Comedian Al Franken says "Fuggedaboudit!'

Old 08-25-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...M_Exclude=Juno

Posted 8/25/2004 4:45 PM Updated 8/25/2004 4:47 PM

NEW YORK (AP) Al Franken wants you to get up out of your chairs, open your windows, stick your heads out and yell ... fuggedaboutdit?
Well, yes.

In the spirit of Paddy Chayefsky's classic movie monologue from "Network," the liberal comedian on Wednesday urged New Yorkers and other Americans to simultaneously scream the all-purpose local wisecrack at the moment that President Bush accepts the nomination.

"This is a form of protest that is very non-disruptive," Franken said at a press conference in the Park Avenue office of Air America radio network, where he hosts a talk show.

Franken said the Sept. 2 protest, called the "Great American Shout-Out," will not "tax our public safety system at all."

"This is our way of venting," Franken added. "It will be a catharsis."

Franken said he expected the shouts to last less than five minutes. Out of "respect for the office of the presidency," he asked that participants quiet down once Bush begins speaking so "people can hear him give a bad speech."

Franken said he expects 100 million people nationwide to participate, adding: "Anything less would be a horrific failure."

Unlike the movie version "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" this protest has been tailor-made for regional dialects, Franken said.

In his native Minnesota, people are to yell "Oh no ya don't!" in an exaggerated accent.

In California, the suggested shout is: "No way, dude!"

Air America has created a Web site, www.thegreatamericanshoutout.org, where participants can plan "shout parties" or let their solo shout be counted.

Air America began on five stations around the country on March 31 as a left-leaning political alternative to conservative talk radio. It now airs on 23 stations nationwide.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
100 million? Pretty abitious. Let's see if these 100 million can wake up in time to vote come November!
Old 08-25-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hahahahahahahaha

Oh wait.
Old 08-25-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if 100 million people even know who Al Franken is.
Old 08-25-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, this wins the award for "dumbest thing i read today" and i have read a lot of posts.
Old 08-25-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DaveNinja
wow, this wins the award for "dumbest thing i read today" and i have read a lot of posts.
The dumbest thing I red today has to be the rush of people who don't understand that Al Franken is a comedian notable for his tongue in cheek political commentary. Do you really think he expects 1 in every 3 Americans to take part in this "protest"?
Old 08-25-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by JasonF
Do you really think he expects 1 in every 3 Americans to take part in this "protest"?
Sure! For the fun of it all, why not? I mean, it would be a crack up of sorts if that many people actually did it!

(...but I still don't believe that 1 in every 3 Americans even know who he is, and THAT to me is even funnier! )

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-25-04 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-25-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Somebody needs to tell Stuart that "Daily Affirmation" has been off the air for a while now.
Old 08-25-04, 06:05 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Somehow his attitude reminds me of someone copping out of an argument by being silly.

Its like he feels defeated but wants to be silly and not serious so that he can save face.
Old 08-25-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, but look at the money he is raking in.
Old 08-25-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Comedian Al Franken? Comedian? Since when?
Old 08-25-04, 09:10 PM

What a joke(r)!

Honestly. Celebrities and politics are the biggest joke!
Old 08-25-04, 09:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by DaveNinja
A member in the movie forum actually quoted a Slant film review.

That clearly beats this.
Old 08-25-04, 09:22 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Good thing the title has the word "comedian" in it or I would not have known what he's "famous" for.
Old 08-25-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Comedian Al Franken says "Fuggedaboudit!'

Originally posted by uli2000
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...M_Exclude=Juno

In his native Minnesota, people are to yell "Oh no ya don't!" in an exaggerated accent.
Old 08-25-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bhk
Good thing the title has the word "comedian" in it or I would not have known what he's "famous" for.
Unlike Sean Hannity (what's he "famous" for?) or Rush Limbaugh who was best known for being fired from his job selling tickets for the Kansas City Royals before he became an expert on politics.

Franken was a writer back in the best days of SNL. He helped write the comedy skit with the gigantic Jimmy Carter, still one of the best skits from that time. By the way, making fun of a democratic President.

He co-wrote When A Man Loves A Woman, a very good movie, and the only dramatic piece Meg Ryan has ever done that was actually good.

Why does he need to be "famous"? Why is SNL not a solid enough place to come from before you get into partisan politics, but selling tickets for the Royals is?

And for the fella who made the sarcastic remark about his salary, I bet you only wish you made the kind of money Franken does and it's clear that he doesn't believe 100 million people are going to do this.

I would never say he's better than anyone who does radio on the right, because you are probably going to like the guy or gal who's ideas are closer to yours, but is there any right wing radio host that anyone has heard of that is even remotely funny? It wouldn't be such a bad thing if you got someone who wasn't always blasting people hour after hour and got someone who could make a joke every now and then and not spend there whole 3 hours or so acting like every word they say has to be an attack or so serious.

There's a lady on Air America who I agree with politically, but she rants like Hannity and I just can't listen to that, even from my side of the political spectrum.
Old 08-25-04, 09:59 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

So tempted to go invent some fake events on this page:
http://www.thegreatamericanshoutout....s/event/plan/1

Hmmm... would this be a good way to pick up some easy liberal chicks? I'll wear a shirt that says
"The only Bush I like is in your pants"
Old 08-25-04, 10:00 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Take it easy Francis.
Old 08-25-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by JasonF
The dumbest thing I red today has to be the rush of people who don't understand that Al Franken is a lousy comedian notable for his character assasination and weak attempts at political commentary. Do you really think he expects 3 in every 3 Americans even cares?
Fixed
Old 08-25-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does anybody on the right actually have a sense of humor?
Old 08-25-04, 10:17 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Does anybody on the right actually have a sense of humor?
No, no one does. Thanks for asking.
But no one on the right "answered" a joke with an essay in this thread.
Old 08-25-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bhk
No, no one does. Thanks for asking.
But no one on the right "answered" a joke with an essay in this thread.
Any essay, eh? You must also be one of those people who thinks Dean said Bush knew about 9/11 before it happened.

I guess you have the right to reply for every poster by saying everyone was joking too, because you joke was not only very clear but knee-slapping funny.

Oh, and it's funny how people like you (yes people like you) are screaming about the right of free speech for the Swift Boat liars, but then criticize someone because you didn't like what they had to say in a dvdtalk thread and that it might have been a few words more than you would like to have read today. Too bad.

Hope this essay gets a better review than the first one.
Old 08-25-04, 10:56 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and it's funny how people like you (yes people like you) are screaming about the right of free speech for the Swift Boat liars, but then criticize someone because you didn't like what they had to say in a dvdtalk thread and that it might have been a few words more than you would like to have read today. Too bad.

Good stuff. I didn't realize free speech meant never having to listen to criticism. I'll mark that down.
Hope this essay gets a better review than the first one.
Old 08-25-04, 10:58 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I think he meant essays = no sense of humor

edit: oops did i ruin it?

Last edited by Save Ferris; 08-25-04 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-25-04, 11:14 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I think he meant essays = no sense of humor
Not really. What I meant was that jokes shouldn't need an explanation as to why they are supposed to be funny or an explanation as to why they are technically incorrect. I made a joke about Al Franken and dolphinboy wrote a long post as to why Franken is actually funny.
Numanoid made a joke about a stereotype of conservatives, and I replied accordingly(in good humor).
Old 08-25-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bhk
and dolphinboy wrote a long post as to why Franken is actually funny.
Sounded more like a love note to me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.