Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What are your thoughts on Calling People Back (Returning Phone Calls)?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-27-04, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was having a discussion with some people about calling others back and it seemed very odd to me because its something I had never really thought about before.

My sister and I were raised to believe that if someone calls you, you call them right back. Usually when I get a message, Im calling the person back as I hear the message! Weve always been that way and because of that, I kind of expect peopel to call ASAP as well. My mom on the other hand takes a long time to call peopel back, even if my dads right there telling to return the calls.

I was talking to my friend and she was telling me that she hardly ever calls anyone, even her family, back. Its just something that she has that makes her thing shes bothering people and doesnt really return calls, unless theyre really important.

Basically everyone I know is laid back when it comes to returning calls. Ive been with friends when they get a message and they dont return the call, and I ask "arent you going to call them back?" Theyre just like "Nahhh, ill talk to em later."

So whats everyones views on call backs? Are they to be taken litley and with the thought, "Theyll call bakc later, or Ill talk to them some other time" OR am I just anal about everything?
Old 08-27-04, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not a big believer in calling people right back, it pisses some girls off, but my friends know it's nothing personal....they know I'll call then back when I get around to it....or am coherrant enough to operate a phone
Old 08-27-04, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate....HATE when ppl don't return my phone calls.

-pedagogue
Old 08-27-04, 02:34 AM

I hate it too, but it seems so common, even between family memebers" to not return calls for awhile. Or even to not return and wait for the person to call when you are ready to talk.
Old 08-27-04, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm too lazy to use the phone half the time. Unless its really urgent I will just get around to it when I feel like it, my friends don't really care. But I am not much of a phone person.
Old 08-27-04, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

e-mail me and I'll probably reply pretty fast... I'm slower on the phone call return though unless it's important.
Old 08-27-04, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: What are your thoughts on Calling People Back (Returning Phone Calls)?

Originally posted by Ravenous

I was talking to my friend and she was telling me that she hardly ever calls anyone, even her family, back. Its just something that she has that makes her thing shes bothering people and doesnt really return calls, unless theyre really important.
I can understand that feeling of not wanting to bother someone, but not when they called you first. It's rude not to call back. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. I don't know that you need to return the call in the middle of listening to the message, but at least by the next day.
Old 08-27-04, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate talking on the phone.

Guys I won't usually call back right away.

Girls (depending on who it is) I'll call back sooner...

Family...well, they can wait.
Old 08-27-04, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I suck at calling back. I'm not phone friendly at all.
Old 08-27-04, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate when people don't return calls. Especially people you're dating.

Then there are people who call for no reason at all. These are the people you see jabbering away on cell phones about nothing at all.
Old 08-27-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If someone leaves me a message that just says "call me" with no indication as to what they want, I will not call then back. It doesn't matter if its work or personal.
Old 08-27-04, 08:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I call people back promptly. It's a habit I've developed in my professional life that's carried over into my personal life.
Old 08-27-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
If someone takes the time to call me I call them back. Simple as that.
Old 08-27-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always return phone calls, it's just the polite thing to do. If someone doesn't return my phone calls, i do take that as something personal(doesnt have to be right away, just within a given amount of time). What I hate is people that call and don't leave messages. I can see their name pop up on my cell that they called, but obviously it wasnt important. THose people I won't call back.
Old 08-27-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At work, I have gone for months without even checking my voice mail... people wonder if I get their messages (hint: I don't)... at home I also sometimes don't check my messages (mainly because our answering machine is crappy and annoying and I know that my wife will eventually check it), but if you leave a message on my cell phone (or send me an email), I will typically reply as soon as I get it.

edit: oh, and I HATE leaving messages... almost never do it unless I am calling someone at home who I know is screening... that way I can check to see if they are home.
Old 08-27-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I usually return phone calls but don't like it when the person isn't around and I leave a message and the person doesn't return that call back!
Old 08-27-04, 12:49 PM
Banned

Re: What are your thoughts on Calling People Back (Returning Phone Calls)?

Originally posted by Ravenous
Isn't that they way most women are?

And I agree that you should call back.
Old 08-27-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on who it is and the situation.

I very rarely leave messages. I may not be in the mood to talk when they call back.
Old 08-27-04, 01:46 PM

I'm on the phone all day at work. Most evenings I won't answer my phone at home, I let the machine get it. If its important I'll return the call fairly quick, but if its not, I'll call them later. I don't have a lot of free time at home and after a long day at work , I don't want to spend most of the evening on the phone with anyone, family or friend. My friends understand, my family thats another story!
Old 08-27-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a big fan of calling ppl back. It's common courtesy in my opinion.
Old 08-27-04, 02:22 PM

I always call people back when they call me. It is the polite thing to do. Most of my family isn't the same way, though. The most extreme case was when I had an auto accident, nearly totalling my truck a few years ago. I called my Mom to let her know that I had been in an accident but that I was ok, except for some minor bruising. It took her 4 days to call me back! Couldn't believe it.
Old 08-27-04, 02:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

...But I am not much of a phone person.
ditto

e-mail me and I'll probably reply pretty fast... I'm slower on the phone call return though unless it's important.
double ditto

If someone leaves me a message that just says "call me" with no indication as to what they want, I will not call then back. It doesn't matter if its work or personal.
triple ditto
Old 08-27-04, 06:22 PM

Re: Re: What are your thoughts on Calling People Back (Returning Phone Calls)?

Originally posted by icondude
Isn't that they way most women are?

And I agree that you should call back.
Actaully, I think your right, now that I think about it, most women do see than way. Hmmm...

Still seems like a pretty mixed bag though!

Looks like returning calls is not a big deal
Old 08-28-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pedagogue
I hate....HATE when ppl don't return my phone calls.

-pedagogue
Same here... especially when there are tenative plans (like going to dinner with a girl) and you leave a message to let you know what's up and waste a day not knowing whether to make other plans or not. AS I AM DOING RIGHT FUCKING NOW !! Friggin women !!

(or course I know I should just ditch her anyway.... but i'm horny damnit !)
Old 08-28-04, 06:47 PM

Ohhh thats murder!

So what happened?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.