Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Going away for college in a week... Nervous? No. Terified? Yes

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Going away for college in a week... Nervous? No. Terified? Yes

Old 08-24-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to make you my bitch.

Correction: You are already my bitch. Now you are just going to my short distance bitch.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 08-24-04 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-24-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
concentrate on your studies. if you see that your grades are suffering, quit your job.
Old 08-24-04, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Going away for college in a week... Nervous? No. Terrified? Yes

Originally posted by CKMorpheus
I'm less scared about my classes than I am about things not working out. What if some paper got misfiled and all my classes get mixed up? Or what if my roommate is a total asshole? Stuff like that. Anyone have any tips for the soon-to-be independant?
You worked for BB and live in Staten Island, you should be able to fend off screw ups and assholes quite easily
Old 08-24-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I would suggest that we do a meet to welcome you so you can meet D.Pham, but then again I live no more then 30 minutes from that rooser and have yet to meet him -_-
Old 08-24-04, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Take me with you...please.

Now that I just finished college and am a real nine to fiver i would give anything to go back.
Old 08-24-04, 05:53 AM

Good Luck with college and all the courses you'll be taking! Don't worry about your jitters -- they'll soon fade fast! Like others said, make sure you study hard but don't forget to have fun and to enjoy yourself!
Old 08-24-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Here are two things you need to know about entering your college experience. This is stuff they don't tell you in any kind of orientation, or whatever, so pay attention.

1) You're going to hate it. Your first semester, and maybe even your first year, is going to suck. I don't know why, but this is a very common experience. It can be related to "homesickness," but people feel it they still live at home and commute to college. It's an overall feeling of impending doom, lonlieness, helplessness, and hopelessness. Probably nine out of ten people I know go through this. The important thing is to hold the line -- by your second year, this will go away. Again, I don't know why, but just trust me on this.

2) Take courses that interest you your first year, and avoid ones that don't or might give you trouble. As I pointed out above, your first year will be hard enough, so you don't need more stress piled on. If you're not good with math, then don't let them pressure you into taking a math course until your second year. If you hate history, don't take your history courses your first year. But if you do enjoy either math or history, by all means, jump in. Just stay in your comfort zone that first year.

2a) About math courses, be advised that college math classes tend to be more advanced than comparable high school math classes. Since I had a full four years of math in high school (Algebra I and II, Geometry, and Trig/Calculus) I took Calculus my first year, and it was a bitch. I made it out with a B, but I really wished I would've taken College Algebra to start out with.

2b) Try to spread out courses you think you might have trouble with. So, say you think your math and foreign language classes will be hard, try to take them in different semesters and take something easier instead.
Old 08-24-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Josh-da-man sums up things nicely. All of that happened to me, right down to the Calculus. I only took pre-Calc in high school and College Calc my first semester was the killer class. First math class I ever had problems with.
Old 08-24-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
1) You're going to hate it. Your first semester, and maybe even your first year, is going to suck. I don't know why, but this is a very common experience. It can be related to "homesickness," but people feel it they still live at home and commute to college. It's an overall feeling of impending doom, lonlieness, helplessness, and hopelessness. Probably nine out of ten people I know go through this. The important thing is to hold the line -- by your second year, this will go away. Again, I don't know why, but just trust me on this.
This is great advice. I am a junior and expereinced a great deal of anguish the first year for some reason. I guess the drastic change.

Also, I don't know if you are living in the dorms, but if you are:

1) Don't expect your randomly assigned roommate to be anything like you or want to be your friend. In fact, assuming that the two of you will be exact opposites is probably safer.
2) Never listen to an RA unless they have caught you red handed with drugs or alcohol. 90% they can't do anything anyhow.
3) Don't expect sex. You won't get any the first year.
4) The best way to meet new people is to tell as many emabarassing personal stories to as many people as possible.
Old 08-24-04, 09:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Generally, the first week is the hardest when the upperclassmen come and pound the freshmen up the butt in the shower. But eventually you'll get used to it, so just grind your teeth and remember: next year YOU'LL the one be doing the pounding.
Old 08-24-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Groucho: promise us there won't be any more Otter-free days for you, ok?
Old 08-24-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Best 4 years ever, and I had a nutjob as a freshman roommate.
Old 08-24-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RoyalTea
don't be scared.

most people who went to college would give anything to go back.

stay as long as you can.
word. college went by way too quickly and it's 1000 times easier than the real world.

