Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What do I use to remove the dealer sticker from the truck of my car?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-07-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to remove the dealer tag from the back of my car but I 'm not sure how to do it. It isn't a sticker or a badge but it's painted on. What would I use to scrub it off without damaging the paint?
Old 09-08-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 09-08-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
A threadcrap from Trigger? No way!
Old 09-08-04, 12:22 AM
Suspended

Why don't you take it to a body shop you know and see what they say?
Old 09-08-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
bring it back to the dealer, and they should take it off for ya
Old 09-08-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

but, if you wanna do it yourself, use a hair dryer to heat up the badge, then use floss to ease it out.
Old 09-08-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by D.Pham00
but, if you wanna do it yourself, use a hair dryer to heat up the badge, then use floss to ease it out.
Sweet advice Dpham...that's the way to go. Then clean up the remainder of the residue with some goo gone or "bug & tar remover" which you can get in the auto section at walmart. and be sure to run over that area with wax real quick too.
Old 09-08-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What, pray tell, is "the truck of my car"?
Old 09-08-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

crap, i just re-read the first post. how is it painted on? any pic?
Old 09-08-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It always irritates me that dealers put these on the vehicles they are selling. If they want to put those stickers on, how about paying advertising fees for my carting their logo all around town?

I'm always surprised to see people leave them on, or the equally ugly license plate covers.
Old 09-08-04, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Goo. Gone.
Old 09-08-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Numanoid
What, pray tell, is "the truck of my car"?
It's what happens when you misspell trunk.

Last edited by Mopower; 09-08-04 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-08-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by D.Pham00
crap, i just re-read the first post. how is it painted on? any pic?

I don't know. It's not a sticker or a badge. It's like printed on the car. But you can feel the letters. They are raised so it's kind of like paint. I'll just ask the dealer next time I get my oil changed.
Old 09-08-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally, I use a clause in the purchase contract that says the deal is null and void if there is any dealer badging on the car at delivery. It works quite well, but it sounds like it is too late for you to use that.

If painted on, I would expect it to be pretty hard to get off without damaging the car's paint job, the trunk or the area may have to be repainted.
Old 09-08-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NitroJMS
It always irritates me that dealers put these on the vehicles they are selling. If they want to put those stickers on, how about paying advertising fees for my carting their logo all around town?

I'm always surprised to see people leave them on, or the equally ugly license plate covers.
Agreed.

Before we bought our Acura, we kindly asked that nothing is on the car from the dealer.

Edit: OldDude beat me to it. OldDude.
Old 09-08-04, 09:08 AM
Banned

Are you sure that it is painted on?

That's way too much trouble for the dealer. Most likely it's some sort of decal that looks like it's painted on.

Try removing it and get rid f the residue with gasoline. Goo Gone is way more expensive than gas; I don't know why anyone uses Goo Gone. Then wash the gasoline residue off with soap and water.
Old 09-08-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by icondude

That's way too much trouble for the dealer. Most likely it's some sort of decal that looks like it's painted on.

Try removing it and get rid f the residue with gasoline. Goo Gone is way more expensive than gas; I don't know why anyone uses Goo Gone. Then wash the gasoline residue off with soap and water.
I suppose because Goo Gone doesn't smell like gas?
Old 09-08-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by CRM114

we kindly asked that nothing . . .
You must be kinder than me. I think the dealer would probably describe me as "really quite adamant about it."
Old 09-08-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The worst dealers are the ones that use a badge that gets rivet on the car. I don't ask the dealer not to have anything, but I will try my hardest to find a dealer that only uses a stick on badge that I call easily peel off.
Old 09-08-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always REQUIRE that any badges that are stuck to the car are removed prior to signing the purchase contract. I dont think this is an unusual request as I havent had a dealer refuse to do it yet. I wouldnt risk damaging the paint of my new car make the dealer do it and show you that its been perfectly removed. Plate frames or front plates are a different story I just remove them when I get home.
Old 09-08-04, 10:38 AM
Banned

Originally posted by CRM114
I suppose because Goo Gone doesn't smell like gas?
That's why you have to wash off the gas residue. I'd probably want to wash off the Goo Gone residue too. I can get a whole gallon of gas for $1.82 A small bottle of Goo Gone costs more than that. I just take s glass jar with me when I get gas and put some in, it's no big deal.
Old 09-08-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mopower
A threadcrap from Trigger? No way!
You asked for a way to remove a dealership badge without damaging the paint - I figure posting a pictutre of rusty farm tools would be kinda funny. No need to accuse me of threadcrapping - is this the first time someone on DT has asked a simple question and people post joke answers? This place is like Hollywood Squares - you ask a question and get a bunch of bad jokes before finding out what the answer is. Aside from that, I try to help people and answer their questions all the time - so painting me as some sort of chronic threadcrapper just indicates some resentment you are harboring against me. I don't know what for, but I'd suggest you get over whatever it is because I'm not out to get on anyone's bad side and I can't think of anything I've said to intentionally irk you in any way.

And on topic - I fully intended on answering your question when I clicked on the thread, but you said it was painted on in the post (but you said it was a sticker in the thread title) and I didn't know the answer anymore.
Old 09-08-04, 06:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by NitroJMS

Refuse acceptance if it's decorated. I require that of all cars I've bought.
Old 09-08-04, 06:46 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by icondude

Gas will damage your paint a lot faster than Goo Gone...in addition, Goo Gone won't melt the sticker.

Also- if you've got those idiotic LOUD yellow "danger airbag" labels on vinyl/plastic sunshades, you can remove those with 91% rubbing alcohol.
Old 09-08-04, 06:50 PM
Banned

kerosene

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.