Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

After 6 years, we still get calls for the deadbeats that had our phone # before us

Other Talk "Otterville"

After 6 years, we still get calls for the deadbeats that had our phone # before us

Old 10-16-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although it hasn't happened in months now, we just got another call this morning from (presumably) some collection agency looking for the people that had our phone number before we did.

This has been going for periodically for almost 6 years.

It started soon after we moved in here and got our current phone #. We would get calls, usually coming in clumps, from all sorts of businesses and collection agencys looking for the people that previously had our new phone number.

These people have got to be the hugest deadbeats on the face of the planet.

We would always tell the callers that "those people" no longer had this number and remove us from your list. But I think they believed we probably were the deadbeats, and were lying about the number so they wouldn't be bothered.

The topper was when we went to Best Buy two weeks ago to buy an item. They went to look up our account using our phone number and those freaking deadbeats showed up in their listing for our number as well as us.

Anybody else ever the previous holders of your current phone number come back to haunt you?
Old 10-16-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We have the same problem, though it's only been going on for the two years we've had this phone number. We still get calls nearly weekly from collection agencies, banks, Blockbuster, and a few others. It drives me nuts.
Old 10-16-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
next time they call, admit you are the deadbeat. then tell them you are not going to pay them and for them to fuck off
Old 10-16-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OMG! Us, too! We get at least 2 calls a week from very unhappy bill collectors. They insist that I am the person they are looking for and after they "verify" my address (my phone number doesn't match the address they have for the deadbeats), I tell them sure, that's where I live and to please feel free to show up.

Last edited by Kittydreamer; 10-17-04 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-16-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I had the same thing happen when I was living in Tucson. Not only were collection agencies calling for the previous number owners, but the police called looking for them, too.
Old 10-16-04, 01:01 PM
Banned

what's your phone number?
Old 10-16-04, 01:55 PM

Had the same thing here, but they stopped calling after around three years.
Old 10-16-04, 02:34 PM

Not exactly the same...but irritating nonetheless.

I live with my fiance. Every time I go to certain stores, they ask me for my phone number when I'm cashing out, so they can pull up my customer info. I give it to them, and they ask me, "Linda?" (my fiance's ex-girlfriend's name....Argh.) And her collectors used to call, but I guess I was lucky...they believed me when I told them she didn't live here anymore...never called again.

-DVD Girl
Old 10-16-04, 03:41 PM
Banned

I've been getting calls for about 18 months (as long as I've had my number) from a law firm trying to contact someone at my number. It's a recording, and I've never bothered to call them. It's a weekly call.
Old 10-16-04, 03:44 PM

i used to get calls for a roofer when i lived in north carolina. It wasn't too bad until huricane season. I would get like 10 calls a day, asking for me to come out and give an estimate
Old 10-16-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts
When I moved into my old apt I got calls the whole yr. Usually some messages waiting for me (them) when I'd get home frow work... one was a girl inviting them to a party (I was tempted to go!) and another from his mom - who doesn't tell their mom they're moving? And another from a really cheesy sounding guy called Gino...

It was amusing for the first couple of months, after that it got pretty old.
Old 10-16-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, but my phone number is one digit off from an IHOP. When they don't get the hint that it's not IHOP as I answer with only "Hello?" I'll play with them. Give them wrong directions, tell them IHOP's closed renovations, stuff like that. It's fun. I haven't gotten any calls for them lately though....
Old 10-16-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

that's why you had your own pancake shop in otterville
Old 10-16-04, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Artman
When I moved into my old apt I got calls the whole yr. Usually some messages waiting for me (them) when I'd get home frow work... one was a girl inviting them to a party (I was tempted to go!) and another from his mom - who doesn't tell their mom they're moving? And another from a really cheesy sounding guy called Gino...

