Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Be the first kid on your block to get the 9/11 Toy!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-27-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toy In Candy Bag Appears To Depict 9/11 Attack

PHOTOS: See Images Of The Controversial Toy

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A bag of candy shocked a local grandmother and will most likely shock you. The toy inside looks like a plane flying right into the Twin Towers. Now, that toy is off some local store shelves because of our story.

9/11 Toy Photo 1 082604
MORE IMAGES OF TOY
It doesn't stop there, though. That grandmother was surprised, again, when she read the numbers imprinted on the toy.

Until Thursday afternoon, the little toys were on sale to kids around Central Florida -- two towers with a jetliner in between that appears to be crashing into one of the buildings. They come in packages along with candy.

We talked to a grandmother who couldn't believe what she'd inadvertently bought for her grandson.

"It makes me angry," Anna Rodriguez says. "I was offended because I couldn't believe that someone would give something like that to a kid."

When Rodriguez let her grandson pick out a bag of toys and candy, she never realized what was inside until her own son noticed the disturbing toy.

"[He said] look at the toy. I said, 'Let me see it,' and when I looked at it I was outraged. I was like, what? No way," Rodriguez says.

She purchased the toy at a local grocery store. We found more packages still hanging on the candy rack. The storeowners were appalled when they saw what a distributor for Lisy Corporation, based in Miami, brought to their store. The store pulled the bags from the shelf Thursday.
Rodriguez has pictures of the Twin Towers in her living room to remember the victims of 9/11. She says there is no mistake what the toy represents, especially when you look at the product number on every single toy: 9011.

"Everybody knows it's about the twin towers and it's nothing to be joking around about," says Rodriguez. She believes someone out there did it on purpose. "Whoever did this knew what they were doing, they definitely knew."

A company called Lisy Corporation distributes the candy bags. They said they are also offended by the toy and have pulled 17,000 of the toys.

Lisy says they bought the toys, sight unseen, from L and M Import/Export of Miami. We talked to L and M and they say they have no problem at all with the toy and don't consider it offensive at all.

We even pointed out to the import company that every single toy has a stock number on the front that reads "9011." L and M Imports didn't find it all coincidental and said it's just a toy. Asked if they'd talk on camera, they said there is nothing to talk about.

Fortunately, the product is being pulled from the shelves here in Florida.
http://www.wftv.com/news/3684494/detail.html

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 08-27-04 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-27-04, 03:28 PM

Old 08-27-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The fact that people are getting upset over this does not bode well for my plans to launch an Auschwitz-themed line of toys.
Old 08-27-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Jason...I think theres no problem...remember Alan Alda in that Woodey Allen film?

Tragedy + Time = Comedy

60 years is enough.
Old 08-27-04, 03:33 PM
Banned

ebay!!
Old 08-27-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
Jason...I think theres no problem...remember Alan Alda in that Woodey Allen film?

Tragedy + Time = Comedy

60 years is enough.
If Johnny Carson couldn't pull off Abe Lincoln jokes, even in the 1980s, what chance do I have?
Old 08-27-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Woo-hoo! Orlando makes the news again!!
Old 08-27-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty twisted. What is the yellow button for? Does it make the plane spin or somethin'?

Oh, and L and M Import/Export suck ass.
Old 08-27-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this is much more entertaining than the gator bite

I wonder which grocery store it was- I'd buy some of those.
Old 08-27-04, 04:17 PM
Banned by request

Was the toy named "Dirty Sanchez" or "Donkey Punch"?
Old 08-27-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This same thing was in the papers in Boston just before the DNC last month.
Old 08-27-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Quatermass
This same thing was in the papers in Boston just before the DNC last month.
party favors for the convention?

Okay, okay, don't bite my head off.
Old 08-27-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-27-04, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JasonF
The fact that people are getting upset over this does not bode well for my plans to launch an Auschwitz-themed line of toys.
Pfft. Your toy idea is lamer than FDR's legs.
Old 08-27-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

was watching/listening to FNC .. they just called it a "toy of terrorism" or something..stupid (imo)
Old 08-27-04, 07:25 PM
Suspended

Re: Be the first kid on your block to get the 9/11 Toy!

Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
We even pointed out to the import company that every single toy has a stock number on the front that reads "9011."
So remind me again - what are the other 89 months of the year before September?
Old 08-27-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm appalled

That's not even close to scale!
Old 08-27-04, 07:59 PM

This thread is called "Be the first kid on your block to get the 9/11 Toy!" but I see no ordering information or links to sites in which I can get this. How can I be the first kid on my block with this awesome toy? At this rate, I'll probably be the last kid to have it! I'm distressed, to say the least.
Old 08-27-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, not only are the Israelis behind the war in Iraq, but now China is creating toys which promote terrorism.

Wow.

Just wow.

The only breaking news left is a Canadian conspiracy. Probably this weekend.

Anyone ever notice these news stories happening around Labor Day? Hmmmm.
Old 08-28-04, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont have a problem with anyone who thinks that this reminds them of 9/11, yes there are similarities, but also people are overly sensitive to 9/11. Understandibly overly sensitive but overly sensitive none the less. Try to imagine that 9/11 didnt happen and look at this toy...no one would look at it and say that looks like a plane about to hit the WTC. The buildings look nothing like the WTC except they are both relatively similar to each other. The tops and the sides of these buildings dont resemble the WTC. The WTC towers arent connected like these buildings are. The plane is a novelty design nothing like a real plane other than having wings. This is kind of like the Kevin Garnett commercial with the man jumping off the building. A lot of people were talking about how it looked like 9/11, but I don't think the people jumping on 9/11 were concerned with doing an artistic looking dive like the man in the commercial. Now I apologize in advance if this comes of as insensitive. I completely understand if people have problems with this toy or that commercial. The point of view I have is just trying not to have 9/11 dictate general things like a toy, tv, movies etc. I think it can lead down a slippery slope as well as remaining this affected by the events keeps the stigmatizing effect alive. I think, for example, watching a movie that has a burning skyscraper, or a TV show with terrorists, and not reliving 9/11 heals the wounds of that day better.
Old 08-28-04, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. 9/11 was terrible but being so soft on anything that resembles a plane and two towers, is getting pathetic.
Old 08-28-04, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
So folks are just now beginning to be able to joke about the situation? Hee, guess I don't feel so bad anymore for being able to enjoy tribute.avi
Old 08-28-04, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 08-28-04, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
So folks are just now beginning to be able to joke about the situation? Hee, guess I don't feel so bad anymore for being able to enjoy tribute.avi
you mean this? - I wasn't deeply offended, but I didn't find it remotely funny either. Then again, I never thought Benny Hill was funny in the first place.
Old 08-28-04, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I know I'm going to regret this...

but what exactly is tribute.avi?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.