Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How many full size pictures from a 5 megapixel camera will a 256MB card hold?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-20-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Specifically, the Canon A95, though I assume it would be the same for any 5 megapixel camera.
Old 10-20-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

99 large pics on superfine compression.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EevD9Ol...nfo&i=280PSA95

Scroll down to the bottom to see the table.
Old 10-20-04, 03:45 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On a side note, why do the photo's get cropped when you get them developed?
Old 10-20-04, 03:53 PM

Different aspect ratios, i think.
Old 10-20-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the link, I should have known that Crutchfield would have the info.

Their price is a little high at $399, newegg has it for $368 (after shipping), and etronics has it for $360 (after shipping).

Edit: On second look, the crutchfield price of $399 includes a $50 gift card for a future purchase, so their price isn't bad... if you will be buying something in the future from them. In this case I was buying it on behalf of my mother-in-law for a friend of hers in South America, and I don't have any upcoming crutchfield purchases planned, so I'll just go the $360 route through etronics.

Last edited by Heat; 10-20-04 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Heat, Dell has the A95 for $359 with free shipping.
Find some $25 off or 10% off coupon (almost always floating around somewhere on the net) and get it even cheaper.

Edit: B&H Photo/Video in NYC has it for $349 but they probably add shipping.

www.bhphotovideo.com

Last edited by Phil L.; 10-20-04 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 05:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Fok
On a side note, why do the photo's get cropped when you get them developed?
Originally posted by taa455
Different aspect ratios, i think.
taa455 is correct.

Standard 35mm film size is 36 x 24mm, which is an aspect ratio of 3:2. All Digital Cameras use an aspect ratio of 4:3, the same as a standard television monitor. This is because CCD devices are generally made in that aspect ratio, and they simply stick these into camera's as is.

So a normal 6x4 photo size has the 3:2 ratio because it comes from film, and so when you put a digital photo on that paper, some of the top and bottom will get cut off. The paper is the wrong shape for the picture.

The solution to this is to not frame the photos you take too tightly. Leave some headroom or some foot room or preferably both, because if you are going to print the thing on normal photo sized paper, you're going to have to crop it a bit on top and bottom.

Or just don't print your photos. I don't quite get why people want dead tree photo albums lying about anyway. I keep my photos on computer hard drives and on burnt CD's for easy access. The CD's can be played in nearly all DVD players, so if somebody wants to see them, pop in the photo album. Easy.
Old 10-20-04, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Otto
Or just don't print your photos. I don't quite get why people want dead tree photo albums lying about anyway.
If your wife is into scrapbooking, you know why.
Old 10-20-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Phil L.
Heat, Dell has the A95 for $359 with free shipping.
Find some $25 off or 10% off coupon (almost always floating around somewhere on the net) and get it even cheaper...
Is there more than one dell store?

I'm finding it for $399 there:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...&page=external

I believe that I've dealt with etronics before without trouble ($360), and I know that I'll have no problems with newegg ($368). Dell should also be good (shipping the item when they are supposed to), but I'm not finding them at $360.

Edit: OK, this is strange, it is $360 here:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...&page=external

Must be a different Dell store. The URLs are almost identical (cs=04 in one, cs = 19 in the other, whatever cs stands for). Of course, this one charges me $23 or so in tax, so they are out. I can legitimately buy items online and not pay sales tax if they are a gift for somebody outside of Illinois, and Peru (South America) qualifies as being outside of Illinois. Of course, the recepient is responsible for taxes in Peru, but I'll leave that up to him.

Last edited by Heat; 10-20-04 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 04:11 PM

I just got a onecall catalog in the mail. It shows the A95 for $349. Their webiste has it for $359 (399, 10% off). Don't know why the different prices, but if you call and tell them you have their recent catalog with the $349 price, it might work. Free shipping.
Old 10-21-04, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Heat
Is there more than one dell store?
Yes. One is Dell Home, One is Dell Small Business. When you go to http://www.dell.com , you'll find several different places to go. These are the various Dell stores.

Different stores there get you different prices, different discounts, different tax and/or shipping, etc.
Old 10-21-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

taa455 is correct.

Standard 35mm film size is 36 x 24mm, which is an aspect ratio of 3:2. All Digital Cameras use an aspect ratio of 4:3, the same as a standard television monitor.
Not all -- my Kodak camera is 2448 x 1632 pixels, exactly 3:2. However, some other cameras do have a 4:3 aspect ratio. YMMV.

