Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

House broken into

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

House broken into

Old 08-26-04, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
House broken into

So, last night the wife and I are watching a movie upstairs and all of the sudden I hear the deadbolt of our front door open, the door open, our alarm going off and my dog barking like crazy. My wife and I jump out of our chairs, scream "sick 'em Gatsby" and I run to send a police call over our alarm system. All of that and our alarm siren blaring was enough to scare the person off before we even saw anything. I run downstairs like the hero, close and lock the front door and then search the rest of the house.

So, fast forward to the cops showing up. They get there(like 5 cars, we felt so special), we have nothing to tell them since we didn't see anything. I told them that I heard some noises by the door before it opened, etc. Anyway, they were convinced at that point it was just the wind(!) that opened the door because there were no signs of lock-picking or any other signs of entry.

So, my question is, what kind of signs would you even see from a successful, well done picked lock? I am thinking nothing since all of your work is being done within the lock itself if you are good, which I assume this guy was because he got in pretty fast. However, he is a moron because it was obvious we were home and we have an ADT sign out front.

Needless to say, going to Home Depot today to pick up some dead bolts. Just glad the alarm went off, however when it did both my wife and I didn't know what it was since it is not like you are expecting to ever have to use it. We thought the sign was enough.
Old 08-26-04, 01:01 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Id consider other means of additional safety for your family because someone willing to break in while you are home is quite willing to try to overtake you. The alarm is probably the only thing that stopped him.

Does cutting the power circumvent your alarm?
Old 08-26-04, 01:08 PM

No...the alarm has battery backup, so that is covered...however its method of notifying the police is via the phone line...we do have cell phones though so that wouldnt be the end of it.

Yeah, I don't know...the only thing that we could think of that he was trying to do is maybe he didn't see the sign and thought that since we were watching tv he could get in real quick and snatch something from downstairs. It is possible the person didnt know we were there since the lights were off, but we assumed the glow of the tv was enough to indicate we were there and awake. But, like I said, maybe he thought he could sneak in real quick, although we don't have anything worth taking really.

Of course the cops ask us if we have any enemies, but neither my wife or I do, and if this person was an enemy out for revenge or whatever, I don't think that an alarm and a dog would have stopped him. That is the primary reason I think it was just meant to be a snatch and grab deal. This is a good to moderate suburb neighborhood after all.
Old 08-26-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pick up one of these, they are ideal for home defense.
Old 08-26-04, 01:14 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Wow thats even got a car plug adapter!!
Old 08-26-04, 01:15 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Glad you are OK.
I agree that a firearm might be helpful.
Old 08-26-04, 01:16 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Who has keys to your deadbolt? Do they still have them and was there any chance of someone else knowing what house those keys went to?
Old 08-26-04, 01:22 PM

Well...we bought the house new and never changed the keys/locks which now I am thinking that is a bad idea. However, it didn't sound like a key was being inserted into the door, only the bolt opening. Both my wife's and my key are accounted for and we havent misplaced them recently.

Yeah, my wife is kind of anti-gun and I have never even fired one outside of a paintball gun and a BB gun...and we have a small girl. We are considering something though.
Old 08-26-04, 01:26 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

You might consider getting a manual slide-type bolt that can only be opened from the inside. There is no key so it can't be picked.
Old 08-26-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does that gun need a license plate
Old 08-26-04, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by bhk
You might consider getting a manual slide-type bolt that can only be opened from the inside. There is no key so it can't be picked.
Yeah..thats what I am going to Home Depot for today....that and get new dead bolts with a new key set(just in case someone did have a key)
Old 08-26-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If your locks are a major brang, you may be able to have them re-keyed and possibly save some dough.
Old 08-26-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jon-w9
If your locks are a major brang, you may be able to have them re-keyed and possibly save some dough.
I've rekeyed my own locks several times. You can pick up kits at stores like Menards and Home Depot. It only takes a couple minutes for each lock.

If you have a locksmith come out it will cost a good amount of money. You can take them to a locksmith and save a lot if you can't do it yourself.
Old 08-26-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 08-26-04, 01:44 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

If it were me, id beef up home protection.

