Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

White People are Weird

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

White People are Weird

Old 08-23-04, 01:48 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dark City
Posts: 4,218
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White People are Weird

Inspired by the "You just said that 'cause I'm BLACK right?" thread.

I find white people to be very weird. They are always trying to make me speak and act like they do. I was playing music at a reasonable level in my truck the other day and some white guy told me to turn that beaner music down. He was rocking out to Modest Mouse which I could clearly hear over my music.

The other day, some woman mistook me for the Janitor at my office building. I wasn't wearing a suit or anything but I was dressed neatly in well fitted jeans and a button down shirt tucked into my pants. It was strange but I actually used to be a janitor during my college years. It was one of the ways I put myself through college. Maybe I still have he vibe or something.

Another thing, I was talking to the receptionist in my office last week. She is white. She told me that her 14 year son had never met his grandparents. I asked if she was estranged from them, if they had a falling out or something. She said no. The problem was that they live on the East Coast and that is too far to travel. Weird I tell you.
Old 08-23-04, 01:49 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ferment
Posts: 19,548
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh. I thought it was *real* weirdness.

This thread: 1/5. Sorry.
Old 08-23-04, 01:54 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Minor Threat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 13,739
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-23-04, 01:57 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 8,810
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: White People are Weird

Originally posted by chente
Inspired by the "You just said that 'cause I'm BLACK right?" thread.

I find white people to be very weird. They are always trying to make me speak and act like they do. I was playing music at a reasonable level in my truck the other day and some white guy told me to turn that beaner music down. He was rocking out to Modest Mouse which I could clearly hear over my music.
I don't like this, regardless of the type of music. It's one thing to crank it on the interstate when you're going 75, but when you pull up to a stoplight with other cars, or driving through a neighbourhood at 25 mph, turn your radio down, be it rap, country, or Perry Como.

Originally posted by chente
The other day, some woman mistook me for the Janitor at my office building. I wasn't wearing a suit or anything but I was dressed neatly in well fitted jeans and a button down shirt tucked into my pants. It was strange but I actually used to be a janitor during my college years. It was one of the ways I put myself through college. Maybe I still have he vibe or something.
I went to Circuit City a couple weeks ago, and someone came by and asked if I could open the counter and show them sometime. I said, No, and he kinda stared at me, till I told him I didn't work there [I was wearing a red shirt and had my office nametag around my neck.]


Originally posted by chente Another thing, I was talking to the receptionist in my office last week. She is white. She told me that her 14 year son had never met his grandparents. I asked if she was estranged from them, if they had a falling out or something. She said no. The problem was that they live on the East Coast and that is too far to travel. Weird I tell you. [/B]
This is bizarre. That might be a ways to travel, but come on, you can't go there or meet up somewhere *once* in fourteen years? That's not bizarre, that's sad. We took my boy, sometime before he was 18 months, from NC to GA to AL back to GA then back to NC to see pretty much everyone in his extended family in the Southeast that he hadn't seen before. It was a heck of a trip, but that kind of thing is important to make an effort at least once.

That said, I don't know if any of your 'weirdnesses' have anything to do inherently with 'white people'.
Old 08-23-04, 01:57 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: is everything
Posts: 17,990
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-23-04, 01:59 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ferment
Posts: 19,548
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work at a veterinarian's office inside a PetSmart. We're required to wear blue scrubs that have BANFIELD PET HOSPITAL embroidered on them. The PetSmart employees all wear green shirts and black pants.

I was walking through the store on my way to the restroom and got stopped by several people asking where various items were. I kept saying, "sorry, I don't work for PetSmart."
Old 08-23-04, 02:02 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 8,617
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also....white people are the only race (for people who aren't musicians) who uses Mac computers. Very weird.
Old 08-23-04, 02:03 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-23-04, 02:03 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mllefoo
I was walking through the store on my way to the restroom and got stopped by several people asking where various items were. I kept saying, "sorry, I don't work for PetSmart."
You must be one of those weirdo white people.
Old 08-23-04, 02:04 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ferment
Posts: 19,548
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's a Mac?

Oh wait, that's one of those Apple things, right? Can't stand them.
Old 08-23-04, 02:04 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ferment
Posts: 19,548
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Thor Simpson
You must be one of those weirdo white people.
Only weirdo white people use that emoticon. sheesh.
Old 08-23-04, 02:04 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Also....white people are the only race (for people who aren't musicians) who uses Mac computers. Very weird.
Funny... all but one of the Mac users I know are asian-american. (graphic designers)
Old 08-23-04, 02:05 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ferment
Posts: 19,548
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't you know that Asians are considered weird white people?
Old 08-23-04, 02:06 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 8,572
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Thor Simpson
Funny... all but one of the Mac users I know are asian-american. (graphic designers)
The only two mac users in my dorm were black guys.
Old 08-23-04, 02:07 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mllefoo
Only weirdo white people use that emoticon. sheesh.
That's because this site doesn't give us black rolleyes smileys or native american. Because it's run by a weird white guy.

Unless you consider the to be native american, the to be asian, the to be sunburned whitey and to be the people from the blue lagoon. Either way it's pretty racist. Or maybe just proof of being weird whitey.
Old 08-23-04, 02:09 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, come to think of it... white people are weird.
Old 08-23-04, 02:10 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ferment
Posts: 19,548
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No. It's just you.
Old 08-23-04, 02:10 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Thor Simpson
You know, come to think of it... white people are weird.
Damn right Honkey. And is more of a green guy.
Old 08-23-04, 02:11 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ferment
Posts: 19,548
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No. is green. Fucking colorblind weirdos.
Old 08-23-04, 02:13 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,598
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
wow, just wow.
Old 08-23-04, 02:13 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mllefoo
No. is green. Fucking colorblind weirdos.
There are different shades of green just as there are different shades of white, black, yellow...etc. If you weren't white you would understand that. We must look to the smiley for racial harmony.
Old 08-23-04, 02:14 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: detroit, MI, USA
Posts: 3,659
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're not being racist though. Just pointing out some of your observations, right?
Old 08-23-04, 02:24 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Santa Clara, California
Posts: 10,225
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone's weird.
Old 08-23-04, 02:27 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,190
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
fo shizzle
Old 08-23-04, 02:28 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,190
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Iron Chef

I can't help but think of that scene in Undercover Brother.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.