Reload this Page >

Car Dealer Experience From Hell- Hudson Toyota- Opinions and Advice

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-31-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Want to hear the worst experience at a dealership.... here it is...

First a little background- I went friday night looking for a new SUV. i test drove the Nissan Armada and at Nissan, it was a great experience. No problems and very good salesman.

So i wanted to test drive a Sequioa. I arrived at Hudson Toyota and the sales people were hanging outside. One comes up to me and the sales man greeted me. He showed me the car and i made it clear that after i test drove the car maybe we can talk about numbers. Fine. My girlfriend and I were waiting for like 20 to 30 minutes just so he can find the keys to the car.(mind you in Nissan, i only waited 10 minutes).

When he finally found the keys, he (and this is the ultimate) beeped the horn to come out. He freaking beeped the horn. My patience was wearing thin but i handled that fine. He didnt open the door for me or my girlfriend. I opened the door for my girl and the back seat was down. He didnt even help to fix that. Instead he said " just leave it there and sit over here". i fixed it for her and we test drove the car and that wasnt pretty as well.

Finally we come back and he wants to talk numbers. i was pissed as it is but i liked the car so i didnt mind now. Then he said how much are you willing to pay, i said " well is there a way we can price match the car". he said you know what yeah but it is impossible. I can even give you the number at cars direct(mind you, i got an extremely low price for the car i wanted from cars direct). So i said fine.

here is where it hits rock bottom. He asked if the trading in my car would make the deal. i said not necessarily because it depends on the deal. So he asked what Nissan wanted to give me for my car. Nissan wanted to give me $15000 for my car so i told Toyota $16000. Just to see what they have to offer. So he said let me run it by my manager. My girlfriend and i are waiting there and then we heard a laugh and he walks back giggling and says "you know what, you got your leg pulled there because your car in the blue book is only worth $6000." He began to clean his desk threw out my paperwork and said " i will get you your license". i was like jaw dropped. He came back with my license and he was still giggling. i couldnt stand it anymore and i told him " Did you realize how rude you were this whole time? This was the worst experience." and he just says " what i was wasting your time." And he proceeded to the door and opened it, for us to leave.

I was livid and i still dont know why i didnt tell the manager but i was ready to destroy the place.

But i clearly stated that if i didnt do the trade in that i would do the deal for the right deal.

So i just called the Toyota Main Headquarters and talked to their Customer Relations and made a formal complaint and made it clear that i will not stop until i get an apology or something.

So what do you guys think or what do you suggest?

Last edited by raven56706; 08-31-04 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-31-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I think that sucks but I do not think Toyota will do much about it. I would try dealing with the fleet manager or the online group.
Old 08-31-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
something seems fishy to me that one dealer was giving you 15K for your trade and the other was going to give you 6K. What kind of car are you trading in? Year and mileage please....

The manager didn't want to deal with you because he new your car was not worth the 16K you were asking for and decided to throw you out because there was no way he would of came close on hat trade in.... If you told the manager 8K then that might of been different....

It really didn't sound to bad until they showed you the door.... I think you over reacted up until that point. You can't expect every salesman to be kind and courteous.

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 08-31-04 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-31-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

car sales people lie. nissan may have lied about the trade in value. they quote you one number and then when things get rolling they say there is a problem and give you a lower trade in value.
Old 08-31-04, 09:45 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Buy the Nissan. Drive by the Toyota dealer and honk and wave. Asshole car dealers have been around since the car itself.

Last edited by AndyCapps; 08-31-04 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-31-04, 09:48 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by ANDREMIKE
You can't expect every salesman to be kind and courteous.
Why not? It's his money. There are too many car dealers in this world to waste time/money on a shitty one.
Old 08-31-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ANDREMIKE
something seems fishy to me that one dealer was giving you 15K for your trade and the other was going to give you 6K. What kind of car are you trading in? Year and mileage please....

It really didn't sound to bad until they showed you the door.... I think you over reacted up until that point. You can't expect every salesman to be kind and courteous.

2000 Ford Explorer- 30000 miles

You mean to tell me a salesmen would beep the horn for the people to come out... no way.

Plus they want my business..... they would have treated me alittle bit more fairly.

Plus like i said, i would have done the deal without the trade in
Old 08-31-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/pr...&src=VIP&tab=1

nissan may have lied to you.
Old 08-31-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No I told Nissan $12000 but they said if you were to do the deal today, that they would give me $15000 for the car.

