France mulls jamming cell phones in theaters

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-12-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

France May Allow Jamming of Mobile Phones

PARIS - Watch a movie or make a mobile phone call. Soon, in France, you might not be able to do both at once.

The government's industry minister has approved a decision to let cinemas, concert halls and theaters install cell phone jammers on condition that emergency calls can still get through, officials said Monday.

Jean Labbe, president of the National Federation of French Cinemas, said the measure was a response to "a long-standing request" from cinemas of all sizes.

Cinemas have invested heavily to improve comfort, and "the authorization of jammers is the cherry on the cake," he told France Info radio.

Industry Minister Patrick Devedjian gave the go-ahead Friday, backing a decision by the Telecommunications Regulation Authority to allow jammers, his ministry said in a statement.

Devedjian specified however that emergency calls and calls made outside theaters and other performance spaces must not be affected.

---

Not that I'm supporting the French or anything, but this might actually be a good idea.
Old 10-12-04, 12:58 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my only issue with it is the following, if I am 'working' and on 'lunch' and happen to be watching a movie, then I can't get called if a server crashes.
Old 10-12-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you are on call don't go to a movie. It is that simple. No one else should have to deal with hearing your call if the server crashes. How hard is it for people to just respect the fact that people want to watch a movie in peace?
Old 10-12-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

I were a French person, I would only agree if I got another full week of vacation out of the deal and move the work week from 35 hours a week to 30.
Old 10-12-04, 01:08 PM

Is this the first good idea to come out of France since, well, ever?
Old 10-12-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by bigrederik
fries?
Old 10-12-04, 01:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: France mulls jamming cell phones in theaters

Originally posted by criptik28
The government's industry minister has approved a decision to let cinemas, concert halls and theaters install cell phone jammers on condition that emergency calls can still get through, officials said Monday.
How is this possible? How to distinguish a non-emergency call from an emergency and "un-jam" it?
Old 10-12-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff
fries?
aren't those Belgian?
Old 10-12-04, 01:15 PM
Banned

Re: Re: France mulls jamming cell phones in theaters

Originally posted by Groucho
How is this possible? How to distinguish a non-emergency call from an emergency and "un-jam" it?
Guessing it isn't. It would be a nice way of saying "yes" without having to say "yes". Politics.
Old 10-12-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fnordboy
If you are on call don't go to a movie. It is that simple. No one else should have to deal with hearing your call if the server crashes. How hard is it for people to just respect the fact that people want to watch a movie in peace?
It is very simple to have a phone on vibrate, notice the call, LEAVE THE THEATER, answer the call in the lobby, and then return to the theater.

To anyone else watching it looks like you went to the restroom or to the concession stand.

I would agree if you get more than one call during a 2 hour movie, then you should NOT be in the movie.

If the phone rings or you answer it while you are still in the thearter (this includes the door shutting behind you), then you need a good ass kicking.
Old 10-12-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by bigrederik

Cointreau
Old 10-12-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Amazing how we as a society could ever function prior to cell phones.
Old 10-12-04, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 4KRG
It is very simple to have a phone on vibrate, notice the call, LEAVE THE THEATER, answer the call in the lobby, and then return to the theater.
It is very simple, people don't and the bottom line is people abuse the shit out of this. Cell phones are one of the rare inventions that are both awesome and unbelievably horrible at the same time. Oddly enough one of the biggest reasons to own one is freedom, yet you end up a slave to frigging thing.
Old 10-12-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
my only issue with it is the following, if I am 'working' and on 'lunch' and happen to be watching a movie, then I can't get called if a server crashes.
Watching a movie on your lunch break?
Old 10-12-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

You have to give the French credit for one thing. They are leaving it up to the business owners to decide. If the US (or a US locality) got involved in this, it would probably be a government mandate one way or the other.
Old 10-12-04, 01:30 PM
Banned

How does one get employed with this company?
Old 10-12-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've done the same. If I don't have a particular project I'm working on, then I take longer lunches, come in late etc. Yesterday I had a few things to do at home, so I didn't come in until 11 (at which point I promptly went to lunch ).

The company benefits when I have to get up at 2am to fix a server, I benefit the rest of the time...

dave
Old 10-12-04, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Red Dog
You have to give the French credit for one thing.

Careful. Giving the French credit for anything as been raised to nearly "you pinko communist" status.
Old 10-12-04, 02:06 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dave and I have the same setup, and like 4krg says, you have it on vibrate get up and leave the theater.

Which on a tuesday at 1130 normally has about 8 people in it, so you are not moving or disturbing people who are there.
Old 10-12-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of emergency could possibly exist that demands your immediate attention when you are at the movies? "Honey, come home quick, the kitchen is on fire!"

And please, parents, I beg of you, don't give me the "If my child were hurt you can damn well believe that I'm taking that call and leaving immediately!" Hooray for you, but it doesn't qualify.

Unless your kid is dangling from a cliff and there are no rescue resources available except for your nuclear powered personal helicopter with Child-Protecting Grappling Hook&#153, then you are not "needed". It can wait.

Besides, in the one in ten million chance that actually happens, I'm sure the management would be happy to come find you.

As mentioned, what the hell did people do before cell phones?
Old 10-12-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Contactsport1
Careful. Giving the French credit for anything as been raised to nearly "you pinko communist" status.

There are easily a dozen odors that we give them credit for.
Old 10-12-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by nevermind
aren't those Belgian?
then who makes the waffles?
Old 10-12-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by twikoff
then who makes the waffles?
Eggo
Old 10-12-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Applause, applause.

People are generally inconsiderate assholes. I don't go to the movies now because of the constant annoyance of cell phones and crying children.

I support these devices wholeheartedly.
Old 10-12-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: France mulls jamming cell phones in theaters

Not that I'm supporting the French or anything...
You know that French bashing has reached new heights of silliness when people start putting such disclaimers in their posts.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.