Don't worry, you'll have the time of your life out there.
Old 08-24-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here are two things you need to know about entering your college experience. This is stuff they don't tell you in any kind of orientation, or whatever, so pay attention.

I am going to have to politely disagree completely with this statement. I absolutely loved my first year of college, was my favorite year hands down. You will meet so many new and interesting people, including many beautiful females, and you will finally have freedom. The dorms were the best of times for me, always people around to distract you from studying, and always parties to go to on the weekends. None of my friends experienced this "impending doom, lonlieness, helplessness, and hopelessness" either we were too busy having fun. But I guess I am not one to get homesick.

2a) About math courses, be advised that college math classes tend to be more advanced than comparable high school math classes. Since I had a full four years of math in high school (Algebra I and II, Geometry, and Trig/Calculus) I took Calculus my first year, and it was a bitch. I made it out with a B, but I really wished I would've taken College Algebra to start out with.
I think the OP said film school so he won't be taking calc (I realize its just an example), but I would also disagree here. If you have already reached a math level, say calculus, you don't want to set yourself back further by going back to algebra. College classes in general are tougher than their equivalent high school courses, but study right and you should be fine.

Originally posted by Brain Stew
3) Don't expect sex. You won't get any the first year.
Well don't expect it, but realize there is a good chance you will get laid.
Old 08-24-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by msdmoney
Well don't expect it, but realize there is a good chance you will get laid.
YMMV

None of my friends or I got any first year.
Old 08-24-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by msdmoney
I am going to have to politely disagree completely with this statement. I absolutely loved my first year of college, was my favorite year hands down. You will meet so many new and interesting people, including many beautiful females, and you will finally have freedom. The dorms were the best of times for me, always people around to distract you from studying, and always parties to go to on the weekends. None of my friends experienced this "impending doom, lonlieness, helplessness, and hopelessness" either we were too busy having fun. But I guess I am not one to get homesick.
I aboslutely agree with you on this one. Freshman year (first semester actually cuz I was pledging my fraternity second semester and that sucked) was the most fun I ever had. The freedom was incredible. Meeting new girls, new friends, and just doin' plain retarded things. You'll have the time of your life. Just be sure to go to as many orientation things as you can cuz I met most of my best friends from college during orientation week and during the first few weeks of classes.
Old 08-24-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would agree with this. Things completely turned around once my sophomore year started. I switched dorms, got a new roommate, and made a lot of new friends.
Old 08-24-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Once October rolled around, freshman year was a lot of fun. At no other point in your life will you make as many friends as you do your freshman year of college.
Old 08-24-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think I'm more scared that you are going to bug the ever loving crap out of me. damn youngin.
Old 08-24-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Once October rolled around, freshman year was a lot of fun. At no other point in your life will you make as many friends as you do your freshman year of college.
Very true.
Old 08-24-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
Be sure to get wasted!
And make sure it isn't JD Hurricane Punch that your drinking
Old 08-24-04, 04:47 PM

Can't help you too much on the college advice (I stayed local when I did it).

However, if you need any info on the Ventura or Oxnard area, I can help. I work 3-4 miles from your campus and live 5 minutes from your new job.

Welcome to the neighborhood.
Old 08-24-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by muggins
I know how you feel. On Wednesday I fly out to a technical institute to pursue a Master's degree. I'm scared about things working out too, as the degree is in an area that isn't very closely related to my undergraduate work. What if I get there and find that I am completely in over my head? Eek.

Not to mention the fact that I've never been to Sweden. What if I don't like it there? That and the pesky language barrier.
Lucky for you the Muppets are on DVD