Reload this Page >

selling a comic book collection?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-26-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few hundred that I'd like to get rid of, preferably all at once. I wil NOT sell them on ebay, because that is a really bad market for comics.

There is only one local shop, and they are not buying right now. I might try some shops farther away, but is there anything else I can try online, other than ebay?

I don't have anything very good (mostly Dark Horse stuff), but I should be able to get a little somethin' for them. And I have them all listed in a text file for easy reference.

I just want to be rid of them and make a few bucks.
Old 08-26-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Let me know how you fare.. I have a lot in my collection I'm willing to part with.
Old 08-26-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a good thread to check out. You'll have more luck in that forum too.
Old 08-26-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good luck. Comic books are a shitty investment.

Do what I did. Donate them to the local boys/girls club. It will do wonders for your self-image.
Old 08-26-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Building on Tsar Chasm's suggestion, donate to the military:

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.co...37%2Cprint.htm
Old 08-26-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
You could list them on the newsarama or comicon websites and hope someone bites.
Old 08-26-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if it isn't anything special, it's been my experience that you won't get much for them. probably as little at $.25 or less each. i had alot of stuff to get rid of so i just boxed it up into 4 long boxes and sold it that way. much easier than trying to sell individual issues.
Old 08-26-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man, i should have sold my comics back in the day. For the last ten years theyve just been sitting in my parents attic. I think my most valuable one was the first Neil Adams Green Lantern. I also had a bunch of Sandman, Hell-something(blazer?, art like the sandmans), early Ticks, Fausts, maybe some early McFarlane stuff. I'll have to bust out the sellable stuff and then give away other stuff i probably wont find funny anymore like Boris The Bear.
Old 08-26-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sorry, but you are a DUMBASS if you give away old comic books.
If you dont care about money, then yeh - give them away or something. If you want to make a few bucks learn how to use Turbo Lister, and put them on ebay. Even if its modern age stuff, you can make a killing on ebay if you know how to do it-
Old 08-30-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think i'm a dumb ass for not wanting to deal with listing Devil Dinosaur 1-9 when i can give it to friends who will read it when stoned. I hate going to the post office or ups so i'd have to get a pretty good amount on a lot of comics to make it worth selling them.

Also, i listed a batch of comics i dug up on the book forum's comic exchange thread incase anyone is interested.
Old 08-30-04, 12:01 PM
Banned

speaking of comics, anyone knows how much Amazing Spiderman 298 worth on the market?
Old 08-30-04, 01:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

There's a service that the UPS store does where you give them your stuff & they'll list it in Ebay for you and you get a piece of what they make.

http://www.theupsstore.com/about/062...s_release.html
Old 08-30-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
There's a service that the UPS store does where you give them your stuff & they'll list it in Ebay for you and you get a piece of what they make.

http://www.theupsstore.com/about/062...s_release.html
Interesting. I wonder what 12-13 boxes filled with about 300 comics each would fetch?

Edit:
We accept a wide variety of items, from cameras and computers to purses and musical instruments. Items must be legal to sell on eBay, be shippable by UPS, have an eBay value of over $75 and weigh less than 25 pounds.
Comic books aren't on the list : http://www.auctiondrop.com/sellit.aspx

Last edited by Chew; 08-30-04 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-30-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally posted by Myster X
speaking of comics, anyone knows how much Amazing Spiderman 298 worth on the market?
This much
Old 08-30-04, 03:32 PM
Suspended

Sorry but "raw" comics are worth jack shit, unless you have them sent in and graded by CGC www.cgccomics.com.

Do some research on Ebay and see what you have and compare them to CGC prices, if you got something really minty, send it in to have it graded you will make WAY more than selling it raw and ungraded.

That amazing spidy somebody had, if it graded in a 9.8 you would probably have a comic thats worth 100's of dollars vs a couple bucks
Old 08-30-04, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by weargle
This much
cool! mine is still in mint/near mint condition.
Old 08-30-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by animalmystic
Sorry but "raw" comics are worth jack shit, unless you have them sent in and graded by CGC www.cgccomics.com.

