Tampa Police officer threatens to kill President Bush

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-28-04, 01:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=9734

Tampa, Florida - Tampa police officer Joseph Mazagwu has been arrested and charged with threatening to kill President George Bush when the President was here in July.

STEVE HOGUE, Tampa Police Chief:
“He apparently went in to a local business and made these comments. It was reported to another police officer and we called the Secret Service at once.”

In Federal Court today, the U.S. Atty.’s office quoted Mazagwu’s conversation with a dry cleaning employee on July 15th. Mazagwu allegedly said he wanted nothing to do with protecting the President and went on to criticize the President’s policies in both Iraq and Africa. The conversation ended with Mazagwu allegedly saying that both the President and his father, former President Bush, should be shot.

He reportedly went on to say that if he had enough bullets, he’d shoot the President in the head himself.

STEVE HOGUE:
“When we became aware of the charges, we took his gun and badge immediately.”

Mazagwu has no prior criminal record and served in the Army from 1991 to 2002 when he was discharged with honor. We told Florida Governor Jeb Bush, the President’s brother, about the arrest today.

GOVERNOR JEB BUSH, Florida:
“I don’t have much to say other than that this person must be mentally disturbed to say something like that. I know it’s not indicative of the Tampa Police Department because they are a great group of people.”

STEVE HOGUE:
“I am highly disappointed in this officer for saying this and I want to let people know it will not be tolerated.”

If convicted of this crime, Mazagwu could face up to five years in prison and would never be allowed to own of have a gun again.
Old 08-28-04, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Once again Florida in the spotlight for negative news.
Old 08-28-04, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm, if someone said the same thing about another person who wasn't president, they wouldn't have the same charges put on them I guess. Curious what others think of that? does it make sense?... after all, the president is granted special powers, he should get special protection... Or is it unfair because it treats him like he's more important than anyone else?
Old 08-28-04, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Once again Florida in the spotlight for negative news.
it was a person, not florida that said this.
Old 08-28-04, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by BizRodian
Hmm, if someone said the same thing about another person who wasn't president, they wouldn't have the same charges put on them I guess. Curious what others think of that? does it make sense?... after all, the president is granted special powers, he should get special protection... Or is it unfair because it treats him like he's more important than anyone else?
i agree with you. we should all have secret service agents protecting us.
Old 08-28-04, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BizRodian
Or is it unfair because it treats him like he's more important than anyone else?
He is more important than anyone else.
Old 08-28-04, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by LuisL
it was a person, not florida that said this.
i haven't heard a state ever say anything. people representing the state, yes, but not the state itself.
Old 08-28-04, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
He is more important than anyone else.
He isn't, the position is. He just happens to be there in this point in time.
Old 08-28-04, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i agree with you.
How can you agree with me? I didn't specify which one I said I agreed with, I asked what others thought. I really have no thought on the matter, and was wondering what others thought.
Old 08-28-04, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, the US Gov't must really want Bush dead, because arresting this guy and putting him in prison is only going to piss him off.

Good job.
Old 08-28-04, 02:43 AM
Banned by request

It was stupid for him to say something like that. He was probably just venting steam, but here's someone who has access to guns as part of his job, and is meant to protect people. At the same time, it's true that if he said that about almost anyone else, he would not have been discharged. Is it an overreaction? Probably. Is it surprising? Not at all.
Old 08-28-04, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think its an overreaction, if this were China he'd be dead already.
Old 08-28-04, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know that he should be locked up but he's certainly too much of a hot head to be a police officer.
Old 08-28-04, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hot Head? Police Officer? No way!
Old 08-28-04, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think its an overreaction, if this were China he'd be dead already.
What does one have to do with the other? We should be more like China?
Old 08-28-04, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by D.Pham00
i haven't heard a state ever say anything. people representing the state, yes, but not the state itself.
thanks for the sarcasm...put a smile on my face.

i'll spell it out for you next time so that you understand that that's exactly what i meant.
Old 08-28-04, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

lame...
Old 08-28-04, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
lame...
It's the law and has been for quite some time. Or is your reaction based more on who occupies the office at this time
Old 08-28-04, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

it's lame because he was just blowing off steam - he's a cop, right? He's actually got plenty of bullets for bush... if he really meant to carry out such a plan, then I can see a reason for his arrest. As it stands though, it's stupid that he goes to jail for that.
Old 08-28-04, 08:06 AM

it's lame because he was just blowing off steam - he's a cop, right? He's actually got plenty of bullets for bush... if he really meant to carry out such a plan, then I can see a reason for his arrest. As it stands though, it's stupid that he goes to jail for that.
As I understand the law making threats is enough regardless of whether or not the person really has the means/access to do it. Now I'm sure someone just blowing off steam may be investigated and it'll be left at that, however this was a cop who would possibly have been on the President's protection detail when he was in Tampa next. Should we just let it ride until we see if he makes a move?
Old 08-28-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Polizei
Well, the US Gov't must really want Bush dead, because arresting this guy and putting him in prison is only going to piss him off.

Good job.

I agree. They should've shot that cop in the back of his head in a dirt field.
Old 08-28-04, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, the cop sure as hell isn't saying he didn't say it--at least so far anyway.

Which is odd. I mean, if he and the dry cleaning employee were the only ones present in the conversation, he could simply say he didn't say it. So, either this cop must have a hard-on for prison and unemployment, or there's something I'm missing here.
Old 08-28-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Giantrobo,

I think you meant they should've shot Bush in the head the minute things turned stupid in Iraq.
Old 08-28-04, 09:24 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by nemein
As I understand the law making threats is enough regardless of whether or not the person really has the means/access to do it. ...
Yes, but did he actually make a threat? From the article it makes it sound more like a commenatry on his opinion than a threat.

Someone saying "the President and his father, former President Bush, should be shot." isn't the same thing as someone saying "I'm going to shoot President Bush".
Old 08-28-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Polizei
Giantrobo,

I think you meant they should've shot Bush in the head the minute things turned stupid in Iraq.

I NEVER SAID THAT AND I HOPE CARNIVORE ADDED YOUR ASS TO ITS WATCH LIST!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.