New York City to Red Bank New Jersey?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-25-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to New York City in October, and we would like to take a trip into Red Bank to visit Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash. We are most likely staying at:

Manhattan Broadway Hotel
W 38th St
Manhattan, NY 10018

and J&Bs is at:
35 Broad St
Red Bank, NJ 07701

What would be the easiest/cheapest way to get there and back? I have tried looking at trains and busses, but I can't seem to figure it out. A taxi would get pretty expensive for a 50 miles trip...

We are only going to be in NYC from Friday afternoon to Sunday night, is it worth the trip? or should we just go to Midtown Comics? Thanks!
Old 08-26-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't have an answer to 90% of the questions, but def check out Midtown Comics. They're long-time friends of mine.
Old 08-26-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Red Bank has a NJ transit stop. The train station is blocks from the store.

So you want to go to Penn Station ( Under Madison Square Garden ) in manhatten and get a NJ Transit train. It should be the North Jersey Coast Line.

Once you get to Red Bank, you are going to want to cross back over the tracks. broad street is one of the main streets and should be like 2 or 3 blocks.
Old 08-26-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Definitly NOT worth the trip...It basically kills a day
Old 08-26-04, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
Definitly NOT worth the trip...It basically kills a day
So, no different than watching Kevin Smith movies, right??
Old 08-26-04, 02:25 AM

Ok, I checked the train stuff you mentioned and it looks like that would be the way to go. About $10 one way, so $20 RT, About an hour and 15 minutes one way. We'll have to discuss it. Anything else in that area worth checking out?
Old 08-26-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BJacks
I don't have an answer to 90% of the questions, but def check out Midtown Comics. They're long-time friends of mine.
Old 08-26-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by C-Mart
Ok, I checked the train stuff you mentioned and it looks like that would be the way to go. About $10 one way, so $20 RT, About an hour and 15 minutes one way. We'll have to discuss it. Anything else in that area worth checking out?
There are a lot of restaurants, bars and cafes, but that is about it. They have nice fireworks on 4th of July, and they have a nice riverfest, but obviously they are once a year events. If you had a car you could hit the beach or something like that. Red Bank is only minutes from Sandy Hook and Sea Bright.

I think that Kevin Smith's offices are right across the street and half a block down from the comic book store. At least they used to be. Come to think of it I don't remember the store being on Broad street, I remember it being on Monmouth. They may have moved to a bigger store.
Old 08-26-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Red Bank is a pretty cool town, though it can be pricey. I'm not a comic book fan, but I used to work with one and he said that the Stash was very overpriced. Yes, the store moved from the Monmouth St location to Broad St a few years ago.

Basically, you want a NJ Transit North Jersey Coast Line train to Red Bank. Be sure to check the timetables to make sure the train you take is stopping in Red Bank.

When you get off the train, walk back towards the way the train came from and make a right on Monmouth Street. Walk up Monmouth Street until it ends at Broad St. Make a left on Broad St and walk until you see Jay & Silent Bob's on the right side.

This map should show you the downtown Red Bank area. The train station is along the tracks between Monmouth and Chestnut Streets.

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed...w=1&name=&qty=

Other cool places: Jack's Music is almost across the street from the Stash. It's the record store that was in Chasing Amy. Broad, Monmouth and White Streets are the downtown areas, with some stores on Front St near the end of Broad. There's lots of shops, boutiques, cafes and bars.

If you like Mexican food, Juanito's, on Monmouth St is excellent. Broad St has several restaurants with sidewalk seating for a nice day.

The large building near the train station is the Red Bank Galleria, there's some shops and restaurants there, including Siam, a good Thai place.

If sushi is your thing, walk up Broad St to the end, make a right on Front St and then your first left on Wharf St. Go down to the bottom of the hill and make a right in the parking lot and you will see Teresa's Docksider sushi, right on the water.

Other good places to eat are Basil T's Brewpub and Italian Grill on Riverside Ave at Bodman Place; Brother's Pizza on West Front St at Morford Place, Murphy Style Grill on Broad St; the Broad St Exchange.

Here's a link:

http://escapemaker.com/nj/redbank/redbank.html

Enjoy!
Old 08-26-04, 10:42 AM

Hey, thanks for all the tips. Definately gives me "food for thought"
Old 08-26-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Red Bank can be a fun area. I second the food opinion. I dated a girl down there one summer and we ate great! I'd suggest the beach too, but there is nothing special about the beach, but if you are in NYC, it might be worth vegging for a couple hours.

-pedagogue