Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do Indians who come to America not use deodorant?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-07-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reminded of this from Classicman's stinky bear friend thread.

When I was in college, going to the computer labs was a test of odor endurance. Inevitably, the seats were packed with students from India, and the smell was overwhelmingly bad. Even in the early morning or late at night when the students were not there, the awful stench remained. Everyone I've talked to who has been near a computer science building has agreed, or brought the subject up themselves. You can literally smell it at least 30 feet away.

Now, maybe this is fine for India, but most people here in America (white, black, Asian, whatever) try to use deodorant and bathe once a day. These students aren't homeless. Granted, this is a small sample size (only computer science students), and maybe Indian arts and sciences majors smell dandy. I don't know, because the only Indians I have seen have been computer science students. Check the enrollment list for any major university's computer science program, especially upper level CS -- it will be 95% Indian.

So anyway, why don't they attempt to improve their hygiene? Why don't their friends say, "Hey! You stink!"?
Old 09-07-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have work with many Indian and Pakitisan people. I can tell you many of them do not smell.
Old 09-07-04, 09:34 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. I am Indian and many of the people that grew up in India don't use deoderant. Don't know why, don't know if they've never been told that they should.
Old 09-07-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We have friends from India... they do not stink.
Old 09-07-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
SUNY Buffalo has a lot of international students
it's not just Indians that stink
and
not all Indians stink
but there's quite a bit of BO at that school, and very little of it is coming from 2nd or later generation Americans
Old 09-07-04, 09:41 PM

You should hear what people in other countries think of us. Ever heard the term The Ugly American?
Old 09-07-04, 09:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by orangeguy
You should hear what people in other countries think of us. Ever heard the term The Ugly American?
At least you can't smell them coming...
Old 09-07-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
We had an Indian guy who ran the computer lab at my law school. He had a pompedour and constant B.O. We called him Smellvis.
Old 09-07-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What?? At least we smell good.
Old 09-07-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Please threadcrap somewhere else.
Old 09-07-04, 09:51 PM

Yes, some of them might smell, but no more than some of you might smell. It's not too much that they smell, but it's a particular stink that's making you think it's Asian Indian. We've fixed in a culture that's heavy on perfume and air fresheners. You might say that compare to many other countries, we're obsessed.

As for that particular stink. Sometimes it's due to certain kind of body ointment or lotion. One of which is coconut containing product. Coconut contains saturated fat that could rancid and smell.
Old 09-07-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was talking about this same thing in the friends who stink thread. I guess I was giving the Indian students too much credit and thought it had to do with cooking habits. The women that I spoke to in my business classes smelled fine, but the computer lab was nasty. I should have been handing out trial samples of Right Guard, I guess.
Old 09-07-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Luc TC
Yes, some of them might smell, but no more than some of you might smell.
That's just not true. The only places in my campus that stunk were the computer labs where the Indian students hung out. This is a widely-experienced phenomenon from those I've talked to. These students were not using any type of hygienic product as far as I could tell.
Old 09-07-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Luc TC
As for that particular stink. Sometimes it's due to certain kind of body ointment or lotion. One of which is coconut containing product. Coconut contains saturated fat that could rancid and smell.
Actually, I was going to blame it on food. What's that spice that reaks like BO?
Old 09-07-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This sounds like a huge generalization. I know plenty of Indians that have no offensive body odor. Don't get me started on those fucking Canadians though. Peee-yuuuuuu.
Old 09-07-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There was this Indian guy I knew when I went to a tech school that smelled extremely pungent all the time. Here was was this guy in his late forties, a family man. But I tell you -- this was unlike any odor I have ever smelled. It was quite rancid. He sure didn't smell like curry or spices. It was more like he never bathed once in his life. And he never washed his hands after using the rest room, even when handling his naughty bits to ensure the aim was accurate into the urinal. I mean, at times, I wondered if he bathed in his own excrement or something. It was that bad.

While we were always cordial and businesslike to him when we conversed, we all concurred (when he wasn't around) just how bad the odor was. It was enough to trigger one's gag reflex after some point. You would literally have to hold your breath when you were near him.

But for the most part, I considered him an exception and not the rule.
Old 09-07-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did most of my work from home because I couldn't stand to work in the computer labs.
Old 09-07-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
We had an Indian guy who ran the computer lab at my law school. He had a pompedour and constant B.O. We called him Smellvis.
Quite literally made me and the gf
Old 09-07-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 165 Likes on 91 Posts
I'll have some Right Guard outsourced to Bombay in the morning ...
Old 09-07-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BigPete
Actually, I was going to blame it on food. What's that spice that reaks like BO?
Curry. I was in a house once which was owned by Indians and I nearly fell on the floor. The minute the door opened I thought I was going to
Old 09-07-04, 11:29 PM
Admin

Received 306 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by Obey The D
Curry. I was in a house once which was owned by Indians and I nearly fell on the floor. The minute the door opened I thought I was going to
This is true from my experiences. bhk, maybe you'll disagree, but when I have had food with curry in it, I personally have noticed more of a smell from my pores the day after. Unless you plan to rub SpeedStick all over your body, there's not much that can be done about this. Perhaps the 1st gen Indians you know stick with their traditional spicing of foods, therefore lots of curry. Some asian cuisine is also uniquely "spicy" shall we say. They are clean people, but the spice can be detected eminating from their pores. Unless you moderate the diet, you're going to have that smell.
Old 09-07-04, 11:32 PM
Suspended

Are you talking about FOB Indians? 'Cause the few Indians I know smell like everybody else.
Old 09-08-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mopower
What?? At least we smell good.
I'm not sure if that's true. I've heard that many Asians find westerners to smell funny. Something to do with milk/dairy in the diet?
Old 09-08-04, 12:10 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Look, just train them to do your job and get out. Once the company sacks you you won't have to smell them any more.
Old 09-08-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
This sounds like a huge generalization. I know plenty of Indians that have no offensive body odor. Don't get me started on those fucking Canadians though. Peee-yuuuuuu.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.