Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How early is too early to start looking for a new apartment?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-23-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well looks like not even halfway into my year lease, I'm already getting the itch to move. My place is decent and the rent is cheap but it's small and I find that I spend more time in an area a few miles away which so living that way would be more convenient. My lease ends at the end of February but I'm thinking I'll actually move at the end of January or so. I already have one place in mind that I think could be really nice (my brother lives in a two bedroom unit in the complex and I really like his place. I'd be looking into one of their one bedroom models elsewhere in the complex). Anyhow, my question how early is too early for the management to know about availability around the time when I'd move? I seem to recall my brother said they do their renewals around the first of the year but I'm wondering if it would be pointless to contact them know to see what they expect to be available in a few months time. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 08-23-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I sold my Condo we had this problem. 30-45 days out seemed about the right time for most places we talked to.
Old 08-23-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd say at least 30 days is good. That way they can give you an idea of who is moving out at the end of the month for your pick of more apartments.
Old 08-23-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It really depends on how popular the prospects are to other people. I was looking at lofts in the city last year, and they needed 3-4 months out. Nothing was definate, but to get one of the prime ones, you had to get on the list early.

Most places I'd give a month or two.

-pedagogue
Old 08-23-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

have you looked into whether or not there is a way out of your current lease? like finding a replacement tenant?
Old 08-23-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In my experiance, it depends. One place wanted to know 4 months ahead of time, another wouldn't talk to you till under 30 days to go.