Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

Old 08-24-04, 12:57 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
JimRochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY. USA
Posts: 18,008
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

My dogs are discovering the joy of crapping in all the neighbors yards. I know how it works, just don't know about different brands and what to look for.
Old 08-24-04, 01:12 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: South of Titletown
Posts: 18,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, pretty sure we had a thread on this general topic just yesterday.
Old 08-24-04, 01:18 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, two guys from Rochester posting the same question one day after the other. What a coincidence? Maybe we'll have the same salesperson. Maybe our dogs are from the same litter, too!
Old 08-24-04, 02:13 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ferment
Posts: 19,548
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Invisible fencing only works for *some* dogs.

I tried it with mine. They braved the electric shock and got out anyway. My dogs are like Velociraptors because they tested the fence all the time and figured out that the shock only lasts for a second or two. They figured if that was all there was to it, getting out wasn't going to be all that difficult.

An actual fence works much better.

Or maybe just keep your dogs inside.
Old 08-24-04, 02:23 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 5,836
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mllefoo
Or maybe just keep your dogs inside.
...but...then the snakes will get him!!!

Old 08-24-04, 02:26 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 3,515
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has worked great for our dog, a weimaraner. The key is training, training, training. You can't just turn on the juice and let em loose.
Old 08-24-04, 02:36 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,978
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
Wow, two guys from Rochester posting the same question one day after the other. What a coincidence? Maybe we'll have the same salesperson. Maybe our dogs are from the same litter, too!
White people are weird.
Old 08-25-09, 11:18 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 11,569
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

So I'm getting sick of having to keep the pup tied up all the time when he's outside. Particularly since he likes to be outside all the time (and with winter coming, I'd rather be able to open the door and let him go instead of walking outside at 5am. ).

I would prefer to put up a 4 foot privacy fence, because it would both keep him in and make it so he can't see the neighbors to bark at them. But the one neighbor doesn't really like the idea of a fence (living in a new subdivision, it might stick out like a sore thumb), and there would be more hoops to jump through - not even positive I could get approval from the developer.

So invisible fencing is the other option, but I don't want to even waste my time if it's not going to work. I have a border collie, and of course he's insane and runs at top speed everywhere he goes. The neighbors on one side have 2 little girls that are always out back playing, and the neighbors on the other side have a little lap dog puppy of some sort that he's obviously quite interested in.

Do you think it would work on him if the training was done right? Or will the inquisitive mind of a border collie eventually figure out he can just leap through the thing and be free, and render the thing worthless?
Old 08-25-09, 11:20 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,272
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

Or will the inquisitive mind of a border collie eventually figure out he can just leap through the thing and be free, and render the thing worthless?
IMHO yes. I have watched these things fail time and time again. And having a border collie mix I would be afraid to tempt him, smartest dog I have ever owned. He can run so fast he would likely be through it before it even shocked him.
Old 08-25-09, 11:24 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 11,569
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
IMHO yes. I have watched these things fail time and time again. And having a border collie mix I would be afraid to tempt him, smartest dog I have ever owned. He can run so fast he would likely be through it before it even shocked him.
Thanks, that's kind of what I figured the case would be. Might not be as bad without the neighbors I have, but I just can't see him slamming on the breaks at the lot line and watching the girls or other puppy playing instead of busting right through.
Old 08-25-09, 11:25 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
So I'm getting sick of having to keep the pup tied up all the time when he's outside. Particularly since he likes to be outside all the time (and with winter coming, I'd rather be able to open the door and let him go instead of walking outside at 5am. ).

I would prefer to put up a 4 foot privacy fence, because it would both keep him in and make it so he can't see the neighbors to bark at them. But the one neighbor doesn't really like the idea of a fence (living in a new subdivision, it might stick out like a sore thumb), and there would be more hoops to jump through - not even positive I could get approval from the developer.

So invisible fencing is the other option, but I don't want to even waste my time if it's not going to work. I have a border collie, and of course he's insane and runs at top speed everywhere he goes. The neighbors on one side have 2 little girls that are always out back playing, and the neighbors on the other side have a little lap dog puppy of some sort that he's obviously quite interested in.

