Reload this Page >

official otter fitness thread pt II 8/23-8/30

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-23-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thought a continuation would be good. hopefully this week will be more productive than last for me... after a lazy weekend of doing nothing but staring at the back of my eyelids, today will be a rude awakening--going to 2 martial arts classes. i have a friend trying out the class for 3 weeks which means double duty for me (beginner and my belt level) 2 times a week for 3 weeks. about time i have someone get my butt in gear! a drug rep brought in doughnuts and kolaches today. so, in addition to my regular breakfast, i had a few of those

hope you guys are doing a better job than i am!
Old 08-23-04, 05:27 PM

welcome aboard to the new folks--RF and mllefoo and good luck with your goals!

to the soda drinkers--is there a way you could slowly switch to diet? is it the carbonation that tastes good or is it just convenience to drink? if so, there are some diet noncarbonated drinks out there that are pretty tasty. i, too HATE water (hey, it is for showering or swimming, imho) so all i drink is cokes, kool aid or ice tea but all calorie free, which helps. but hey, i grew up on saccharin and actually like the way it tastes *shrugs*
Old 08-23-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

sodas are definitly the worse enemy for anyone wanting to lose weight

diet sodas are one of the worst enemies for anyone wanting to lose weight in their stomach area
Old 08-23-04, 05:35 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by krkuhl
i, too HATE water (hey, it is for showering or swimming, imho)

Why would you not think its for drinking?

For what its worth, since I stopped drinking soda all together and basically drink water 95% of the time I've managed to lose over 15lbs without even working out.
Old 08-23-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was wondering when a new thread would pop up.

Welcome to our new members! Get in line for the welcome spanks that the current posters give.

Hit the gym this morning and managed to jog the entire 3 miles without stopping!! Yay. That was my first goal before going up in distance or speed. What do you all think... should I try to next up the speed or distance? Is one "better" than the other? I'm thinking distance first so that my body can handle the stress of endurance. I could be wrong.

I also did 20 minutes on the rowing machine but will probably up it to 30 the next time. Tomorrow I'll start back on free weights because that darn rowing action gives me shoulder strain occasionally.

Food is still good but I feel like I ate too much today even though it's about the same amount as the past week. It's probably female stuff.

As for the soda thing again... I have always been a diet soda drinker but have been trying to wean myself off of that lately. I'll drink a soda every other day. Also, GA is one of those states that serves a lot of iced tea. Now I don't drink the sweet stuff because it tastes like crap but I used to add plenty of fake sweetner into my glass. Since last November I have pretty much cut out all fake sweetner in my iced tea and it really hasn't been too bad. It tastes really different but it's so much healthier and black tea can be good for the body based on various studies. Hang in there, guys, and you'll kick the habit if you stick with it. I know how hard it is but you'll feel better in the long run.
Old 08-23-04, 06:03 PM

i drink water only when i am playing sports but when i am thirsty or eating or just feel like sipping on something, it HAS to have flavor, period. at restaurants, i put sweet in low in my water (no lemon, blech) because i like the way saccharin tastes. they say that the phenylalanine in diet drinks make you crave carbs. not sure if this is true or just a wives' tale. when i gave up all liquids except water for drinking, i didnt crave carbs at all and didnt gain/lose weight at all.
Old 08-23-04, 06:03 PM

Hey, krkuhl... cranky went looking for your before pics when I told him you posed in a bikini but he couldn't find them. He's such a perv.
Old 08-23-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Following this afternoon's No. 2, I'm four pounds from my target weight. I'm planning on losing them by Labor Day.
Old 08-23-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by kenny79
Following this afternoon's No. 2, I'm four pounds from my target weight. I'm planning on losing them by Labor Day.
thanks for the explaination for the weight loss

maybe you should market that diet plan!!
Old 08-23-04, 07:32 PM

travelling now, so my diet and workout routine already went to crap. I wish 24 Hr Fitness was in more states.
Old 08-23-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by bigsoos
travelling now, so my diet and workout routine already went to crap. I wish 24 Hr Fitness was in more states.
the hotels you stay at dont have fitness rooms?
Old 08-23-04, 07:36 PM

sometimes no, other times the fitness rooms just have a bike or a treadmill. I guess I could do cardio or something. Must let dinner "set" first
Old 08-23-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
thanks for the explaination for the weight loss

maybe you should market that diet plan!!
Sh*t Yourself Thin, coming soon to a bookstore near you!
Old 08-23-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so, do i have to eat shit? or just shit alot?
Old 08-23-04, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by kenny79
planning on holding a firecracker in a closed fist again this labor day?

