Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why does France have such relevance?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Why does France have such relevance?

Old 10-07-04, 05:56 PM

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
I'd argue that German is easier to learn for native English speakers, since English is, after all, a 'Germanic' language.

As to the relevance of France, most people have hit upon it pretty well:

1. Nuclear power
2. Security Council Permanent member
3. Former colonial power (probably second only to the British in importance)

As far as school kids learning French, consider this - there are only three official languages in North America - English, Spanish, and French. Due to geographical proximity it only makes sense a lot of kids would learn French. I plan to learn it myself, if only because close to half the movies I watch are in French...
Old 10-07-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
what about French chicks? eh?
Old 10-07-04, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello. French, geographically, still challenges English as one of the most widely spoken global languages. 'Dat's why, aiiii?

[snobbish French accent]Looks like youre Amerikan school system has once again failed your puny cowboy brain.[/snobbish French accent]
Old 10-07-04, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by obscurelabel
Of course, Latin is still taught to some degree today even though being more or less "dead" for over fifteen centuries. Even as recently as ... I don't know ... 150 years ago perhaps? ... Latin was a "de facto" requirement for pusuit of higher learning in the sciences, law, religion, etc.
Yes, but having taken Latin myself in high school I can tell you that at least for me it has been very helpful. Foremost for it's influence in all romance languages, making it a bit easier to learn them. It's also useful for everyday English vocabulary, making those hundred dollar words easier to understand. English, scientific, and legal terms have a very prevalent use of Latin.
Old 10-08-04, 03:13 AM

300 millions Americans, 60 millions Frenchs, 3 billions foreigners...
Old 10-08-04, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thor, I thought you were smarter than this. The real question is, why should the US have so much relevance in the world, with over six billion people and counting? Why should they listen to a 300 million populace?

Why is France relevant? They're our oldest ally. Honestly, doesn't that mean anything to the conservatives on here? If you think about the ages of both countries, the US sure is acting like a stubborn teenager, not listening to its older friend and crying with an attitude whenever it's told to behave or grow up.

Can't you see how pompous we've become towards them just because they've chosen not to join us in the conflict we're in today? I think that was rather wise on their point, not to follow us, and should've served as a warning. Instead, you have citizens in this country changing the name of their fries.

Which country was it that gave us our Statue of Liberty? That helped us revolt from England? Instead of keeping this in mind, all we do now is think about how irrelevant they suddenly are. They have every right to share their opinion, whether the current climate can handle it or not.

Last edited by scroll2b; 10-08-04 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-08-04, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
The real question is, why should the US have so much relevance in the world, with over six billion people and counting? Why should they listen to a 300 million populace?

Maybe because that 300 million are paying, via taxes, for dozens of countries welfare programs and aid, whenever a crisis happens.

I know of no other country that gives more than we do. And it has to stop. We need to take care of our own first. No one else cares about us helping others so it's about time we stopped doing it and then let the world make do on their own.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 10-08-04 at 04:21 AM.