Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever purposely tried to see how sheepish people can be?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-28-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't even know if that's the right term. I guess it'd be better to ask if you've ever tried to see if you could actually get people to act like sheep...to just do what you want without them knowing why or what they are doing.

I was in town today, and for some reason this just came to me. Do you think it would be possible to go somewhere in public, say Wal-Mart or whatever, and if you just stopped in the crowd and start clapping for no reason, all the while shaking your head, acting like you are about to cry, and looking like you are very very proud of someone, do you think you could get a domino reaction started of people around you joining you in clapping?

I'm a bit psycho, I know.

Have any of you ever tried to do anything like that before?
Old 08-28-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I often wonder stuff like this.

I wonder what would happen if Bill Gates walked into a boardroom, dropped his pants, and took a shit. Then walked out of the room for a few minutes, and came back acting like nothing happened. Would anyone say anything?
Old 08-28-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sure, on the west coast it happens all the time. But in South Carolina, no way, are you nuts?
Old 08-28-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

never with clapping, but I tried looking up towards a building on a busy street - got about 20 or 30 people looking up at the same time... people continued to look up as I walked away.
Old 08-28-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder very odd things from time to time. I just hope I'm not alone.

*shivers* Dear God I hope I'm not alone!
Old 08-28-04, 10:14 PM

If you yell "FIRE!!!!" in a public place and run like hell, I'm sure you'll get a lotta followers. But, I hear it's illegal to do that. So don't.
Old 08-28-04, 10:18 PM

Could be pretty interesting to see, in a Jackass sort of way. I bet you'd get at least a few people to clap with you. Try it out.
Old 08-28-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if it would work with lauging over and over again while pointing.
Old 08-28-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I know how to get many people to stare at their computer screen when there's really no point.

Old 08-28-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, one time at Disney World there were 2 lines leading to this ride and I went to the right when everyone was going left and then everyone behind me went right also. But amusement parks shouldn't count because everyone acts like sheep there.
Old 08-28-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like it would be fun to try... I heard that if you stand somewhere, with a lot of people around and pick like a spot on the ceiling to stare at, other people will start looking to see what you are looking at up there.

I tried that in the hall when I was in highschool, only thing happened was I about got trampled.
Old 08-28-04, 11:10 PM

Remember the "We Will Rock You" clap? One time, a buddy and me started doing that waiting for a movie to start. Full theater, lots of seats. We didn't say anything to the crowd, we just started doing it, to see if anybody would join us. Within about 15 seconds the whole theater was doing it.
Old 08-28-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I once saw a three stooges short where one of the stooges had his neck worked on and as he left the building he was holding his head back as if he was looking at the sky. Everyone on the street looked up, too.

It isn't difficult to get people to follow a lead.
Old 08-28-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well DUH! They assume you are looking at something interesting That's not the same as running around a Wal-Mart clapping like an idiot. Then they'll just stare at you.
Old 08-29-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, most people will look up as they pass by.. I don't think many would stop and look, but some would.
Old 08-29-04, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably an Urban Legend, but maybe not:

I heard a story once about a college class that used to be very loud and obnoxious whenever the professor would write on one side of the board, but if he wrote on the other side, they'd all be quiet and pay attention. They eventually "trained" the professor so that he would only write on the right-most 25% or so of the board.
Old 08-29-04, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by Mongo
Probably an Urban Legend, but maybe not:

I heard a story once about a college class that used to be very loud and obnoxious whenever the professor would write on one side of the board, but if he wrote on the other side, they'd all be quiet and pay attention. They eventually "trained" the professor so that he would only write on the right-most 25% or so of the board.
Legend. Might be based on some bit of truth, but it's since been exaggerated, and altered with every retelling.
Old 08-29-04, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A while ago they did an interesting study on Dateline or 20/20 about social deviance. If I recall, they would have small groups of people in a room and show them a picture of some lines, and they had to tell the observer which line was the longest. They had one guy in the group as a plant, and he would choose the wrong line, but would be told he was right, and the ones answering correctly would be told they were wrong. After a while, most members of the group would start answering wrong, just so they would get a "correct" answer. It was an interesting look into how people will conform their behavior according to what they are being told is right, or even just popular.
Old 08-29-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by FinkPish
A while ago they did an interesting study on Dateline or 20/20 about social deviance. If I recall, they would have small groups of people in a room and show them a picture of some lines, and they had to tell the observer which line was the longest. They had one guy in the group as a plant, and he would choose the wrong line, but would be told he was right, and the ones answering correctly would be told they were wrong. After a while, most members of the group would start answering wrong, just so they would get a "correct" answer. It was an interesting look into how people will conform their behavior according to what they are being told is right, or even just popular.
I saw that also, it was Dateline I'm pretty sure. What was also interesting about that study was that they found that the people who were more creative(painters, writers) were much more likely to go against the rest of the group and not give in to the peer presure.