twikky--why do you feel that diet sodas cause people to gain/not lose weight in their stomach?

i feel grrrrrreat as in tony the tiger great. the 2 classes i went to were tough but in a good way! i sweated like some farm animal in line for slaughter but ya know how sometimes it feels good to have a good sweat... gonna try to do weights tomorrow, really light, if i am not overly sore. typical 250 crunches tonight before bed. YAY me! this is the most productive i have felt in awhile!

goofee-- to your jogging goal! i couldnt even run around the block without stopping! i always like to master one thing before going up to another. if i were running longer and longer distances, i would make sure i could run the 3 miles comfortably without stopping before i added any more distance. but hey, that is just what i like to do--no clue if one is better than the other. maybe just increase it a little after each run, like less than 1/4 mile increments? is this on a treadmill or street? if it is a street (it is too damn complicated to do this on a treadmill, i would fall and provide good comic relief for the gym if i tried), one can try alternating speeds of the run--slow comfortable jog, striding out, sprinting, or a jog right past the stage of comfortable. i used to slow jog, then a little faster, then slow, then stride, then jog, etc and always ended with a 110 yd sprint--kept things interesting. now i only run if the phone is ringing
Old 08-24-04, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by crankyman
so, do i have to eat shit? or just shit alot?
I'm fine with either option. As long as it's the first one.
Old 08-24-04, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cheated yesterday (Sunday), but I allowed myself to do so, it wasn't a junky fit. I was at the mall seeing a movie, doing shopping etc., and the Popeye's there and I just crave their biscuits. So I had some chicken and biscuits, but had sprite instead of the usual coke. Not sure if that's any better, but whatever.

So far, following that, no withdrawl sensations...so that's good, and I ate like a good boy today. I also did my morning exercises, and walked for 45 minutes earlier tonight.

Oh yeah when I went into Publix to get some food, I weighed myself and I'm at 251 lb. so that'll be my official starting point....as I said in the previous thread, I hit 255 lb. but that last weigh in was like a month ago. As soon as I find my battery recharger, I'm going to take before pics, but not sure when I'll post them. I'm not very pleased with my body...however I feel a bit more secure in posting them since I saw someone else do it (can't remember who) right in the thread, and they BRILLIANTLY did not include their head/face in the shot. I'd hate to have fat pics of me floating on the net with everyone poking fun. At least with no head, there's some anonymity (sp?). Although, I do have quite a few tattoos...I could get ID'd....I dunno. I know I'll post them once I have after photos to put next to 'em!

So 251 is the official starting point. I must say, I certainly FEEL thinner (and state of mind is important!), as it seems that a t-shirt or two doesn't seem quite as snug as they have in the past. Maybe they just got stretched out.

Anyways, that's it for now.

Good luck everyone, keep at it!!!
Old 08-24-04, 05:45 AM

Thanx Guys...

Thanks bigsoos, krkuhl, goofee girl and Dabaomb for your helpful info and advice.

Goofee Girl, in answer to your question, I do take one day off each week where I don't do any exercise. I tried running on my rest day this week since I feel like working out on the elliptical machine for an hour doesn't give me the same kind of workout as running does. Plus, I wanted to see how my hip would hold up. My goddamn hip still hasn't healed!!! At least the pain didn't linger until the next day! *sigh*

Dabaomb, one of the personal trainers at my gym told me this too so I'm going to do it every other day or every third day as you suggested. And, in response to your suggestion that I take it easy: I sat on my ass literally for about 6 weeks when I first injured my hip (i.e., no weights and no running) because even walking caused pain. After 6 weeks I tried running and was back to hobbling around (this was 3 weeks ago). I couldn't stand the thought of sitting on my ass again so I've been doing the elliptical machine and weights which don't seem to aggravate my injury. I thought perhaps it had healed but when I tried running, my hip hurt afterwards. At least it didn't really hurt during the run...