Even if they lied, dont you think i would not check the Blue Book for myself and see that it isnt valued at $6000
Old 08-31-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by raven56706

Plus like i said, i would have done the deal without the trade in
Then they were truely idiots...

I didn't know all of the details about your car but according to Kelly Blue book your truck would of been worth around 9000K. Why don't you go to Kelly Blue book and see what you get for trade in value..

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.u...&&&usedcarstab
Old 08-31-04, 09:59 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by al_bundy
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/pr...&src=VIP&tab=1

nissan may have lied to you.
I wouldn't say they lied. They probably padded the trade-in value instead of taking $3000 off the price of the new vehicle.
Old 08-31-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Trade-In Value List Your Car For Sale Online $10,225
Trade-in value represents what you might expect to receive from a dealer for this consumer owned vehicle. Keep in mind that the dealer must then absorb the cost of making the vehicle ready for sale, advertising, sales commissions, arranging financing and insurance and standing behind the vehicle for any mechanical or safety problems.

Private Party Value Search Local Listings for This Car $12,280
Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private party.

Nissan was giving me a full loaded Pathfinder Armada from $42000 to $38000..
Old 08-31-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Buying a car from a dealer is like war. No rules, nothing is fair, nothing is honest.

Their mission in life is to extract as much money from your wallet as possible and they have several tricks by which to do it. If the dealer thinks you are too hard of a sale and they won't make enough off of you to bother, then they will treat you without any respect.

If they think you are a sucker and they can pull thousands out of you without much work, then they will kiss your ass and rape you

Find a dealer that is hurting for a sale and you will find a good deal.

Don't bother complaining to the manufacturer, it won't do any good.

I have had one dealer pull some pretty shady stuff with regards to advertizing and reported them to my state board. After months, and showing proof of deceitful practices, the dealer was given a written warning and no fine or other punishment. They know they can get away with just about anything to get more money from you, so they do.

If you don't like the deal or the dealer or the salesman, walk away and go somewhere else. I have driven hours away from my home to buy a car from a dealer that I liked and was willing to give me a better price. Not all of them are complete theives, just most
Old 08-31-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Trade-In Value List Your Car For Sale Online $10,225
Trade-in value represents what you might expect to receive from a dealer for this consumer owned vehicle. Keep in mind that the dealer must then absorb the cost of making the vehicle ready for sale, advertising, sales commissions, arranging financing and insurance and standing behind the vehicle for any mechanical or safety problems.

Private Party Value Search Local Listings for This Car $12,280
Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private party.

Nissan was giving me a full loaded Pathfinder Armada from $42000 to $38000..
I get around $48000 fully loaded 4WD on carpoint. Was that price with the trade in or before the trade in?
Old 08-31-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Nissan was giving me a full loaded Pathfinder Armada from $42000 to $38000.
Do you even need a Pathfinder in Jersey?
Old 08-31-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

no it was $42000 fully loaded and he would bring it down to $38000 and give me $15000 for my car if we did the deal
Old 08-31-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

2004 pathfinder i take it
Old 08-31-04, 11:14 AM
Banned

It's my understanding that Toyota and possibly Honda dealers are the worst.
Old 08-31-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2004 Pathfinder Armada... it was fully loaded with leather and Bose
Old 08-31-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

anytime business is good the dealers will act like they are doing you a favor selling a car. Wait till things get worse and they will be begging for business.
Old 08-31-04, 11:32 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Toyota dealers have a bad reputation that is known to their head office, hence when they started a luxury division, they wanted it sold by different dealers.
Old 08-31-04, 11:38 AM

The problem with Honda and Toyota is that, in general, demand is higher then supply. I know one guy who paid MSRP for a Honda. When he tried to negotiate, they told him there were people lined up waiting to buy them.
Old 08-31-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Raven, you should expect courtesy and respect from a car dealership. Look..there should be very little, if any, drama when it comes to spending your hard earned money. That's why I'm not driving a Honda now. I'm the one who is going to pay that expensive car note every month so I don't want any grief when purchasing. The Honda dealer that got on my nerves lost a sale.
Old 08-31-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Update: I received a call from the dealer(Hudson Toyota) and it was a representative from their customer relations division. I told her the problem again and she was liked bothered by it as well. She was like " wow. I am so sorry about that. I will pass this to my manager and you will be receiving two apologies. One from the sales manager and the customers relation manager."

I guess they realized something
Old 08-31-04, 12:01 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Tell them you would take a free car over the 2 apologies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.