Sharia Laws In Iraq's New Government? You Betcha

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-20-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle...a139fa897.html

19 October 2004 -- U.S. President George W. Bush says he would be disappointed but would accept it if Iraqis voted to create an Islamic fundamentalist government in democratic elections.

Bush was asked during an interview with the The Associated Press how he would react if Iraqis someday freely voted into power an Islamic fundamentalist government. Bush replied, "I will be disappointed, but democracy is democracy."

In an effort to quell violence ahead of elections scheduled for January, interim Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi has announced plans to extend a cash-for weapons program nationwide.

Allawi said a cash-for-guns program for Shi'ite Muslim fighters in Baghdad's Al-Sadr City area has been going well and should be extended to the rest of Iraq.

U.S. forces have carried out further strikes targeting insurgents in the city of Al-Fallujah.

A U.S. military statement said the strikes, which ended early today, destroyed suspected safe houses and weapons caches linked to followers of Jordanian-born militant leader Abu Mus'ab al-Zarqawi.

---

Interesting. I guess if enough Muslims in the US want Sharia laws, it'll happen as well. Hey, it's what the majority wants.
Old 10-20-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they managed to change our constitution, then I would agree. That is how I read that.
Old 10-20-04, 04:34 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting. I guess if enough Muslims in the US want Sharia laws, it'll happen as well. Hey, it's what the majority wants.
We would if it was stated that way in the constitution. Perhaps their constitution might be different.
Old 10-20-04, 04:35 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

A Nobel Prize Nominee and I both posted similar posts almost simultaneously.
Old 10-20-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Sharia Laws In Iraq's New Government? You Betcha

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
Honestly, that's kind of silly. In the US, the atheists (13%) outnumber the Muslims (<2%) so it is unlikely they would get a majority. (not to mention the Christians at 70+%, maybe 75%)

In Iraq, the majority is Muslim, even if divided in three warring factions. If they have a honest election and choose sharia, theocracy, etc, I say we say "welcome to your new hellhole" and bail.

They don't have a Constitution that forbids a theocracy, and they have to be a democracy for at least a day or two to decide what form of government they wish to be. There are democratic nations that have official state religions.
Old 10-20-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't you suppose the first thing such a government would do would be to emliniate or change the constitution?
Old 10-20-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Numanoid

Don't you suppose the first thing such a government would do would be to emliniate or change the constitution?

Do you think these things are being planned out by idiots? The constitution will include a section stating that the constitution cannot be changed or eliminated.
Old 10-20-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero