Study Says Illegal Migrants Cost U.S. $10 Billion a Year

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-25-04, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://ktla.trb.com/news/nationworld...ll=ktla-news-1

Analysis by think tank also concludes that a program to legalize the undocumented would nearly triple that figure.

By Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar
Times Staff Writer

August 25, 2004, 7:57 AM PDT

WASHINGTON -- Illegal immigrants cost the federal government more than $10 billion a year, and a program to legalize the undocumented would nearly triple that figure, a study released today concludes.

The analysis by the Center for Immigration Studies, which opposes efforts to legalize an estimated 8 million to 12 million migrants, comes as Republicans are bracing for a fight over immigration at their convention next week in New York.

Some Republican conservatives are pushing for language in the party platform that strongly opposes amnesty for illegal immigrants. But business-oriented Republicans want to significantly loosen immigration restrictions.

In the middle is President Bush, who has proposed a massive guest worker program granting temporary legal status to the undocumented, of whom a majority are Mexicans.

"The fundamental problem is that the modern American economy is based on skills, and that makes it very difficult to bring unskilled workers in and not sock taxpayers with a huge cost," said political scientist Steven A. Camarota, the study's author.

"The fiscal impact of a legalization program needs to be an important consideration," he added.

Other immigration researchers challenged some of the study's assumptions about what illegal immigrants cost the government.

Based on Census data, the report compared households headed by undocumented immigrants with those headed by citizens and legal residents. Federal benefits for U.S.-born children of the undocumented were counted as a cost of illegal migration.

The study included some findings that run counter to stereotypes. For example, it concluded that illegal immigrants do not constitute a significant drain on welfare programs, receiving much less in social services than do citizens and legal residents.

However, it found that the undocumented also pay nearly 75% less per household in federal taxes, on average. Some work off the books, but the majority who pay taxes are low-wage workers with little income tax liability.

"The primary reason they create a fiscal deficit is their low education levels and resulting low incomes and tax payments, not their…heavy use of most social services," the study said. "The vast majority of illegals hold jobs. Thus, the fiscal deficit they create for the federal government is not the result of an unwillingness to work."

The study found that federal programs for the elderly clearly benefit from illegal immigration.

Social Security and Medicare reap a $7 billion annual windfall from payroll taxes paid by undocumented workers. That accounts for about 4% of the total annual surplus in the two programs. But the balance sheet may eventually shift in the other direction. Under a recent agreement, Mexican retirees will be able to claim credit for Social Security taxes paid while working in the United States.

Legalizing the undocumented would bring them out of the underground economy and increase the amount they pay into Treasury coffers. But it could well make them eligible for more government benefits.

The study estimated that paying for added benefits would swamp any increase in tax collections, increasing the net cost to the federal government to $29 billion a year.

However, a leading immigration researcher challenged the fine print behind the report's assumptions.

Jeffrey Passel, a demographer at the Urban Institute think tank, said a significant share of the costs attributed to illegal immigrants represent general expenses on domestic programs. The government would incur these costs for such things as building roads and paying bureaucrats' salaries with or without the presence of undocumented workers.

"Most of that money is not money that would be saved if you could magically make these people disappear," said Passel.
Old 08-25-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's surprisingly low to me.
Old 08-25-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk God

to me as well.
Old 08-25-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Work hard - millions of illegals depend on you."
Old 08-25-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think agriculture costs would go through the roof if not for the illegals.
Old 08-25-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But but but...I thought they saved us money!
Old 08-25-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not for nothing but Illegals are doing the jobs that most americans dont want to do and getting very underpaid.....

my 2 cents
Old 08-25-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
I think agriculture costs would go through the roof if not for the illegals.
There is a legal visa specifically for migrant farm workers, so that is less than clear. I have no idea what percent farm workers have that visa and how many are illegal.
Old 08-25-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think it is safe to say that most restaraunts in NYC depend on illegals for work. In little italy a large number if not the most restaraunts have mexicans as cooks.

if there were no illegals a lot of businesses would not exist and they would wipe out a good part of the tax base.
Old 08-25-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly my point..... no lie but we depend on them..... listen.... there are jobs out there.... maybe not the best ones but there are jobs and i have seen people being lazy and going on welfare or unemployment for no damn reason... now that pisses me off
Old 08-25-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who wants to work in a kitchen where no one speaks english? I for one do not believe that there are no Americans who would want to work as cooks or fruit pickers, they simply want to be paid a fair wage, and it's somewhat necessary to be able to communicate with your coworkers.

