Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Voter registration fraud in FL

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-25-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/...40822_117.html
Thousands Registered to Vote in 2 States-Report
Reuters

Aug. 22, 2004 NEW YORK (Reuters) - About 46,000 people are registered to vote in two states, New York and Florida, a violation of both states' laws that could affect the outcome of the November presidential election, according to an investigation by the Daily News.

Many New Yorkers spend the winter months in sunny Florida, which played a pivotal role in the 2000 election after George W. Bush narrowly won the state in a contested ballot recount. Florida could be a crucial state in the November presidential election.

The New York tabloid examined computer records to ferret out duplicate registrations in New York City and Florida.

The Daily News said it could not provide an exact count of how many people vote in both places, because millions of names are purged between elections. But the newspaper found that between 400 and 1,000 registered voters voted twice in at least one election, a federal offense punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Of the 46,000 registered in both states, 68 percent are Democrats, 12 percent are Republicans and 16 percent didn't align themselves with a party, the newspaper reported on Sunday.

The duel registrations have gone undetected because election officials do not check voter rolls across state lines, the newspaper said.

"There's no extensive investigation normally on a voter registration form," Steven Richman, general counsel for the city Board of Elections, told the paper. "We accept it at its face value."
Old 08-25-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't doubt that this happens frequently. It doesn't seem too hard to pull off.
Old 08-25-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I do think that not all of it is intentional or malicious
most people don't unregister when they move
but the ones who vote twice are a problem, too bad those records are incomplete
Old 08-25-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I read a scathing editorial on this in IBD this AM, but I didn't bother to post it as I was sick of the liberals writing everything off from IBD as conservative drivel.

It included a statement from one Democratic voter who admitted voting twice because "Bush was a crook."
Old 08-25-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Reuters misspells "dual"?
Old 08-25-04, 01:55 PM

Why Florida?

How come voters are illegally registered to vote in Florida AND New York and the headline is voter fraud in FLORIDA?? As a Florida native it bugs me that Florida gets blamed for everything. I guarantee you that any state with the level of scrutiny that Florida received in 2000 would have found the exact same types of errors in their voting. Florida had a huge magnifying glass in 2000 and all of a sudden we're some third world country that doesn't know how to conduct an election.

Besides ... half of South Florida is from New York anyway.

OK, got that off my chest!
Old 08-25-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Why Florida?

Originally posted by c-moon
and the headline is voter fraud in FLORIDA??

If it makes you feel better, the article itself shows dateline - NEW YORK.
Old 08-25-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Why Florida?

How come voters are illegally registered to vote in Florida AND New York and the headline is voter fraud in FLORIDA?? . . .
Besides ... half of South Florida is from New York anyway.
You may have answered your own question. ALthough it would pay to look at any state (like Michigan) with a lot of "snow geese" who winter in Florida.

I'm not sure how to determine which is their prime residence and where they should be registered to vote. For people who spend half year each place, it could be either. But law is clear, "there can be only one."

I hope they prosecute some people to deter the voter fraud.
Old 08-25-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm one of those 46,000.

Why?

Because I've sent 4 letters to the Miami-Dade County Board of Elections (as they told me), informing them I was registered in another state and that I no longer was to be registered in Florida.

Yet I still get letters (at my mom's house in Miami) from the Board of Elections... voter registration cards... and such.

It's not always voter fraud. It tends to be Board of Election idiocy.
Old 08-25-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by WildcatLH
I'm one of those 46,000.

Why?

Because I've sent 4 letters to the Miami-Dade County Board of Elections (as they told me), informing them I was registered in another state and that I no longer was to be registered in Florida.

Yet I still get letters (at my mom's house in Miami) from the Board of Elections... voter registration cards... and such.

It's not always voter fraud. It tends to be Board of Election idiocy.

Well now you can vote for Badnarik twice.
Old 08-25-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
Well now you can vote for Badnarik twice.

I keep telling you, I don't WANT to vote for him. I just want to help the libertarians can stay on the ballot, that's all.
Old 08-25-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

because chances are the FL registration was the 2nd one, as it is probably new yorkers who go south in winter. therefore the fraud would be in FL since it would be the illegal registration

the headline is voter fraud in FLORIDA??
Old 08-25-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Fuck florida, don't fuck it up AGAIN!
Old 08-25-04, 06:15 PM

I think we got it just right.
Old 08-25-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh Lord, please let this spark another recount of the 2000 election.

[crosses fingers]
Old 08-25-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fraud in Florida? No way. I say no way!
Old 08-25-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just remember kids. Vote early, and vote often!
Old 08-25-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why all the discrimination for Florida? Cause we're voting MORONS. How does this ballot line up? Who is that hole for? Ah the hell with it, PUNCH.

Either that, or we can't seem to muster the strength to punch all the way through ballot, creating pregnant chads. Now, I've not voted before, but I'm curious, are you allowed to check your work, make sure that you've punched through etc. before turning in your ballot? I ask because if so, then it's obvious we don't bother to check our work to see if we've merely impregnated the chad, or if it's dangling or WHAT the hell is going on.

Now we're going to touch screen voting from what I understand. Great, computer oriented voting in a state with 3 BILLION old people who are still figuring out typewriter's and how to fix the flashing 12:00 on their VCRs, let alone figured out DVD Players, satellite dishes and computers.

This election is going to hell in a handbasket weaved by the elderly of this state! SHUDDER....
Old 08-26-04, 10:23 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I'm one of those NY-ers who moved down to FL. Not sure if I'm still registered in NY, but I only plan on voting once if that helps allay any of your fears.

I am a little concerned that I have not received my new voter registration card since I moved over a month ago. The local comissioner of elections is a Republican. I'm sure they wouldn't want to hold back the voter cards of any Democrats until after the registration cutoff date in Oct, would they?