Do you think it would work on him if the training was done right? Or will the inquisitive mind of a border collie eventually figure out he can just leap through the thing and be free, and render the thing worthless?
Border collies are probably too smart for an invisible fence.
Old 08-25-09, 11:43 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 353
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Or will the inquisitive mind of a border collie eventually figure out he can just leap through the thing and be free, and render the thing worthless?
It's a border collie. He'll turn off the electricity at the breaker instead.
Old 08-25-09, 12:15 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 22,115
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

IMO, you definitely could train the dog to respect the fence. But depending on the dog, it could take an awful lot of work and consistency, and most people don't have that kind of drive or consistency. Especially not when the dog in question is a border collie.
Old 08-25-09, 12:23 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 3,515
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

We had to give away our weimaraner because he was getting mean, especially toward kids. We just got a yellow lab puppy. In a few weeks we'll start training him to the Invisible Fence. Hope it works as well as it did for the last dog, which was amazingly well. Never had any problems with the IF.
Old 08-25-09, 01:13 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

Originally Posted by taa455 View Post
We had to give away our weimaraner because he was getting mean, especially toward kids. We just got a yellow lab puppy. In a few weeks we'll start training him to the Invisible Fence. Hope it works as well as it did for the last dog, which was amazingly well. Never had any problems with the IF.
Yeah, except it made your dog mean!
Old 08-25-09, 01:17 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

Originally Posted by taa455 View Post
We had to give away our weimaraner because he was getting mean, especially toward kids. We just got a yellow lab puppy. In a few weeks we'll start training him to the Invisible Fence. Hope it works as well as it did for the last dog, which was amazingly well. Never had any problems with the IF.
Labs seem to respect the invisible fence.
Old 08-25-09, 01:25 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,445
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JKJnR9B89V8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JKJnR9B89V8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 08-25-09, 05:00 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
JimRochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY. USA
Posts: 18,008
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

I installed the Pet Safe brand and it's been in for 5 years now. I picked it up from a dealer on eBay for much less than the B&M stores. I think it will keep most, maybe 90 - 95% of all dogs in the yard. I know there are a few that figure out they can beat it, but usually by the time they get zapped once or twice they decide it isn't worth it.

The big downside is that it doesn't protect the dogs from other dogs or animals that can just stroll into the yard. The mistake I made was putting it around the whole yard. I wanted to just fence in the backyard, but was guilted into giving them the front too.
A) across the front means you have to cut into the driveway and have a seam.
B) the front is where all the action is so they see people and animals and bark alot.
C) if they do get out they are right at the road.
D) you never realize how big the yard is until you want to cut a path around the whole thing for the wire.
Old 08-25-09, 05:51 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,865
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JKJnR9B89V8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JKJnR9B89V8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Nice, super funny especially with the horribly NY/NJ accent!

I'm not a fan of invisible fencing for the above reasons people pointed out. Putting in a panel fence isn't all that hard. If you have basic DIY skills and a few friends you can put it in with relative ease yourself. The materials are still a bit pricey but not too bad. I'd strongly consider going with a real fence instead of one of these invisible ones.
Old 08-25-09, 06:06 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 11,569
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
I'm not a fan of invisible fencing for the above reasons people pointed out. Putting in a panel fence isn't all that hard. If you have basic DIY skills and a few friends you can put it in with relative ease yourself. The materials are still a bit pricey but not too bad. I'd strongly consider going with a real fence instead of one of these invisible ones.
That's definitely what I'd prefer, but again not sure if I'll even get approval, and not sure how un-neighborly that looks putting a fence up when you just moved in months ago? Just a 4' wood privacy fence would be ideal - I can see out and talk with the neighbors easily, but the dog couldn't see out or get out.
Old 08-25-09, 11:33 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,181
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

My aunt used the invisible fence for her and dog they both got shocked a couple of times but it has worked well for them.
Old 08-26-09, 12:01 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 21,074
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

Invisible fences might keep your dog in, but it won't keep other dogs out. Also, since people won't know that you've got one, or where it's located, or if your dog's collar is working, or if your dog has somehow developed immunity, they may assume that they are going to be attacked. On the flip side, they may assume that your dog has been secured due to the fence when in fact due to the reasons given in the last sentence he/she is actually footloose and fancy free.

