President Bush Launching a Pre-Convention Tour

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-24-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bush launching pre-convention tour
Tuesday, August 24, 2004 Posted: 12:42 PM EDT (1642 GMT)

CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) -- Voters in eight battleground states will be getting a rolling preview of the Republican National Convention in New York City when some of its most prominent speakers join President Bush for a pre-convention campaign swing.

Those traveling with the president include high-profile, independent-minded politicians who could expand his base of support: Rudy Giuliani, the former New York City mayor who led the city's recovery after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks; Sen. Zell Miller, a Georgia Democrat who backs Bush; Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who has opposed gay marriage in his state; and Arizona Sen. John McCain, a staunch supporter of the president's policies in Iraq.

Bush will visit New Mexico, Florida, Ohio, West Virginia, New Hampshire, Michigan, Tennessee and Iowa before arriving in New York to accept the party's nomination on September 2.

Holding the convention in New York is a way for the Republicans to try to burnish Bush's image as a wartime president and remind voters he guided the nation through the terrorist attacks there in 2001.

Bush begins his pre-convention tour with three stops in New Mexico on Thursday. Giuliani, who addresses the convention on Monday, will be with Bush for rallies in Las Cruces, Farmington and Albuquerque.

On Friday, Bush travels to Florida to rally voters in Miami in hopes of expanding the razor-thin victory he had there in 2000. The president will be joined by Miller, this year's keynote convention speaker.

On Saturday, Bush is going on yet another bus tour -- this time in Ohio with stops in Troy, Maumee-Fort Meigs and Lima. Rounding out the weekend, Bush will travel to Wheeling, West Virginia, for a rally on Sunday.

As the convention gets under way in New York on Monday, Bush will be in Detroit and in Nashua, New Hampshire, where he will be joined by Romney. On Tuesday, Bush will be in Nashville and then in Alleman, Iowa, where he will be joined by McCain, a day after McCain addresses the convention. In Nashville, Bush will address a gathering of the American Legion before going to a farm show in Iowa.

On Wednesday, Bush will rally supporters in Columbus, Ohio, before traveling to New York City. Bush will stay in New York on Wednesday night and address the convention on Thursday.

In 2000, Bush spent parts of three days at his party's convention. His father, former President George H.W. Bush, spent parts of four days at the 1988 convention; in 1992, he was there for parts of five days.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html

I like it !
Very smart strategy.
Old 08-24-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read Kerry will break the long-standing tradition and give a campaign speech during the convention next week.
Old 08-24-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chew
I read Kerry will break the long-standing tradition and give a campaign speech during the convention next week.
Wow, there's a real shocker !
Old 08-24-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They should tour with KISS. That would rock!

das
Old 08-24-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holding the convention in New York is a way for the Republicans to shamelessly use the memories of 9/11 to engender fear and continue to foster the fallacy that Iraq was somehow connected to Al Queda.
fixed.

This is going to be a nauseating couple of weeks....but at least the Daily Show should be pretty entertaining.
Old 08-24-04, 02:54 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

fallacy that Iraq was somehow connected to Al Queda.
The joke is on you then because Iraq was connected with terrorism in general and Al Quida.
Old 08-24-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

riiiiiiiiiight.....just keep saying it.....that'll make it true. Iraq, 9/11....Iraq, 9/11....Iraq, 9/11..... oooga booga!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-04, 03:06 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

riiiiiiiiiight.....just keep saying it.....that'll make it true. Iraq, 9/11....Iraq, 9/11....Iraq, 9/11..... oooga booga!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you actually read your own posts? Because somehow from one post to the next, "Al Queda" became "9/11".
Enjoy your banana.
Old 08-24-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry, isn't Al Queda responsible for 9/11? I seem to recall seeing something about that on the news, but whatever....
Old 08-24-04, 03:27 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry, isn't Al Queda responsible for 9/11? I seem to recall seeing something about that on the news, but whatever....
Al quida and 9/11 aren't the same thing. 9/11 wasn't/isn't the only thing that was planned/carried out by Al quida. But I'm sure you knew that.
Old 08-24-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know very well bhk that this administration has gone out of its way to mention 9/11 and Al queda, and Iraq in the same breath often enough to make them interchangeable symbols of "the war on terror." My original post was speaking only to the blatantly shameless ploy of hosting the convention in NYC while spouting off more rhetoric about Iraq/Terror ad infinitum under the spectre of the WTC's ashes.....it's pandering to the LCD, and I find it nauseating.

But again, whatever, i'm not going to bother with this stirring discussion any further....
Old 08-24-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope the tour shirts are three-quarter sleeve jerseys.