Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Kerry's Enlistment (Deferment Rejection) Spin

Old 08-24-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kerry's Enlistment (Deferment Rejection) Spin

funny the boston globe published this last year:
from: http://www.boston.com/globe/nation/p...y/061503.shtml
As graduation approached, Kerry knew that he had three choices: be drafted, seek a deferment for graduate school, or join up and position himself to become an officer. ``It was clear to me that I was going to be at risk,'' Kerry recalled. ``My draft board . . . said, `Look, the likelihood is you are probably going to be drafted.' I said, `If I'm going to be drafted, I'd like to have responsibility and be an officer.' ''

At the same time, Kerry was losing interest in academics and was ready for adventure. ``I cut classes,'' Kerry said. ``I didn't do much. I spent a lot of time learning to fly.''

Kerry also had political ambitions -- and was aware of how much military service had served John Kennedy's career. ``John would clearly say, `If I could make my dream come true, it would be running for president of the United States,' '' recalled William Stanberry, Kerry's debate team partner for three years. ``It was not a casual interest. It was a serious, stated interest. His lifetime ambition was to be in political office.''
No mention of what has really surfaced in this article..

Today we hear:
Senator John Kerry, the presumed Democratic presidential candidate who is trading on his Vietnam war record to campaign against President George W Bush, tried to defer his military service for a year, according to a newly rediscovered article in a Harvard University newspaper.

He wrote to his local recruitment board seeking permission to spend a further 12 months studying in Paris, after completing his degree course at Yale University in the mid-1960s.

He also has slammed Dean and Cheney over deferments. Dean's was MEDICAL. Cheney had the same student exemptions and a father exemption. Is Kerry upset because he didn't get his year partying in Paris??

http://www.iht.com/articles/517980.html
Old 08-24-04, 11:22 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy shit, you mean he was interested in politics from an early age? STOP THE PRESSES WE HAVE A MAJOR STORY.
Old 08-24-04, 11:24 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Made up. We know that whoever is making these charges is lying even though Kerry himself had written a letter seeking a deferment. Just another piece in the Karl Rove smear conspiracy.
Old 08-24-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bhk
Made up. We know that whoever is making these charges is lying even though Kerry himself had written a letter seeking a deferment. Just another piece in the Karl Rove smear conspiracy.
Is it..supposedly the info came from a very old Harvard newspaper article.
Old 08-24-04, 11:28 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Is it..supposedly the info came from a very old Harvard newspaper article.
relax, I'm just joking. These threads are becoming like the Michael Moore threads in that no amount of evidence can convince the true believers.
Old 08-24-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Kerry's Enlistment (Deferment Rejection) Spin

Originally posted by matchpenalty
Is Kerry upset because he didn't get his year partying in Paris??
I hope Pharoh includes this in his catalogue of insightful political commentary that we have such an overabundance of around here.
Old 08-24-04, 11:30 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Is Kerry upset because he didn't get his year partying in Paris??
He'd heard there were a lot of rich widows there.
Old 08-24-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FYI, the news is evidently not so new.. just wasn;t reported on this side of the pond (march 7 over in the uk)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...equestid=42433

2/18/1970 if I pulled the day right is the date of the article In the Harvard Crimson..

how do people feel about this after all the Dean and Cheney bashing about deferments?? To me it is just hypocritical and sour grapes.
Old 08-24-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just wondering why I should care.

I'm also wondering why this is all that's being said, rather than saying the good things about the candidates. Hmmm.... I can tell you that as an independent, undecided voter, this kind of thing is not going to make me want to vote for Bush any more. In fact, it makes me want to vote for him a little less.
Old 08-24-04, 11:46 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

this kind of thing is not going to make me want to vote for Bush any more. In fact, it makes me want to vote for him a little less.
That would make sense if you thought that the Bush campaign was controlling the Boston Globe and the Telegraph.
Old 08-24-04, 11:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by WildcatLH

I'm also wondering why this is all that's being said, rather than saying the good things about the candidates. Hmmm.... I can tell you that as an independent, undecided voter, this kind of thing is not going to make me want to vote for Bush any more. In fact, it makes me want to vote for him a little less.

Old 08-25-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WildcatLH,

Why should any voter care?
Obfuscating the truth should be critical in determining character. Being hypocritical (bashing others for doing something you tried to do for example) is important.
How you react in a difficult situation is important.
Actual deeds, not for a day, but over a career are important.

Personally, I think we could have better candidates on all sides. But, one responsbility of citizenship is to vote. Be it for a major party candidate or other, though to me 'wasting' a vote is not realistic. It doesn't send any message. Unfortunately, many times, the vote is for the lesser of two evils. I would love to see more positive campaigning. That is when I look to see the origin of the negativity and try to cut through the BS.

What are the important qualities/key issues to you?

For me honesty and integrity are important.