Do some research on Ebay and see what you have and compare them to CGC prices, if you got something really minty, send it in to have it graded you will make WAY more than selling it raw and ungraded.

That amazing spidy somebody had, if it graded in a 9.8 you would probably have a comic thats worth 100's of dollars vs a couple bucks
CGC is a waste of money, for the most part. It's an objective method of telling what condition a comic is in, but for most comics, the difference in value between one that's in mint condition and one that's only a 7.8 isn't that much. Nobody wants Sleepwalker #8 regardless of its condition.

If you itemize your taxes, consider donating the comics to a charitable organization. I think you can write off the guide value of the comics (but check with a tax professional or OldDude in case I'm wrong). If you don't itemize, you can either cherry-pick the good ones to sell them, or just sell them in bulk to a comic shop. If you sell them in bulk, don't expect to get a whole hell of a lot for them.
Old 08-30-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I collected Sleepwalker.
Old 08-30-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
So did I. I'm pretty sure I even remember that Sleepwalker #8 was the team-up with Ghost Rider.

I'm going to die alone.
Old 08-30-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: selling a comic book collection?

Originally posted by Professor Frink
I have a few hundred that I'd like to get rid of, preferably all at once. I wil NOT sell them on ebay, because that is a really bad market for comics.
eBay's not as bad as trying to sell them to local comic shops.

If you can list entire runs of a series on eBay, you can at least make something reasonable. I sold off the bulk of my collection a few months ago, and I made some pretty good money off eBay.
Old 08-30-04, 05:24 PM

Give them to relatives or children of co-workers. I ended up splitting up my collection and giving it to my cousins who have thanked me over and over. I might have been able to get $200 total, but they'll get much more enjoyment out of reading the comics.
Old 08-30-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing that scares me about CGC is not just the cost for each book, but sending them off and trusting not just them to handle your book properly, which I am sure they would, but the post office/UPS to handle it properly. I wish CGC could offer their services over a more broad area, like set up grading centers in certain major comic book stores in metro areas around the country.
Old 08-30-04, 06:07 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by calhoun07
The thing that scares me about CGC is not just the cost for each book, but sending them off and trusting not just them to handle your book properly, which I am sure they would, but the post office/UPS to handle it properly. I wish CGC could offer their services over a more broad area, like set up grading centers in certain major comic book stores in metro areas around the country.
I agree 100%!!!! It is a pain to have them graded.

As for sending them in I have never had any problems with them arriving safely.

Well a good example is that if you have a Rai, Harbinger, Magnus Robot Fighter Unity put out in the early/mid 90's, selling them raw won't get you much, but if you see some of the CGC graded copies that have sold lately you will see that some have gotten into the $1000's Thats just an example though, sometimes grading is a bust unless you get a super high grade like 9.8 or 9.9. Its hit or miss really, depends on the market.
Old 08-30-04, 06:10 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Chew
Interesting. I wonder what 12-13 boxes filled with about 300 comics each would fetch?

Edit:

Comic books aren't on the list : http://www.auctiondrop.com/sellit.aspx
Chew, you have 12-13 boxes filled with 300 in each? Wow thats a lot of books, what kind of comic titles do you have in these boxes? I would be interested in your collection but shipping would be horrendus for this stuff, you don't by chance live in the Seattle area do you LOL

Email me if you want to chat about them

[email protected]
Old 08-30-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well a good example is that if you have a Rai, Harbinger, Magnus Robot Fighter Unity put out in the early/mid 90's, selling them raw won't get you much, but if you see some of the CGC graded copies that have sold lately you will see that some have gotten into the $1000's

To think I passed on those titles to pick up the other Valiant titles like XO Manowar, Ninjak and Turok instead.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.