In addition to aspect ratio, there is also an "overscan" issue. Even when 35 mm film is printed, the image is enlarged to ~10% bigger than the paper size, so you lose a little at the edges of your negative. The same seems to occur in printing a 3:2 digital image to 4"x6" print.
Old 10-21-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by taa455
I just got a onecall catalog in the mail. It shows the A95 for $349. Their webiste has it for $359 (399, 10% off). Don't know why the different prices, but if you call and tell them you have their recent catalog with the $349 price, it might work. Free shipping.
$349 would be good, but I've never heard of onecall. Have you ever had any problems with them? All I would be looking for is a company that ships out the product within a couple of days, maximum. I can't wait long for this camera, it will be ordered on Saturday (by my brother-in-law, who is out of town until Saturday), he will be leaving to South Amerca (hopefully with the camera) on November 5.

Also, the onecall site has a nifty chart showing how many pictures various cards will hold, based upon the size of the camera.

Last edited by Heat; 10-21-04 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 05:28 PM

Onecall has always been great for me. Awesome customer support. They have free FedEx shipping right now.
Old 10-21-04, 05:35 PM
Suspended

Well, I dont know the exact number, but I shot for a whole week at Disneyland (and I took a LOT of photos) and ran out of pics on the last day. I had a 5 megapixal camera with 2 128 cards and about 50 megs of internal memory - and I was shooting at the best resolution I could get the whole way.
Old 10-21-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$349 would be good, but I've never heard of onecall. Have you ever had any problems with them? All I would be looking for is a company that ships out the product within a couple of days, maximum. I can't wait long for this camera, it will be ordered on Saturday (by my brother-in-law, who is out of town until Saturday), he will be leaving to South Amerca (hopefully with the camera) on November 5.

Also, the onecall site has a nifty chart showing how many pictures various cards will hold, based upon the size of the camera.
I've ordered from One Call a few times, including an Onkyo surround sound receiver and a Canon PowerShot G5 camera.

I put One Call on par with Crutchfield when it comes to customer service and reliability. They're very, very reliable and fast, and their customer service people are great to deal with.

I would recommend them without reservation.
Old 10-21-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked mine up at Staples. Had them price match (lowest I found was $349) and then used a $30 off $150 or more.

With taxes I walked out at $331.xx

The 1GB card I got will hold 394 pix at the highest resolution so 98 or 99 on the 256mb card is correct.

I even got the underwater kit (Canon WP-DC50) and can't wait to use it next week in Jamaica. I will be sure to share plenty of pix upon my return.
Old 10-22-04, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well hell, after all of my research he wants the Kodak Easyshare DX6490.

Newegg has it for $356 after shipping.

One question: I've only dealt with flash card memory, this one has SD/MMC memory. Would this work (it is a Secure Digital card, but says SD/SPI interface):

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...160-024&depa=0

It doesn't look like onecall caries this camera.
Old 10-22-04, 04:50 AM

Well hell, after all of my research he wants the Kodak Easyshare DX6490.

Newegg has it for $356 after shipping.

One question: I've only dealt with flash card memory, this one has SD/MMC memory. Would this work (it is a Secure Digital card, but says SD/SPI interface):

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...160-024&depa=0

It doesn't look like onecall caries this camera.
Beach Camera has it for $340.50

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...&sku=KDDX6490U'

A friend recently ordered from them and was pleased. I have no experience personally.

Last edited by taa455; 10-22-04 at 04:54 AM.
Old 10-22-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

taa455 is correct.

Standard 35mm film size is 36 x 24mm, which is an aspect ratio of 3:2. All Digital Cameras use an aspect ratio of 4:3, the same as a standard television monitor. This is because CCD devices are generally made in that aspect ratio, and they simply stick these into camera's as is.

So a normal 6x4 photo size has the 3:2 ratio because it comes from film, and so when you put a digital photo on that paper, some of the top and bottom will get cut off. The paper is the wrong shape for the picture.

The solution to this is to not frame the photos you take too tightly. Leave some headroom or some foot room or preferably both, because if you are going to print the thing on normal photo sized paper, you're going to have to crop it a bit on top and bottom.

Or just don't print your photos. I don't quite get why people want dead tree photo albums lying about anyway. I keep my photos on computer hard drives and on burnt CD's for easy access. The CD's can be played in nearly all DVD players, so if somebody wants to see them, pop in the photo album. Easy.
Kind of. Most compact or Point and Shoot digital cameras are developed in a manner that lends itself better to the everday computer user, hence the 4:3 aspect ratio (the same as your monitor in most cases.)

Almost all Digital SLRs (with the exception of the Olympus E1 I believe) have sensors with the traditional aspect ratio of 2:3.