Reload this Page >

How to heal a muscle strain or tear?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-20-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earlier this summer I noticed that the right side of my chest is painful at times. (The spot is about where my right bicep touches my chest when my arm is at my side.) I thought it was a strain, so I laid off the bench press for awhile and even took some time off from the gym (due to laziness, not the pain sadly enough).

Anyway, the pain is back, and it's painful a goodly amount of time, not just when I work out. To top is off, there's the same pain on the left side...in the same exact spot. The left is even more painful.

The pain isn't debilatating. It's just a sharp pain that hurts more when I press on it (obviously). If this was only a problem after the gym, that'd be one thing, but it hurts at work or at random when I pick something up or move my arm in the wrong way.

I iced them both twice yesterday for about 5-10 minutes each. They felt better immediately, but after about 10 minutes, the pain flared back up.

So, what do I do? Take more time off from the gym? Continue icing? See a doctor?

Ideas?
Old 10-20-04, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd take a week off of gym, or just concentrate on other areas of the body instead. If the pain is still there at the end of the week, go see a doctor.
Old 10-20-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How did you hurt it?

Sounds like you may have injured your pec muscle.
Old 10-20-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not 100% sure how I did it. I can't even remember how long it's been hurting. I'm sure it started hurting after a day at the gym, but I took it as soreness. But when it came back days later, then I knew something was up.

I just don't want to go to the doctor only to have him say, "Ice it."
Old 10-20-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you tried an anti-inflamitory, like IB profen?
Old 10-20-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What you were doing is good - in general, for muscle/ligament injuries, ice is extremely good for pain relief and acts as an anti-inflammatory. Advil/Motrin/ibuprofen can also help. Definitely rest the muscle...no lifting!
Old 10-20-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a pretty large muscle tear in my quad muscle about 2 years ago from playing soccer. I had to just ride it out. Surgery was considered, but that's only in severe cases.
Old 10-20-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's just a nagging injury that truly pisses me off. I'm so frustrated that this little nagging thing keeps me from doing the things I enjoy. So I end up ignoring it and doing whatever anyway. This just makes it worse.

My current plan is to ice for a week with no workouts (except running and abs). If it hurts just as bad in a week, I'll see a doctor.

Thanks for the advice peeps.