Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone taking allergy shots?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-20-04, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took allergy shots when I was in early elementary school. I need to take them again, but even with insurance, the price of this stuff is EXPENSIVE.

I have a $500 annual deductible, and my allergy serum kit will cost me ~$900 (I have to have two kits because I am allergic to basically everything, so that amount is for both kits).

Is that high? How much have you paid for allergy shots? I would much prefer to be able to get this than to keep taking prescription meds like Allegra D and Zyrtec.
Old 10-20-04, 12:06 PM

I had allergy shots when i was a teenager, but i have no idea what they cost. It was for insect bites and stings, I don't know if they are less or more expensive than other allergy shots.

I guess what I am telling you is I am no help to you whatsoever.
Old 10-20-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for reminding me, I have to schedule an appt.

I only pay the copay for the dr's visit for the serum, then the nurse's visit for the injections. When I first started it was every week, and the copay was $5, then $10, every week. Now, it's $10 every three weeks. My insurance covers everything else.

It's Cigna.
Old 10-20-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I took allergy shots when I was a kid. They were free, because I was 8 years old and sponged off my parents for everything.

My wife is on allergy shots now. They're covered at 100% (less a $25 co-pay) -- although ...

... earlier this spring, the doctor dropped all his insurance (he was fighting with all of them over his reimbursement rates) and neglected to tell us (though he claims he sent a letter to all of his patients). Bottom line, he billed us for that quarter's supply of serum, which was subject to something like a $400 co-pay and then 50% coverage since it was now out of provider. I wound up paying him a couple of hundred dollars (less than he wanted but more than $0), since I couldn't affirmatively prove to my own satisfaction he hadn't given us the notice (it's entirely possible I threw it out as junk mail). He's back on the insurance now, so allis well again.
Old 10-20-04, 01:36 PM
Banned

My insurance pays 90% for both serum and shots. Since the doctor charges $14/shot, I pay $1.40/shot + ~$7 for serum which I have to pay fo revery couple of months. If I wanted to get retested I'd have to pay $35 for that ($15 for a doctor visit and $20 for the actual testing).

I go to the allergist for the actual shot because his office is open 1 day/week after work. If I went to a regular doctors office and got the shot from a nurse it would cost me my regular doctors copayment of $15 and I could not go in the evenings. Also, the nurse doesn't know how to give a shot with the realtively small needle nearly as good as an Allergist who has lots of practice with it.
Old 10-20-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by icondude
My insurance pays 90% for both serum and shots. Since the doctor charges $14/shot, I pay $1.40/shot + ~$7 for serum which I have to pay fo revery couple of months. If I wanted to get retested I'd have to pay $35 for that ($15 for a doctor visit and $20 for the actual testing).

I go to the allergist for the actual shot because his office is open 1 day/week after work. If I went to a regular doctors office and got the shot from a nurse it would cost me my regular doctors copayment of $15 and I could not go in the evenings. Also, the nurse doesn't know how to give a shot with the realtively small needle nearly as good as an Allergist who has lots of practice with it.
I'm sorta the opposite. The nurses seem to have more practice and inject them better. I've had my GP do it and it hurt like heck.

And honestly, over time I've just gotten used to feeling and barely notice it anymore.
Old 10-20-04, 02:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by milo bloom
I'm sorta the opposite. The nurses seem to have more practice and inject them better. I've had my GP do it and it hurt like heck.
I said Allergist himself, not a GP. I imagine that a General Practicioner would have even less practice than a Nurse.

Last edited by icondude; 10-20-04 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had some shots for poison ivy when I was in college, they weren't too expensive, I just had the school nurse give them to me.

They helped me, before I would get poison ivy and it would spread out fairly badly, afterwards I can still get poison ivy, but only in very small patches, and it goes away in a few days (and doesn't itch too bad).
Old 10-20-04, 03:08 PM

So, I wonder...will different allergists require that I pay for the serum up front? Should I see a different allergist? Or, will I have to pay the buttload amount regardless of who will be preparing the serum?
Old 10-20-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you get FSA? You could set aside pre-tax earnings for this stuff.
Old 10-20-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did them for several years, but for free.

They worked well, but now that I'm living in another part of the country, there are other plants and stuff here, so it's not as effective as it once was.
Old 10-21-04, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by heimerSWT
So, I wonder...will different allergists require that I pay for the serum up front? Should I see a different allergist? Or, will I have to pay the buttload amount regardless of who will be preparing the serum?
Depends upon how they do the serum. If you have a non-allergist give you the shot, they have to have it made up in advance and given to your GP. My allergist mixes it himself at the time of the injection from rows of little bottles, so there is no upfront costs for him.
Old 10-21-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the Google ads ... Allegra ad is on top of this thread.
Old 10-21-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also one offering me Medication from India...
Old 10-21-04, 10:48 PM

The only Google ads I get are for multiregion dvd players.