Reload this Page >

What paint do you recommend?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-28-04, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm painting a condo in the next couple of weeks. I'm not going to drop a LOT of money, but wouldn't mind buying decent paint if it's good stuff.

I've mainly done my shopping at Home Depot so far and found that Glidden paint may be the best bang for the buck. I came across this paint test that pretty much verified what I thought about Glidden, but I'm not sure how accurate the test is. Seems to me that Behr is overpriced for average paint.

Searching on another forum, seems like there are two camps ... Sherwin Williams/Benjamin Moore vs. Whatever they sell at Home Depot/Lowes. The SW/BM people will tell me that I'm going to spend more money per gallon (almost $10-15 more) and the HD/Lowes who will tell me that their paint lasts just as long as the better quality paints.

Any suggestions??

Last edited by ChiTownAbs, Inc; 08-28-04 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-28-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bump. slipping fast.
Old 08-28-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc.
bump. slipping fast.
Your "supposed" to sand the lumps before you paint, and stop adding so much water! & & &

OH, WELL...

I've done a lot of painting in my day, and I gotta tell ya, I started using Valspar's "American Tradititon" (from Lowes) and it is the absolutely Best Paint "I" (for one) have EVER used.

It goes on smooth as silk, and it is very SEXY!

It costs a bit more, but in this case, you really get what you paid for!

Thread Commercial:

"Since 1806, Valspar has developed a full line of interior and exterior paints, stains, primers, faux finishes and cleaners. Most finishes are washable and stain resistant and feature easy application, low odor and soap and water clean up of paintbrushes and tools. The products are sold at hardware stores and their American Traditions line, which has excellent hiding, mildew resistance, and stain coverage is available at Lowe's Home Improvement Centers."

I give it:

&

Hands Down!

(...but with the thumbs still up...of course... )

Hey, CTA!

Check THIS out.

Then, if ya wanna see what the colors look like, click HERE, skip the intro, and "Paint a Room" (Well, in reality, it would be better entitled: "Click a Color"... ).

But, if you don't like American Traditions...

Here's a link to a site where you can read an article about The Top 8 Interior Paint Manufacturers, that might better help you decide!

Whatever you choose,

Good Luck (put plastic down), &...

HAPPY STROKING!

No smiley was harmed during the making of this post.

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-28-04 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-28-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

wife and i used ralph lauren which is made by glidden. We tested benjamin moore, but we didn't like that the result on the walls was a lot darker than what the little sample stip looked like. We spent almost $300 on BM samples. People we talked to said that with BM you have to purposely choose a light color since it looks darker on the walls.

Then we tried ralph lauren and liked it. The result on the walls was just as it looked like on the strip making it easy to match up colors for the walls and the trim.

What I didn't like about BM was that at the small stores it was manually mixed. RL is computerized mixing in Home Depot. If you get BM make sure you go to a big store and have it mixed by a computer. I talked to the paint guy at home depot and he said that the bases are all pretty much the same and the difference is in the pigments.
Old 08-28-04, 01:12 PM
Banned

Old 08-28-04, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by The Edit King
I started using Valspar's "American Tradititon" (from Loews) and it is the absolutely Best Paint
Loews Cineplex sells paint???
Old 08-28-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Myster X
Loews Cineplex sells paint???
MISQUOTE!!!

GEOFF!!! X!!! RANDY!!! BFRANK...(naw & )...NEMEIN!!!

I don't know WHAT your talking about....

(HEY! There was no "CG" used in that post! All of those characters & smileys, CAPS & Bolds, Italics and the like that you see there were PAID EXTRAS!!! I can't be responsible for every Tom, Dick & freakin' Harry!!! I'm NOT "Cecil B. DeMille" ya know!!! I'm just a humble THEEK! trying to pass some gas here!!! And although it was quite an undertaking and nothing less than a Glorious & Wonderful "THREE LINK-EDIT KING THREAD PRODUCTION" (if I might say so myself) INCLUDING, a "Sponsor" (AKA: Commercial spot), I was only bloviating, so, why not give a guy a break...HUH???)

Spoiler:
Actually, it's ALL "CG"...isn't it?

YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU, MAN!!!

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-29-04 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-28-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by al_bundy
wife and i used ralph lauren which is made by glidden.
What makes RL paint so much better than Glidden paint itself?
Old 08-28-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Myster X
I recommend Behr as well. They are rated best by Consumer Reports.

RL Paint is basically Glidden paint w/ an RL sticker on it. (ok, maybe a bit better quality) but still doesn't justify the cost. RL paint is only good if you're going to texture.

I used Behr, 2 coats, and I am extremely happy with the color and how it came out.
Old 08-28-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc.
What makes RL paint so much better than Glidden paint itself?

they have better colors and you can use some of the time consuming paint techniques on RL paint. The bases in the can are the same across all brands. It's the color combinations that each brand supports that make it stand out.

http://rlhome.polo.com/rlhome/produc...nt_testers.asp

RL paint is more expensive per gallon, but with all our trouble of picking out the right color of benjamin moore, we would have saved around $200 with RL paint. We picked out a few color strips in the store, got the samples and picked out the colors from the first batch. With BM we spent over $300 buying small sizes because it was always too dark after we painted a strip on the walls. No matter how light it was in the store.

Last edited by al_bundy; 08-28-04 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-28-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We used Behr paint when we painted last fall. I highly recommend it. Excellent coverage.
Old 08-28-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any opinion on Glidden?
Old 08-28-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think CR gave it an OK rating, but the RL line was much better. I'm happy with it.
Old 08-28-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Ralph Lauren paint.

We recently finished our basement and used both Ralph Lauren and Behr. The Ralph Lauren paint IMHO came out better looking, smoother and seemed to cover better. I did all the painting and all of the new drywall was primed with the same amount and type of primer.
Old 08-28-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We used Glidden in one bathroom. Eh - ok I guess. We used Lowe's American Tradition in the kitchen. It was pretty good but at the time the nearest Lowes was 50 miles away so I didn't want to keep going there for paint. The rest of the house is Behr Premium Plus and I won't buy a different paint again (of course I only have one stairway to do and then it's all done for awhile).

As for the Ralph Lauren, we had one of their chips color matched to Behr Premium Plus. The wall looks just like the chip, and I saved $$$.

BTW Abs, no matter what paint you decide on, get quality rollers and brushes. The extra $ spent is well worth it in the long run.
Old 08-28-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use BM on all the apartments I rent. Good old linen white for studios and colors on the expensive ones. Never had a problem with it.
Old 08-28-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Krylon silver metallic = best for huffing out of a paper bag.
Old 08-28-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife and I used Behr for our dining room and entry way. It looks good and seems to be a fair price.