Reload this Page >

What is a typical yearly raise?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-25-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wondering what should be considered a typical raise... as in if you get less than it you should be pissed...
Old 08-25-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
In government, 2.5% - 5% a year is normal.
Old 08-25-04, 10:49 AM
Moderator Emeritus

In this economy, $0. I don't expect any sort of raise next year. I've generally gotten 5-6% raises each year, but I've always been pleasantly surprised by them.
Old 08-25-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Ive never had a typical raise..
I started out making so little.. that my first 5 raises were all 12% or higher..
but last year at raise time.. I think I only got like 5%.. (of course, it didnt bother me because just a month or so earlier, I had gotten a promotion that included almost a 33% raise )

sounds like typical is 3-6%
and I guess now that Im on par.. thats what Ill be getting from now on
Old 08-25-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It really depends on a number of factors besides performance - how well is the company doing, what is the economy like, the industry, etc.

I've gotten as low as 3% and as high as 15% (my first one since I was making so little to start). My last one was 6.5%.
Old 08-25-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

you should expect cost of living increases.
Old 08-25-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by BradJ
In the federal govenment it's higher when you factor in grades, steps, and cost of living increases.

Grades -- Many federal jobs are categorized by a range of grades. Increases in grade while maintaining the same position are common. Increases in grades work out to about $7K-$11K.

Steps -- Even when increases in grades are not given or available, increases in step are nearly automatic. Increases in steps work out to about $1.5K-$3.5K.

Cost of Living -- Cost of Living increases are given every year as well and typically range from 2.5% - 5%.

Due to increases in grades and cost of living, my annual salary has doubled since 2000, even though my job title has not changed.
Old 08-25-04, 11:06 AM

3-5% at my job is considered if you get an excellent review (the only score higher than excellent is outstanding, which is near impossible to achieve).
Old 08-25-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by BradJ
Not in my goverment position.

Although, I am getting a 3% - 4% raise in October.
Old 08-25-04, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc.
you should expect cost of living increases.
Expect cost of living based upon the government reported inflation rate (typically real inflation rate - 5).
Old 08-25-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i'm working for a small company so the raise levels aren't predetermined at all... i've been here for a year and asked about a raise. i got it today... it was significantly less than i expected... maybe i was expecting too much, but i was basing my expectations basically on where we were when i got here, where we are now, and my contribution to that. basically I think I am worth more than I am getting... not that I'm getting paid poorly cause I'm not...

i was almost offended by the raise... they did give me a week of vacation though, which is cool... but I don't really know how to figure that in there...
Old 08-25-04, 11:34 AM

I believe most places do a cost of living. Which usually tracks about 3%.
Old 08-25-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
well a raise and vacation is pretty good.
Old 08-25-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for me, after 1 year, I got a raise of a quarter, the previous 2 years nothing. . Small company means sh*t pay... most of the time anyway.
Old 08-25-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Raises are generally $10,000 a year but bonuses vary greatly from year to year in my industry (finance). Income is usually capped at a number (around $125k) and bonus will make up the majority of yearly pay.
Old 08-25-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

2.5% TO 6% is the normal range with most people getting 4.5% for their annual review

I have given raises up to 10% - 12% for impressive performance to my employees.

Mainly to employees that put in the extra effort even when they are not directly asked to. To employees who really cares about their job and their quality of work instead of just doing the minimum to collect a paycheck.

Of course this only happens in years where I have the budget to do so. Sometimes even a great employee has to take a low raise if profits are not what is expected. Shit happens.

But, I am not a typical boss, I actually live in reality.

I have received up to a 17% increase myself during an annual review, based on performance. I love replacing people that were fired for lack of performance, your first year in their old position makes you look like a god for even doing average work becasue eveyone is use to much less.
Old 08-25-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I signed on with my last company and was promised a raise at the review (4 months in). The job they were filling was capped, but they really wanted me, so they were going to make up the difference in pay by a raise at review, which was allocated in the budget.....but I never got it. I left 3ish months later for grad school.

Previously....I never stayed in a position long enough to get a raise. I would change departments and/or companies before the end of the year evaluation.

After school I'm working for myself, so a raise would just be more hours of billable work.

-pedagogue
Old 08-25-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got 1 raise in the last 4 years and that was to make up for the one pay cut.
Old 08-25-04, 09:37 PM
Cool New Member

gf got 30% raise this year, not bad,
Old 08-25-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't know
Old 08-25-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A good pat on the back.
Old 08-25-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I work for Washington State, 5% a year, but you max out really fast if you don't move to a higher position.

I don't think we've had a COLA for about 3 years or so, maybe more.
Old 08-26-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All of the "raises" I've gotten in the last 5-6 years have been in the 3-4% range. They call them raises, I call them cost of living adjustments.
Old 08-26-04, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by moorehed
i'm working for a small company so the raise levels aren't predetermined at all... i've been here for a year and asked about a raise. i got it today... it was significantly less than i expected... maybe i was expecting too much, but i was basing my expectations basically on where we were when i got here, where we are now, and my contribution to that. basically I think I am worth more than I am getting... not that I'm getting paid poorly cause I'm not...

i was almost offended by the raise... they did give me a week of vacation though, which is cool... but I don't really know how to figure that in there...
Well, based on you being relatively fresh out of school, I would imagine you have a low base such that even a good % raise won't do much. People, don't get fooled thinking your should get X percentage or Y percentage. YOU want dollars, THEY manage their financials based on %. Don't play their game.

Yes, vacation is compensation. That is a week they are paying you when you are not working. That is probably worth 2%.

Were I you, I would express my disappointment to my manager.
Old 08-26-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A starting salary where I work is so low that 7% raises are normal. After 14 years my raises are always at 4% which is the ceiling. I'm okay with that. Once a year, right on time.