Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Noise laws?

Old 08-29-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noise laws?

I was curious if anyone was familiar with the sound laws in NJ. My friend was playing a movie with surround sound, and the people downstairs called to complain at around 8:30 at night. I had always thought that until 10 you couldn't really complain about it, and to be honest the noise wasn't loud. The apartments just don't seem to have any soundproofing. He didn't want to do it this time (wasn't the first time), and she ended up calling the cops. Now forget the part about where he could have turned it down just to keep the peace.

When the cops came they said that he had to turn it down. He claimed that the noise laws apply to people talking, and not to movies or something like that. I can't imagine that he wasn't lying because how could people talking in person be different than people talking on screen. So could someone explain the laws to me?
Old 08-29-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noise laws deals anything with noise. most of the time, loud parties playing music.

there is no 10pm limit of the "noise" law. it is in effect 24 hrs a day, but more so strict once the sunsets.
Old 08-29-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i went to a counting crows concert here in vegas a couple of months ago. it was held outside at the beach at mandalay bay. the opener went on at 9 til 930ish, then cc came on and had to be done by 11 because there is some stupid law about no loud outdoors concert after 11. i'm still pretty bitter over the shortened concert. why couldn't they have started an hour earlier?
Old 08-29-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Noise ordinances vary by city. You should find out what they are exactly.
Old 08-29-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Noise ordinances vary by city. You should find out what they are exactly.
I tried to look them up on the internet for the town, but I could not find anything at all. The town is Kearny, NJ if anyone wants to lend a hand.
Old 08-29-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the rules of the apartment building also matter. Most cases the rules are that anything cannot be heard outside your apartment. No matter how thin the walls are.
Old 08-29-04, 03:57 PM
Banned

Most places in New Jersey use the model noise ordinance: http://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/noise-ord.pdf

In your friends case, if it produced sound above 55 dB, it was probably in violation.
Old 08-29-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Otto
Most places in New Jersey use the model noise ordinance: http://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/noise-ord.pdf

In your friends case, if it produced sound above 55 dB, it was probably in violation.
shit, 55dB is nothing man...that's probably the sound of traffic on the street.
Old 08-30-04, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by D.Pham00
shit, 55dB is nothing man...that's probably the sound of traffic on the street.
I agree, I was simply quoting the law in the link. All those noise levels seem *way* low to me.. But then they are using A-weighting, which is weird. I usually use C weighting, I think.
Old 08-30-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the cop is not too informed.