Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Think your gonna need open heart surgery in your lifetime?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-07-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I for one sure as HELL hope not!

But I'm kinda thinkin' (in reality) I'm gonna need it sooner than later, and THAT SUCKS!!!

Sometimes I feel a pinching in my chest and it bothers me, but not enough to tell a Doctor about it 'cause I think it's only stress or something not so serious...but WHO KNOWS???

I suppose that "stress test" I'm gonna have will let me know for sure...

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 09-07-04 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-07-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's no history of heart disease in my family, but I can't say that I live a "heart-friendly" lifestyle. Unfortunately, my father-in-law is due to have his second bypass surgery next month. He's in pretty good shape otherwise, so we're hopeful for a swift recovery.
Old 09-07-04, 10:52 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
I go in and have it every month or so, just to make sure everything is pumping cleanly.
Old 09-07-04, 10:56 AM
Banned

If you live long enough, you probably will need open heart surgery. Thankfully, the doctors will have lots of practice before they get to you.

It's all the prostate stuff that I'm really not looking forward to.
Old 09-07-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Clinton's surgery is kind of eerie to me. We're almost the same age and have many of the same conditions. He had no known history of heart disease but has had high cholesterol, high blood pressure and hasn't been exercising. Now I just read he has GERD which I also have. It's me!

Also, my mother had no known history of heart disease and died of a heart attack at 58.

I take pills for all that stuff (as well as Crohn's Disease) and everything seems to have been well controlled. The best news is I had a stress test a week and a half ago and the doctor said I did so well he was tempted to tell me to keep up my sedentary life style. I can't believe I'm monitered as closely as Clinton though, so I'd better watch my symptoms.

Good luck on the stress test, EK.
Old 09-07-04, 11:34 AM
Suspended

Start cutting down on those Monday Sizzler's, Tuesday Applebee's, Wednesday Chocolate Factory, Thursday Chevys, Friday TGIF, and weekend BBQs,
Old 09-07-04, 11:36 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
So, if we learned anything from this thread it's that Bill Clinton secretly poses as a Libertarian on Internet message boards.
Old 09-07-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I keep in good shape cuz I workout a lot so hopefully no. But my family does have a history of diabetes so I have that to look forward to
Old 09-07-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hopefully not. Aren't they close to releasing some new drug that basically is draino for the heart?
Old 09-07-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
Hopefully not. Aren't they close to releasing some new drug that basically is draino for the heart?
Yep, any day now. In the meantime, doctors say to just keep taking regular Drano.
Old 09-07-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

It's my belief that some of our members are in need of brain surgery - now.

On second thought - I don't believe brain surgery has progressed far enough to benefit them.
Old 09-07-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By the time I could possibly need open heart surgery, it'll be 2035 or so, and by that time I expect them to be able to stop my life functions, matter transport my old heart, and implant an accelerated growth heart using stem cells.
Old 09-07-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TracerBullet
By the time I could possibly need open heart surgery, it'll be 2035 or so, and by that time I expect them to be able to stop my life functions, matter transport my old heart, and implant an accelerated growth heart using stem cells.
Don't believe it. We were all supposed to be in flying cars like 20 years ago and we still ain't got that yet.
Old 09-07-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see how I could possibly avoid it. I mean, other than eating better and getting out more.

These potato chips I'm eating right now say I will need one sooner than later.
Old 09-07-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope not. I've seen a lot of cardiology procedures and they just don't seem like fun ( like radiation of heart arteries to help prevent restenosis). I eat pretty well (lots of soy, veggies, and lean meat) and I'm active, but sometimes you never know. I have low cholesterol and blood pressure but these things can change with time.
Old 09-07-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by dork
Yep, any day now. In the meantime, doctors say to just keep taking regular Draino.

Well what do ya know?

Draino for the Heart. (VIDEO STORY)

Draino for the Heart (VIDEO SCRIPT & LINK)

Link

OKLAHOMA CITY (Ivanhoe Newswire) -- Researchers say a new therapy that was created after observing the population of a small town in Italy may actually reverse heart disease in some patients.

Fourteen years ago, Bob Garrison had a heart attack -- an event that led to several angioplasties and eventually to Muhammad Yasin, M.D., an interventional cardiologist at Southwest Cardiologist Associates in Oklahoma City.

“Bob was known to have coronary artery disease. He came in with what we call unstable angina or acute coronary syndrome, where he was ready to have a heart attack,” Dr. Yasin tells Ivanhoe.

He asked Garrison to participate in a clinical trial to reduce the plaque in his heart. Garrison said yes. “They injected a solution in my arm, and I sat for about an hour," he says. "Then you left for a couple of hours, and then I came back, and they did some other things.”

To reduce years of plaque that had built up in Garrison's heart, Dr. Yasin injected him with a lab-produced version of HDL, or good cholesterol. “In the long-run, there is a reduction in the plaque size," says Dr. Yasin. "In the short-run, I think we decrease inflammation in the artery wall.”

Those injections of HDL have the potential to reverse years of heart disease. “This is the first time we have proved that this medication, or any medication, can cause significant reduction in the plaque size,” Dr. Yasin says.

Garrison says he feels great and is grateful he avoided what he feared could have happened. “I'm sure I would continue to have angioplasty or maybe finally open-heart surgery.” Now, he's doing all he can to protect his health and his heart.

Garrison received five weekly infusions of HDL. Dr. Yasin says that the 4-percent reduction in the plaque on Garrison's artery wall would have taken years using standard drugs.

(The way the "Talk" is running today, we could use some Draino in the forum!)

&

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 09-07-04 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-07-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 571 Likes on 376 Posts
Yes. This is assuming a heart attack doesn't kill me before hand....
Old 09-07-04, 06:07 PM

I have heart problems in my family. I watched my dad almost die right after open heart surgery. It really made an impact on me. I don't eat much red meat and now I'm working out 3 to 5 times a week. Cardio and weights. I haven't lost weight but I have toned up and built my cardio workouts up to about 22 minutes. The highest my total cholesterol has been is 169, the lowest was 102. It usually averages about 130 to 135. I know that even though I am trying to take care of myself that if I live long enough I will probably have heart problems. I am trying to do all I can to put it off as long as possible. I am 38 years old and weigh about 220 , I am trying to get my weight down to about 200 even and I think that is a realistic goal. I have a stress test about every three to five years now.
Old 09-07-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
Uh...no. They're testing different injectable "clot busters" in Europe, but coronary bypass surgery (actually CABG, or coronary artery bypass graft) will still be the treatment mainstay of major/multi-vessel disease for a while.

On a side note, I plan to do this for a living, so it had BETTER still be a viable option in 6 years' time! Not that I'm not all for less invasive interventions and all...
Old 09-07-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually had an EKG done this morning. I was feeling weird heart beats last night at work, but I was fairly certain it's related to acid reflux problems I've been having the last month or so.
The doctor pretty much confirmed that. Even though it looks like I'm okay, I don't enjoy having a reminder every few minutes of my mortality when I feel these heart palpitations.
Old 09-07-04, 07:35 PM
Suspended

Re: Think your gonna need open heart surgery in your lifetime?

Originally posted by The Edit King
Well, I for one sure as HELL hope not!

Old 09-07-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've already had CLOSED heart surgery.
Old 09-07-04, 08:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
So, if we learned anything from this thread it's that Bill Clinton secretly poses as a Libertarian on Internet message boards.
Old 09-07-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
You people have no hearts, so how can you possibly say yes.?

I hope not
Old 09-07-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably. Angina and heart disease run very heavily in my family. I figure that evens out the good looks...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.