There's more to it all than that, of course, but those are just a few observations that come readily to mind.
Old 08-25-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. I want to work where I can speak English. Personally, I would've preferred German when I was a child, but I had to learn English. So should everyone else.
Old 08-25-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
I agree. I want to work where I can speak English. Personally, I would've preferred German when I was a child, but I had to learn English. So should everyone else.
Paging chente to thread 381960...
Old 08-25-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
you should've learned Spanish. What good is your English when you live in California?
Old 08-25-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
"Work hard - millions of legals depend on your picked fruit, garden services, dish washing ability and house keeping."
fix'ed
Old 08-25-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did Bob Dole's "Make English the official language" plan ever get through?
Old 08-25-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by al_bundy
i think it is safe to say that most restaraunts in NYC depend on illegals for work. In little italy a large number if not the most restaraunts have mexicans as cooks.

if there were no illegals a lot of businesses would not exist and they would wipe out a good part of the tax base.
When I was eating in west wood a month or so back in a mongolian joint I heard some folks talking in spanish in the back room. when one came out I asked him in spanish What part of Mongolia was he from. He started laughing.

In Los Angeles it's hard to find a place to eat that DOESN'T have mexicans working in the back.

Who wants to work in a kitchen where no one speaks english?
Someone who wants a job and wants to make money. beggers can't be choosers.
Old 08-25-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd gladly pay $.05 more for a head of lettuce than the thousands of extra dollars I pay annually to help educate, feed, and provide health care to people who came here illegally.

That by the way is the amount they determined the cost of lettuce would go up if you replace illegal immigrant workers with american workers paying them minimum wage and benefits. $.05.

(I forgot the details of the report exactly but it was something like averaging picking 200 heads an hour, paying $3.00 and hour to illegals - vs $8.00 an hour to legal = $5.00 and hour .. divided by 200 heads of lettuce.. is 2˝ cents per lettuce.. with benefits it comes out to 5 cents per lettuce). Woopie. Not to mention we'd have everyone who wanted a job to have a job available. Instead we have illegals taking jobs legal people could be doing and clogging up and closing down our hospital emergency rooms. You're going to have to go really far to convince me we are saving anything.
Old 08-25-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by General Zod
I'd gladly pay $.05 more for a head of lettuce than the thousands of extra dollars I pay annually to help educate, feed, and provide health care to people who came here illegally.

That by the way is the amount they determined the cost of lettuce would go up if you replace illegal immigrant workers with american workers paying them minimum wage and benefits. $.05.

(I forgot the details of the report exactly but it was something like averaging picking 200 heads an hour, paying $3.00 and hour to illegals - vs $8.00 an hour to legal = $5.00 and hour .. divided by 200 heads of lettuce.. is 2˝ cents per lettuce.. with benefits it comes out to 5 cents per lettuce). Woopie. Not to mention we'd have everyone who wanted a job to have a job available. Instead we have illegals taking jobs legal people could be doing and clogging up and closing down our hospital emergency rooms. You're going to have to go really far to convince me we are saving anything.
I wonder if they could hire enough people at minimum wage though. I would rather work pretty much anywhere else at minimum wage than out in a field picking lettuce. Then the lettuce would rot, and there would be fewer heads picked, driving up the price.

tasha
Old 08-25-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not to mention we'd have everyone who wanted a job to have a job available. Instead we have illegals taking jobs legal people could be doing and clogging up and closing down our hospital emergency rooms. You're going to have to go really far to convince me we are saving anything.
Thing is they don't go to your hospital. They go to the free clinic, they try to make themselves invisable because detection would lead to them being found and sent back.

I love the discription of the lazy illegal and yet people know that they do these back breaking jobs no one else would do in order to get a better life started for their young.
Old 08-25-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by jdodd
Paging chente to thread 381960...

naw, man, I'm too tired for another one of these this week. Maybe next week.
Old 08-25-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

By this study's argument, the working poor citizens in this country also cost the Federal government billions. Should we get rid of them, too? If these illegals had immigrated properly, would they no longer "cost" money? Yeah, right.

While I don't support citizen benefits for illegal immigrants, I have no problem with people coming to this country in search of a better life, even if they take crappy jobs to start. That's how my ancestors got started - it seems un-American to deny others that opportunity.
Old 08-25-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who pays for free clinics anyway?

And yes, Duran, immigrants have always come here, but they were documented and they were quarentined for a set time if they were determined to be of infectious risk, just a few examples of what is impossible in regard to illegals. Immigration is fine, it's wonderful, but illegal immigration is complete bullshit, in my humble opinion of course.
Old 08-25-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by General Zod

i can see it now. people who are sitting on welfare will willingly go pick lettuce. Nobody will do it. If americans ever did it, the unions would come in and the price will double which will screw poor people even more.
Old 08-25-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
When I was eating in west wood a month or so back in a mongolian joint I heard some folks talking in spanish in the back room. when one came out I asked him in spanish What part of Mongolia was he from. He started laughing.

In Los Angeles it's hard to find a place to eat that DOESN'T have mexicans working in the back.

Someone who wants a job and wants to make money. beggers can't be choosers.
we have a natural food store where i live where the mongolians speak fluent russian. And I mean they are mongolian and I thought they were chineese for a few years until I heard them speak. Funny thing is that they speak russian like they are from russia and not one of the outlying republics.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.