It was amusing for the first couple of months, after that it got pretty old.
I can understand a regular call, but don't people get it when the answering machine says, "Hi, this is Artman, leave a message" and they're calling for Joe?
Old 10-16-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by matta
I can understand a regular call, but don't people get it when the answering machine says, "Hi, this is Artman, leave a message" and they're calling for Joe?
You would be amazed. I just got rid of my phone line that I had for a little over a year. I would consistently get calls for this guy Ed, from friends, family and businesses. It never quit the whole time I had the phone line. I even changed my answering maching to say "If you are calling for Ed he does not live here, he will not get any message that you leave" and people would still leave messages for him. I even got one where his grandfather cursed me out on the machine for some reason. Even on the day I disconnected the line I was still getting calls for him. The whole thing really pissed me off. I would screen every call because I couldn't stand talking to all his moran friends that couldn't understand not to call the number any more. And when I would tell them they had the wrong number they would call back 10 seconds later thinking they had misdialed. I'm glad to be rid of it.
Old 10-16-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by matta
I've been getting calls for about 18 months (as long as I've had my number) from a law firm trying to contact someone at my number. It's a recording, and I've never bothered to call them. It's a weekly call.
I get this one as well.

The phone number I had at my downtown apartment previously belonged to the Gay & Lesbian Community Center. It made for some interesting messages in my voicemail.
Old 10-16-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My phone number was a transposed set of digits off from the county Justice of the Peace, who in my neck of the woods is responsible for issuing warrants in cases of domestic abuse. So once every couple of months, I would get a call at two in the morning or so from a crying or hysterical woman calling to get the wife-beating husband or boyfriend picked up. I would always pick up the phone and give them the correct number since at that point they had more problems than I did.

The number of the JOP must have changed as I haven't received any calls in a couple of years.
Old 10-16-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My friend had to once add "We are NOT a chinese resturant!" to her answering machine.
Old 10-16-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moved into my apartment at the U-N-iversity.
The only one who lives here is me.
So why's the phone ring all day long?
I got no friends expect Mike and he's gone
for the summer. And I just want some peace and quiet,
come to my room and it's a telephone riot.
Ring-a-ling-a-ling, Every time I take a step,
can't eat, can't sleep, can't breath, can't get
any of my work done, cuz people keep callin'
with the same damn question.
Hello, is Shaniqua there?
Nah, Shaniqua moved out last year!
I think you have the wrong number,
this is Little T. You mean Shaniqua's brother?
Man, can't you just leave me alone,
this ain't shaniqua's house this ain't her phone.
and don't call back again, cuz if ya
do, ya know the answer man...

Shaniqua don't live here no mo',
Shaniqua don't live here no mo'!
Shaniqua don't live here no mo',
Is Shaniqua there? HEEEEELLLL NO!!
Old 10-17-04, 03:31 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wouldn't it be worth to change your number?
Old 10-17-04, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally posted by WhoGirl
No, but my phone number is one digit off from an IHOP. When they don't get the hint that it's not IHOP as I answer with only "Hello?" I'll play with them. Give them wrong directions, tell them IHOP's closed renovations, stuff like that. It's fun. I haven't gotten any calls for them lately though....
Reminds me of what happened to my Dad, several years ago: the city started this free service for cab rides home if you were too drunk to drive, they put up flyers in bunches of bars... with a special phone number one-digit off from Dad's phone number. Suddenly he's getting calls from drunk people at 2am (when the bars close), and... have you ever tried to reason with a drunk person? They wouldn't believe him or listen. So he started telling them stuff like OK, we'll send one right over! Oh, and if he doesn't show have the BARTENDER call us back...
Old 10-17-04, 04:10 AM
Banned

Um, change the number.
Old 10-17-04, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My number is one digit away from a gay bar. I get calls all the time. Sometimes I mess around with the callers.
Old 10-17-04, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Rivero
Um, change the number.
Yeah, but do you know how big of a pain in the ass that is? It's like changing AIM Screen names. You have to remember everyone and their brother that you might ever want to talk to again, and send them the new number.
Old 10-17-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've posted this situation in a different thread, but it bears repeating here. I have the same first & last name of someone who lived on a very similar sounding street. I used to live on XXX Place, and he lives on XXX Avenue. His # was unlisted, so when a collection agency called information to get his number, they always gave them mine. I was getting dozens of calls per week, and the calls kept coming even after I told them they had the wrong guy. Finally, I started writing down companies & names and told them I was compiling information for a harassment suit. That stopped most of the calls.

Another instance was when this lawyer kept calling my house looking for someone named Maritza. Apparently she owed them a lot of money on some judgement. One day, my wife answered the phone and this lawyer thought she was lying about it being the wrong number. He started haranguing her, calling her a liar. She was in tears when I got home. I called the lawyer back and sternly told him that he had the wrong #, and if he ever spoke to my wife again, I would come to his office and beat the shit out of him. Never heard from him again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.