Nothing secures the dog, protects him/her from intruding dogs, and provides the kind of certain protection that a physical barrier fence will.

As an aside, I serve on the county Animal Management Control board. We hear the monthly appeals from pet owners who have been cited for letting their dogs run loose, or for animal attacks, or generally any situation where an animal owner has been ticketed for violating an animal-related law and they want their side of the story heard. We see case after case after case where dogs get loose and attack other dogs that are "secured" within an invisible fence, and we see nearly as many cases where a dog has unexpectedly come free due to a battery failure or other "invisible" technical failure and has attacked/mauled passersby, bicyclists, pets, and children.

I would not have an invisible fence, nor would I recommend anyone get one. Do it if you want, but I think it's a mistake.
Old 08-26-09, 10:33 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: closer than you'd like
Posts: 1,672
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

Imagine you live on a spaceship. You can have some kind of reinforced glass (or other material) for a window, or you can have a force-field. Gives new meaning to the Blue Screen of Death.
Old 08-26-09, 12:32 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 856
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

I put in the invisible fence brand fence. Had them put it in and never had a problem with it. I've trained a 140 lb. Rott, 80 lb. Shepard and 60 lb. Lab and they haven't gone through it. Kind of funny to watch them run the fence line chasing a rabbit, like it's teasing them

Training is the number one thing to do with any system. You just throw them out there without going through the training then you'll have problems. 3 friends of mine put in their own systems, just let the dogs out to learn themselves and now no longer use the system. Maybe they put in inferior systems or maybe the dogs don't care but mine works great and I'm extremely happy with it.
Old 08-26-09, 02:08 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 3,515
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dog owners, any experience with invisible fence?

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Invisible fences might keep your dog in, but it won't keep other dogs out. Also, since people won't know that you've got one, or where it's located, or if your dog's collar is working, or if your dog has somehow developed immunity, they may assume that they are going to be attacked. On the flip side, they may assume that your dog has been secured due to the fence when in fact due to the reasons given in the last sentence he/she is actually footloose and fancy free.

Nothing secures the dog, protects him/her from intruding dogs, and provides the kind of certain protection that a physical barrier fence will.

As an aside, I serve on the county Animal Management Control board. We hear the monthly appeals from pet owners who have been cited for letting their dogs run loose, or for animal attacks, or generally any situation where an animal owner has been ticketed for violating an animal-related law and they want their side of the story heard. We see case after case after case where dogs get loose and attack other dogs that are "secured" within an invisible fence, and we see nearly as many cases where a dog has unexpectedly come free due to a battery failure or other "invisible" technical failure and has attacked/mauled passersby, bicyclists, pets, and children.

I would not have an invisible fence, nor would I recommend anyone get one. Do it if you want, but I think it's a mistake.
Okay, I feel I must come to the defense here. Most of the issues (if not all) you bring up sounds like the fault of the dog owners (negligence, lack of proper training, lack of supervision, the fence/collar is in disrepair, inoperable, or inadequate for the dog) and shouldn't be blamed on the invisible fence. Personally I have friends who have used the kind of systems you buy in a pet store (PetSafe) and they have not had success with them. I have only used the Invisible Fence brand and followed the recommended training. I have never had a problem with the dog getting out or developing "immunity". If it works as designed, the dog should only get shocked a few times during the initial training and then very occasionally after that. There were times when we would forget to test the collar battery for a few months to discover it was dead and could have been for a while, but the dog hadn't "tested" it. As far as he knew, he would have been shocked. So battery failure does not mean the dog will get free. Antoher thing is we never left the dog in the yard while we were not at home. So he was always at least somewhat supervised. I will agree with you that dog owners who leave the dog in the yard all day without supervision (i.e. while they are at work or whatever) probably shouldn't have the IF. Also if you live in a crowded neighborhood with a lot of kids who could wander into your yard, you probably should have a physical barrier fence. But in my personal experience the IF has performed perfectly. Blanket statements are usually not a good idea.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.