Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What has happened to people on this forum?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-23-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stopped visiting this forum a few months ago when it seemed like people's comments were getting more and more out of hand, and the little cliques had formed to where it appeared as though some members were getting ganged up on for no reason. But my wife was pregnant at the time, so I didn't have much time to visit anyway.

But now that she's had the baby and able to free up more time for me, I started coming back, and eventually started posting again. But it seems as though this forum and the mods have allowed personal attacks, threadcraps, and overall rude comments to permeate every thread without regard for any guidelines, rules, or respect of posters.

The culmination of this (for me, anyway) came from a thread I recently tried to start where I was asking for information and ideas about where and how to sell some photographs. But instead it was open asshole season and they came out of the woodwork with nothing but negative comments about the pic I posted (which i specifically did NOT ask for comments on other than where to sell it) instead of moving on if they had nothing to offer my original inquiry. While I'm a bit insulted (more at the lack of respect shown to the model in the photo I posted), my feelings weren't hurt--I frankly don't give a shit what anyone here thinks (which is why I didn't ask for opinions in the first place). I *know* what's good and what isn't, and someone else's opinion isn't going to change mine when it comes to personal taste. But the mere fact I cannot ask for info without being crapped on is ridiculous and shameful, and speaks very lowly of this forum and those that take pride in welcoming people to it. I finally just deleted the thread because it became obvious I couldn't ask a question without other assholes' impulses to shit on something they don't understand or like (BTW, the model is extremely cute, and if you saw her other pics, you'd be drooling all over her--oh wait, she doesn't have big fake boobs, you wouldn't like her).

It appears as though certain folks here will defend others' rights to say anything they want, regardless of how tasteless, rude, or insulting it might be. I started a thread about San Antonio, and asked about good areas to live and schools. The first reply was some lame comment about getting drunk somewhere--an obvious threadcrap. Not only was nothing done to the poster that crapped on the thread with a comment that had NOTHING to do with what I asked, but I was told to "chill out" by another poster when I commented about the threadcrap...as if *I* was out of line. This has seemingly become acceptable commentary lately, and it's sad.

I thought (and what mods have said) the point of this forum is to serve as a friendly community, and while most poeple here seem to behave themselves, I'm not sure many here would want to belong to a community that was as rude, cruel, and insulting as some of the posters here are allowed to get away with--and I know the difference between friendly ribbing and downright mean. I'm easily one of the most joking, sarcastic people known to friends and family, but even I don't come close to crossing the lines like some of the extremely distasteful, heartless people here.

Since the mods don't seem to do anything about the kind of comments I've brought up, I could only assume that to be an endorsement of the behavior. Maybe I don't pay attention enough, but I can't think of ever seeing a "regular" here suspended or banned for threadcrapping or personally insulting someone recently--and there has been a lot of it going around. Some of us even got somewhat crapped on by someone we were trying to defend in an adult thread. But when I was a new member, I was warned twice for saying things that were MUCH less worse than what regulars say here frequently.

I know I'm not a regular or popular poster here...whatever....I don't care. But maybe this will point out to hopefully the mods will keep a tighter grip on the kind of comments that are driving people like me away from here...unless that's what you all want. What a depressing place to be.
Old 09-23-04, 03:53 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Sometimes people just don't use their BRRRRRAINS before they click. Mmm...
Old 09-23-04, 03:55 PM
X
Administrator

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Did you delete that thread? I can't find it and it's hard to see what happened when I haven't read it.
Old 09-23-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't be fooled by the rocks that i've got, i'm still costanza from the block
Old 09-23-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Sometimes people just don't use their BRRRRRAINS before they click. Mmm...
I can't believe you'd say that about SleepyW in the very first post! How rude!
Old 09-23-04, 03:57 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't see it either or I could have made some negative comment on your picture.
Old 09-23-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I deleted it because it got out of hand and didn't want to see the model in the pic further degraded because of close-minded individuals.
Old 09-23-04, 03:59 PM
Suspended

ebb & frow
Old 09-23-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What has happened to people on this forum?

Originally posted by SleepyW
.I frankly don't give a shit what anyone here thinks ....

Ok. Glad we got <i>that</i> cleared up.
Old 09-23-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't read either thread.

here is a secret: the mods don't read every thread. that is what the Report this post to a moderator link is for. Use it if you think there has been a violation of the rules
Old 09-23-04, 04:02 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
honestly i blame a lot of the Political threads

They get very heated and the baggage from them carries onto other threads with posters who disagreed with each other on political threads having smarmy jabs at each other in other threads

And honestly, i think some long term posters who post frequently have got forum burnout, that's my honest opinion.