*RANT RANT RANT* MY GODDAMN HIP IS TAKING SO LONG TO HEAL!!!!! AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH *RANT RANT RANT*
Old 08-24-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by krkuhl

twikky--why do you feel that diet sodas cause people to gain/not lose weight in their stomach?
a couple of the trainers at my wife's gym told her that.. they said they had read several articles on it.. something about carbonation getting trapped in the stomach area and making it more difficult to lose the gut.

<-take it with a grain of salt.. i havent actually read anything saying that specifically myself.. although I have read articles that say diet soda inhibits weight loss->

Last edited by twikoff; 08-24-04 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-24-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff
a couple of the trainers at my wife's gym told her that.. they said they had read several articles on it.. something about carbonation getting trapped in the stomach area and making it more difficult to lose the gut.

<-take it with a grain of salt.. i havent actually read anything saying that specifically myself.. although I have read articles that say diet soda inhibits weight loss->
How depressing. Diet Sodas are the only thing I have to look forward to on a daily basis while dieting.
Old 08-24-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Chew
How depressing. Diet Sodas are the only thing I have to look forward to on a daily basis while dieting.
i try to limit myself to 1 per day

although.. Im a STRONG believer that drinking a TON of water is one of the most important factors of being healthy and losing weight.
Old 08-24-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, I drink about 1 diet soda a day. sometimes maybe 2... But I also drink a lot of water, esp. while sitting at my desk surfing dvdtalk...errr, i mean working. My only big problem area is my gut, so maybe I'll try to cut out sodas for lunch...not sure what I can replace it with easily though. I bring my own lunch so save cash, so maybe next week I'll look at grocery store for something. Think snapple's would be better than diet sodas???

Side note: made it to the gym last night, despite all the college kids. going again tonight. hopefully it's not raining so I can run a mile or 2 outside.
Old 08-24-04, 08:52 AM

Ok. So this morning I experimented and went to the gym on an empty stomach... bad idea. I jogged 1.2 miles and totally crapped out. I couldn't go any further. So I hopped onto the elliptical which I've been doing for years... nada. I couldn't go for more than 5 minutes. Bah. I gave up and came home. Looks like eating half a breakfast before my workouts is the way to go. What a complete waste of a morning, though.

Geez.... krkuhl... 250 crunches?? You're a wild woman. That's like crazy good!

sexymama... I know what you mean by not getting as good of a workout on the elliptical as on the treadmill. I feel way better about the 3 mile jogs than an hour on the elliptical. It's something about using the muscles differently and putting more stress on the muscles so that they're forced to rebuild that makes it a more demanding workout. Give your hip some time to heal. It'll happen but that's a joint you don't wanna mess with.

My classes start this week so I may be losing touch slowly as they become more time-intensive but I'll keep up the workouts and try to post here. You people give good advice and info.
Old 08-24-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by kneijst1
Think snapple's would be better than diet sodas???
i would expect snapple to be high in sugar and preservatives..
but not sure on that..

although, I believe I have seen diet snapple
Old 08-24-04, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by goofee girl
Hit the gym this morning and managed to jog the entire 3 miles without stopping!! Yay. That was my first goal before going up in distance or speed. What do you all think... should I try to next up the speed or distance? Is one "better" than the other? I'm thinking distance first so that my body can handle the stress of endurance. I could be wrong.
If you're comfortably running the distance you're at, then you're ready to take it up a notch in terms of distance. The "rule of thumb" is to increase your mileage by about 5% each week. The nice thing is that with the distance, your speed at the lower distances will improve as well.

As for me, I'm also trying to reduce my soda intake, but it's hard because I love soda so much...I even just bought a home soda machine that was posted about in Hot Deals. Luckily, I made the switch to diet some time ago.

Here's a couple articles I found on soda and carbonation. A lot of debate going on on this topic:

http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cd...stionId=142940
http://heartburn.about.com/cs/compli...ms=soda+cancer

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.