Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Breaking News-FBI Suspects Israeli Spy in Pentagon

Old 08-27-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breaking News-FBI Suspects Israeli Spy in Pentagon

Edit-They just posted the story
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in639143.shtml

(CBS)_CBS News has learned that the FBI has a full-fledged espionage investigation under way and is about to -- in FBI terminology -- "roll up" someone agents believe has been spying not for an enemy, but for Israel from within the office of the Secretary of Defense at the Pentagon.

60 Minutes Correspondent Lesley Stahl reports the FBI believes it has "solid" evidence that the suspected mole supplied Israel with classified materials that include secret White House policy deliberations on Iran.

At the heart of the investigation are two people who work at The American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), a powerful pro-Israel lobby in Washington.

The FBI investigation, headed up by Dave Szady, has involved wiretaps, undercover surveillance and photography that CBS News was told document the passing of classified information from the mole, to the men at AIPAC, and on to the Israelis.

CBS sources say that last year the suspected spy, described as a trusted analyst at the Pentagon, turned over a presidential directive on U.S. policy toward Iran while it was, "in the draft phase when U.S. policy-makers were still debating the policy."

This put the Israelis, according to one source, "inside the decision-making loop" so they could "try to influence the outcome."

The case raises another concern among investigators: Did Israel also use the analyst to try to influence U.S. policy on the war in Iraq?

With ties to top Pentagon officials Paul Wolfowitz and Douglas Feith, the analyst was assigned to a unit within the Defense Department tasked with helping develop the Pentagon's Iraq policy.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has been made aware of the case. The government notified AIPAC today that it wants information about the two employees and their contacts with a person at the Pentagon.

AIPAC told CBS News it is cooperating with the government and has hired outside counsel. It denies any wrongdoing by the organization or any of its employees.

An Israeli spokesman said, "We categorically deny these allegations. They are completely false and outrageous." The suspected spy has not returned repeated phone calls from CBS News.

I suspect this will lead to some interesting discussions, but remember let's try to be civil. It seems like alot of folks I know think that criticizing Israel is the same as being anti-semetic but I think that's definitely not the case.
Anyhow, I'll chime in with my thoughts later.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 08-27-04 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-27-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not shocked if this pans out.
Old 08-27-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Doesn't suprise me one bit!

Anyone who reads REAL news sources like Indymedia and Democratic Underground knows the Israel was behind 9/11. They must be cruising right along with their plan to turn the US against the Arab world!!!...OMG!!!1
Old 08-27-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk God

They've done it before, so it would hardly be suprising.
Old 08-27-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep. Israel is behind ALL actions in the Middle East. They are also behind Bush's nomination for president, and corrupted the Florida voting so that it tilted in Bush's favor.

Yah gotta love CBS news. I'm surprised Dan Rather isn't on the White House footsteps, reporting this.
Old 08-27-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well since everything a few weeks before and during the Democratic Convention was dismissed as politics and evil republican conspiracies I wonder why no one is saying the same thing. Maybe this guy just "accidentally" tucked some documents into his socks like Sandy Berger
Old 08-27-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone who thinks we're not spying on Israel... raise your hand.

Anyone?
Old 08-27-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
In the spy business, everyone spies on everyone else.

Next thread please.
Old 08-27-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There must be a reason this story was leaked, and it sure wasn't due to Israeli spying.
Old 08-27-04, 09:16 PM
Banned

Obviously the news agencies reporting this need to be fined by the FCC and be made to attend sensitivity classes and holocaust museums. Anti semitism has no place in the news.
Old 08-27-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Halo babeee, my name is Isthak Steinberg, *cough, cough*, I mean my name is Jim Smith."
Old 08-27-04, 09:40 PM
Banned

Funny joke but you should be made to watch Schindler's List three times in a row as penance!
Old 08-27-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Obviously the news agencies reporting this need to be fined by the FCC and be made to attend sensitivity classes and holocaust museums. Anti semitism has no place in the news.
Yes because people are claiming anti-semitism in this thread. Nice smear.
Old 08-27-04, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by Lux Interior

you should be made to watch Schindler's List three times in a row as penance!
Much anger in this young Lux Interior.

Last edited by milpool; 08-27-04 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-28-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oy
Old 08-28-04, 09:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This doesn't surprise me one bit. I've never considered Israel a real ally of the US anyway.
Old 08-28-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm sure the US got this reliable information from a source within the Saudi Embassy.
Old 08-28-04, 09:29 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by kvrdave
They've done it before, so it would hardly be suprising.

Yup... and it's probably reasonable to believe that every foreign government that has the resources is spying on us in one manner or another.

It's also probably safe to assume that we are spying on, or at least trying to spy on, any and all other countries that we believe might be a resource of information.
Old 08-28-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Dead

It's also probably safe to assume that we are spying on, or at least trying to spy on, any and all other countries that we believe might be a resource of information.
And to check the validity of info we get through "normal channels."

Our Iraq "intelligence" might suggest we need to spy more.
Old 08-28-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Funny joke but you should be made to watch Schindler's List three times in a row as penance!
Get over yourself, buddy.
Old 08-28-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by wendersfan
This doesn't surprise me one bit. I've never considered Israel a real ally of the US anyway.
What does that mean?
Old 08-28-04, 12:39 PM
Banned

Well luckily this has already been buried somewhat by the Saudi run media. For a second there I thought our 51st state might have been falsely accused of something there! *wipes sweat off brow*

I think a free shipment of bulldozers is in order here!
Old 08-28-04, 12:47 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by IMRICKJAMES
Maybe this guy just "accidentally" tucked some documents into his socks like Sandy Berger
Funny that you should mention Sandy Berger. That could make some sense out of his escapades.
Old 08-28-04, 12:50 PM
Banned

Sandy Berger was framed though.

-edited to keep name change intact-

And this thread makes me want to watch They Live again.

Last edited by Lux Interior; 08-28-04 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-28-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why would Israel even need a spy in the US, what with the way we bend over backwards to their every whim?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.