Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

New York Times Article About Survey of 9/11 Families Reveals Nothing Interesting!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

New York Times Article About Survey of 9/11 Families Reveals Nothing Interesting!

Old 08-28-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk about a non-story story. The New York Times did a survey of 9/11's families about their feelings about everything - Bush, Kerry, terrorrism, Iraq, etc and the results were completly boring and didn't reflect anything beyong what national polls. Everything split about 50-50
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/29/po...29poll.html?hp

Whoever greenlighted this colossal waste of time and money is probably pretty red faced...

My questions:
1.) Just because someone was dating a victim makes them important enough to poll?
2.) Do these families get a special place in our discourse because they lost somebody on 9/11? They are already getting a more than generous payment from the government
3.) The only thing of interest in the poll was that it took longer to do the poll because people are justifiably hestitant to talk to pollsters
4.) Is this on the front page of the NYTimes tomorrow? Talk about putting something on the front page just because you did the poll!
Old 08-28-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still wanna know why they got any federal money in the first place.
Old 08-28-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is some more interesting information about the bogus methadology:

The study differs from a scientific survey in that the total population of living relatives of 9/11 victims is unknown and therefore could not be sampled precisely or randomly. Since the answers from the 339 respondents in the study cannot be projected to a definable population, no margin of sampling error can be calculated. For that reason, the accompanying article avoids giving specific figures in most cases.
So how can the New York Times say in the story that

he New York Times shows that those with the most personal connection to 9/11 - those who lost a loved one - differ from the public at large on some political and national issues: They are more skeptical about national safety and less impressed with the administration's efforts before and after the attacks.?
If its not scientific - how can they make that statement?
Old 08-28-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
I still wanna know why they got any federal money in the first place.
Hint: Peel Wood.
Old 08-28-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it's such a non-story for you, why don't you consider making this a non-thread?
Old 08-28-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is interesting that the New York Times would publish a story about seemingly nothing.
Old 08-28-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: New York Times Article About Survey of 9/11 Families Reveals Nothing Interesting!

So that people will not assume that your intepretation of this article has anything to do with the article itself, take a look at what you said at the top of this thread, and compare it with what the article actually says:

Originally posted by chanster
Talk about a non-story story.....
3.) The only thing of interest in the poll was that it took longer to do the poll because people are justifiably hestitant to talk to pollsters

And from the article:

Another way the study differs from a typical Times poll was unexpected: The process of interviewing respondents took longer than for a typical poll because many questions stirred still-raw emotions.
Some respondents began crying, and one was so upset by a question about Mr. Bush that she began screaming. A typical telephone interview for a New York Times/CBS News Poll can be completed in 15 to 20 minutes. Some interviews for this study lasted more than an hour.

Why do you even bother with the NY Times if you have a low reading comprehension?
Old 08-28-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: New York Times Article About Survey of 9/11 Families Reveals Nothing Interesting!

Originally posted by marty888

Why do you even bother with the NY Times if you have a low reading comprehension?
Old 08-28-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm, I don't see anything wrong with what I said. They were hesitant to talk to the pollsters because of their loss. So go ahead and bark up another tree, little doggie.
Old 08-29-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by chanster
Hmm, I don't see anything wrong with what I said. They were hesitant to talk to the pollsters because of their loss. So go ahead and bark up another tree, little doggie.
It doesn't say hesitant though. It said it stirred emotions which lengthened each call. Basically what I'm reading is once the emotions were stirred, these people talked more and longer than typical. Hardly hesitant if you ask me.
Old 08-29-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm, it says nothing about talking more. Try again. It does say longer because people's emotions were getting in the way...which is what I interpreted to be hesitant to answer questions because of their emotions.
Old 08-29-04, 02:19 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Re: New York Times Article About Survey of 9/11 Families Reveals Nothing Interest

Originally posted by marty888

We're supposed to be keeping these disucssion civil. If you cannot do so, then I would strongly suggest that you simply not participate at all.