[now for those who want to spew - 'He Lied about WMD' forget it for me... find what you want in it, but I saw much more of a case. I also know everyone thought we had good intelligence including Clinton.. A leader has to act on the best information available and stand by the decision and see it through to it's end]

For me the following issues are most important:

National Security
Economic situation ( personal of course)

On National Security, anyone waiting for a UN blessing isn't going to cut it with me. I don't want a President to constantly react. I want him to be proactive.

I see the spin in the media about the jobs, but I follow the situation closely for work. We have seen some of the most robust expansion in the last 15 years of late. I also think we could have easily sunk into a major recession/depression if not for the policy changes after 9/11. We lost a ton of jobs instantly that day. Noone could have done anything about it. And the recession that was existent then was a result of the policies of the prior administration and the bursting of the tech bubble.

Realistically, (and I have a different/non-media based perspective) it probably takes 1-2 YEARS economic policies (changes/intiatives) to really kick in once passed.

There are a lot of funky things going on in the jobs numbers and one of the things that looks possible to me is that people are creating their own businesses and that is filling the vacuum of the nonfarm headline numbers. There have been large increases in the household survey that have diverged from the headline #s. People can always find what they want in many economic releases. However, small business creation has always been a big driver of long term growth and the prospects going forward look good.

As for oil.. the market will do what it will do. Many countries have demand for energy. We need more capacity in one way shape or form. Higher prices will drive efficiency gains too.

Now, if taxes are raised, I truly expect the economy to slow down, possibly hard. There is a multiplier effect of money being in individuals pockets (spend, company spends part on worker, that worker spends, etc). Tax drain to pay down debt that doesn't need to be extinguished early, just takes money out of the system (and the interest on that debt is no longer going to someone who may be living off of it ).

There are people who will be better off with higher interest rates... Though others wont.

In general, any voter should care about issues dear to them. But, also, not be reliant on media /political spin. Understand your key issues and try to get to the facts and make a decision on your own. Not based on the media, a party, or anything other than the facts.

Last edited by matchpenalty; 08-25-04 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-25-04, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One other thing is that I would love to see true unbiased reporting in news articles and the slanted stuff be solely op-ed pieces.

unfortunately, that is not realistic.
Old 08-25-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by bhk
relax, I'm just joking. These threads are becoming like the Michael Moore threads in that no amount of evidence can convince the true believers.
Agreed. It also holds true from the Bush side as well.

Frankly, this military stuff is quickly getting old from both sides. At this point I really don't care who did what. Kerry will continue to push Vietnam. I will just tune it out. Like I tuned out the Bush AWOL stuff. It just doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things and it's exactly like watching two small children on the playground attempting to get the other in trouble.

So here is where I am: Bush didn't destroy the country in his first term. I doubt he will be allowed to destroy it in his last. However, I am voting for Kerry because I honestly can't believe he could possibly be any worse than Bush and I think the country is ready for a change. If Kerry wins, I doubt he'll destroy the country in his term and we can all reconvene to do this again in 4 years.

I'm think I'm done with the political threads around here. It's always the same people posting articles on both sides. I've never seen anyone post something that didn't directly support their candidate, which says that people are unable to do anything but post articles that make them feel better about their choices.

It's really sad when you think about it.

Last edited by Draven; 08-25-04 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-25-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why should any voter care?
Obfuscating the truth should be critical in determining character. Being hypocritical (bashing others for doing something you tried to do for example) is important.
Thankfully, we have a President in office that would never think about obfuscating the truth.
Old 08-25-04, 11:26 AM
Banned

Obfuscating the truth should be critical in determining character.
Agreed. Now, shall we talk about WMD and the buildup to the Iraq war or are we only supposed to be critical of Kerry around here?
Old 08-25-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

I ask the question once more - is John Kerry the biggest liar since Ananias?

At the very least, the boy seems to have a problem with the truth, doesn't he?
Old 08-25-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally posted by Captain Pike
Agreed. Now, shall we talk about WMD and the buildup to the Iraq war or are we only supposed to be critical of Kerry around here?
Like the several UN resolutions concerning Iraqi WMD? Or the fact that Saddam hid paperwork about WMD? Or that the US took a no-nonsense approach to other countries violating UN resolutions and threatened action and followed it up *months* not days after the troops were first sent to the Middle East? Or that the Legislative Branch, both Democrat and Republican were united for takins such action?

We can talk about these facts if you really want to.
Old 08-25-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What does Bush have to do with the articles, or with the fact that Kerry ragged on Cheney and Dean over deferments all the while having requested deferment himself? What, did Bush hold a gun to Kerry's head and force him to request a deferment?
Old 08-25-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by weargle
Like the several UN resolutions concerning Iraqi WMD? Or the fact that Saddam hid paperwork about WMD? Or that the US took a no-nonsense approach to other countries violating UN resolutions and threatened action and followed it up *months* not days after the troops were first sent to the Middle East? Or that the Legislative Branch, both Democrat and Republican were united for takins such action?

We can talk about these facts if you really want to.
Red Herring