Reload this Page >

Anybody train their dog on invisible fence? I'm having problems

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-23-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just started training my 3 1/2 month old pup on invisible fence. He is definitely aware of it, which is good and bad. Good because hopefully he'll take to it nicely. But bad, because he doesn't even want to go outside of the house anymore. I basically have to drag him out to even go to the bathroom.

I've tried to put the collar on inside and let him hang out a while, so it doesn't seem to him like the collar and training are related. I've heard that "Yard Shyness" is a possiblilty, but I'm hoping to figure out a way to overcome it.

Any exerience with this?
Old 08-23-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have invisible fence experience, but the bark collar experience might translate: when I first tried the collar, she would hide in the bedroom, then it was hiding behind the chair. Now, she barely pays attention to it (until she barks). I guess just keep going and it'll eventually work the way it should.
Old 08-23-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

invisible fence was great for awhile. Then a cat ended up in the backyard and my dog (a beagle) just had to chase it. He bored his way under the fence, it didn't matter that he was being shocked (the shocking only lasts for 15 seconds before it shuts off, some sorta safety feature).

That's all it took, it no longer works on him, it is if he has an immunity to it. If he wants out he will dig through the pain.

Now, he is chained up inside a kennel (likes to climb the chain link fence of the kennel, so had to add the chain).
Old 08-23-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You could always try kvrdave's "invisible fence", he guarantees the dog will not venture outside of it's parameter.

Old 08-23-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by hail2dking

That's all it took, it no longer works on him, it is if he has an immunity to it. If he wants out he will dig through the pain.

Sweet Jesus!

Now that's a determined dog!
Old 08-23-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you set up the invisible fence like this?:

or more like this?:

By the way, I don't know if I like your choice of having a yellow door on a blue house.
Old 08-23-04, 05:17 PM

My friend said his dog learned to just back up a bit and charge through the barrier, enduring the brief shock. They discovered it when they kept hearing occasional yelps.
It cracks me up thinking of the dog charging the fence, making a giant leap and yelping midair everytime.
Old 08-23-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

I've used the invisible fence, the bark collar, the genital cuff, you name it. Cusm has the only thing that really works.
Old 08-23-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by kvrdave
I've used the invisible fence, the bark collar, the genital cuff, you name it. Cusm has the only thing that really works.
Thanks. You just saved me the trouble of starting a "Has kvrdave tried the genital cuff?" thread.