Their tolerance of new members has gone right down

Circa 99/2000 this place was a lot lot different
Old 09-23-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There were "violations" in the adult forum recently...nothing happened (that I'm aware of). I would've reported people in the thread in question, but I wanted to delete it due to the comments being made . But it's not just about that thread. It's a general commentary....much of which is summed up by some of the replies here.

And I've been here since 2002...not sure if that's considered a "new" member or not. Regardless of how long someone's been here, respect just goes right out the window with some poeple--and many more prominent members here.

Last edited by SleepyW; 09-23-04 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-23-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dude, take a lot of stuff here with a grain of salt. Don't take everything so seriously.
Old 09-23-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't have any idea how to respond to this thread. I don't have any specific information on the threads you refer too as I didn't participate in them. I also don't have any idea as what you want the end result of this thread to be. Are you waiting for the Mods to ban people, expecting an apology from the threadcrappers or are you just venting?
Old 09-23-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome to the "fun"......
Old 09-23-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Dude, take a lot of stuff here with a grain of salt. Don't take everything so seriously.
This is my point (coming from one of the poeple that crapped on my now-deleted thread). If I ask a serious question or ask for info, why waste your time shitting on it? If you don't have anything to add, move on. But it seems like people like you and others can't wait to either make an uninvited joke or try to hurt someone's feelings...I just don't know what it is.

I don't care what comes of this thread other than maybe having mods be more strict with people that are ruinging people's experience here. I've completely soured now on certain members of the forum that make it no longer enjoyable to participate without fear of being crapped on--and I think I have a pretty thick skin. Some just don't know when to stop or when their negative comments are not welcome.
Old 09-23-04, 04:10 PM
Banned

I wouldn't hold the mods responsible for not taking care of these assholes you are talking about, but I definitely agree that a lot of members here are just plain rude pieces of shit. But that's not just a dvdtalk thing... it's rampant everywhere, not just the internet. Take the mods advice in the post above. Maybe if enough of us take action and report these things, we can get these pieces of shit off the forums. Good luck with your hobby btw!

nova
Old 09-23-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Original Desmond
honestly i blame a lot of the Political threads

They get very heated and the baggage from them carries onto other threads with posters who disagreed with each other on political threads having smarmy jabs at each other in other threads

And honestly, i think some long term posters who post frequently have got forum burnout, that's my honest opinion.

Their tolerance of new members has gone right down

Circa 99/2000 this place was a lot lot different

Agreed on all points.....
Old 09-23-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW - I'd be interested in seeing the photo you speak of.
Old 09-23-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Come on, you kept insisting that the that the picture was irrelevant after I asked you to post it. If it was truly irrelevant, then you wouldn't have posted it.

Yes, I did try to crack a joke about the woman, but I don't think it was insulting.
Old 09-23-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Perhaps he's sick of rude idiots.

Commenting on a photo he posted and making comments about the model's looks is pretty assinine. I didn't read the comments, but I've seen it before. Usually wankers who can't get a lady, pick apart pictures of ones posted, because they hate themselves and realize they will be spanking into the sock for years to come. They breed their own hate of women and hate of themselves.

Quite sad. But I didn't read the thread, so I could be completely off the mark.

Just a guess.

But, yeah, I hate rude fools too.

I'm not all pure and innocent either, and have made a crap or two without thinking, but not in an effort to try to insult people, just sort of in an idea subliminal rememberance or association way. But yeah, I think I've crapped. I try to keep it in the back of my mind, to keep it to a minimum though.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this is the internet... it's not a MENSA meeting
DVD Talk Hero

Minor Threat

FWIW - I'd be interested in seeing the photo you speak of.
Me too. This thread pisses me off. I read the first thread before the photo was posted, and now it's gone, and I missed it. I was curious what kind of stuff we were talking about, but now I'll never know.

Thanks!

das
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I think people just like participating, you know? If you ask a question about San Antonio, there's only a few people who would be able to give you any advice, since most of us have never lived there. You'll rarely see a thread go by with only two responses, though, because if people don't have a serious response, they'll go for a joke response. I don't think most mean it as a threadcrap. I missed the photography thread, though, so I'm not sure what went on in that one.
Banned

Re: What has happened to people on this forum?

Originally posted by SleepyW
]I frankly don't give a shit what anyone here thinks (which is why I didn't ask for opinions in the first place).
Relax man.
Be an asshole to someone today. Someone else will treat you like an asshole another day. I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.