This happend last year with a guy in a good neighborhood in the Chicago area. A guy robbed him then CAME BACK to rob him again weeks later. Both times when the owner was home (it was a large burglar not afraid of physical confrontation). The owner stopped him the second time with a gun (wounded him, he was arrested later)

Anyone willing to break in while you're home has some seriously bad intentions. They must be thinking about possibly confronting you and are not worried about it.
Old 08-26-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Non-deadbolt locks (usually on the door knob) are very easy to break into and IMO worthless. You don't even need a lock pic. I have defeated many of these locks w/ a cut 2-liter soda bottle or oil can..... works much better than a credit card!

As soon as I moved into my new place I replaced all the locks and installed deadbolts on both exterior doors.
Old 08-26-04, 02:59 PM
Banned

If you want the deadbolts to be as pick proof as they can get, try the Schlage brand ones.

Personally I prefer the double cylinder Schlage locks on steel doors in steel frames.
Old 08-26-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dead bolts are not exactly easy to "pick"... it is much more likely that it was someone with a key

someone skilled enough to pick a deadbolt is not likely to do it when you are home and awake
Old 08-26-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So was the deadbolt locked?

I have a feeling you closed the door, didn't lock the deadbolt and the bottom latch didn't catch all the way. Then what happened next was that burst of wind and pushed the door opened. i don't believe anyone tried to break into your house. Those bottom latches always have a goowd chance of not catching.

Its always a good idea to change the locks on your house when you first purchase it. Whether it is used or new. Do you know how many people have had keys to your house? Especially if it is new.

I also never like to give my house key when I have my car valet parked... You just never know... Did you go anywhere and have your car parked?
Old 08-26-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Phil L.
I have a 12 Gauge Mossberg 500A with a mag light under my bed.
Old 08-26-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend is a locksmith so i always ask him questions about locks (i like the physics behind it). He taught me how to pick locks but its not easy, takes lots of practice. Dead bolts are no harder to pick then plain door locks; plain door locks are usually easier to slim-jim, though.
My friends house got broken in to a couple weeks back. The backdoor was kicked in when no one was home. All the people stole was a PS2 and some games. they left his new G5, guitars, digital 8 track recorder and shotgun.
Old 08-26-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DaveNinja

My friends house got broken in to a couple weeks back. The backdoor was kicked in when no one was home. All the people stole was a PS2 and some games. they left his new G5, guitars, digital 8 track recorder and shotgun.
Thanks for the reminder...i KNEW i forgot something!!

-pedagogue
Old 08-26-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't reject the police's conclusion out of hand -- the wind picks a mean lock.
Old 08-26-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: House broken into

Originally posted by ween
So, my question is, what kind of signs would you even see from a successful, well done picked lock? I am thinking nothing since all of your work is being done within the lock itself if you are good, which I assume this guy was because he got in pretty fast. However, he is a moron because it was obvious we were home and we have an ADT sign out front.

Needless to say, going to Home Depot today to pick up some dead bolts. Just glad the alarm went off, however when it did both my wife and I didn't know what it was since it is not like you are expecting to ever have to use it. We thought the sign was enough.
My father's house was broken into while he was inside asleep (and dying of cancer) and his credit cards were stolen along with some other crap. They caught the guys who did it. I knew something was up when I got over there because the lock was horizontal instead of vertical and when you pull a key out of a lock, it has to be vertical - lockpicks can be pulled out of a lock if it is horizontal. That was my sherlock assessment, but my father didn't want to listen to my theory and the cops weren't very interested either.
Old 08-26-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A pump shotgun does wonders if you dont' have a security system. The sound of a pump shotgun being cocked will scare the beejeebees out of most thieves.

Buddy of mine actually had that happen. He was upstairs just going to sleep when he heard the locks on his front door click and then open. He had no security system so the house was dead silent. Thief went into his office downstairs which is near the bottom of the stairs. My friend grabbed his 12 gauge pump and crept into the hallway upstairs that leads to the stairs. He could see a slight shadow move around due to the moonlight coming in from the office window so he stopped at the top of the stairs in the shadows. Once he saw the person come out the office he cocked his shotgun and the thief bolted out of the house (the office is right by the front door. He then called the cops and they caught the guy on foot within half an hour (he left his car a couple houses down).

Personally, I would have been scared shitless and locked myself in my room and called the cops.