Reload this Page >

optimal weight training routine?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-23-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone have a workout schedule that is optimal, in terms of promoting the most muscle gain?

i'm talking about what days and how often to work the arms, shoulders, chest, legs, etc...

for example....

M-W-F: biceps, triceps, chest
T-Th: chest, shoulders, back
?:legs

any muscle groups that you should always work together? or avoid working on the same day?

and specific articles or sources would be great...i don't want opinion here folks, i want hard science!

thanks in advance...
Old 08-23-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ask Parcher.
Old 08-23-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

That's too much. Do weight 3 times a week and alternate chest M,F one week with legs on W, then reverse the following week.
Old 08-23-04, 01:01 PM

Before this one devolves, I'll make on small suggestion. Train your large/core muscle groups on the day before the supporting ones. Do not train triceps and biceps on a Monday and then chest and back on a Tuesday. Your supporting muscles, i.e. triceps and biceps, will fail first, limiting the gains you chest and back could make.
Old 08-23-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Parcher (tumbleweeds rollin'...)
Old 08-23-04, 01:34 PM

A lot of people I know have had quite a bit of success following HST(hypertrophic specific training). It is a system designed to maximize muscle hyptertrophy. Not everyone who follows this system gains strength but everyone does add muscle mass. Just do a google search for a little more information. It is basically a system where you do the same routine every day, a full body workout, but only a couple sets per body part. You start out in a high rep range and gradually increase the load you place on the muscle. Every two weeks you decrease the number of reps allowing you to increase the amount of resistance. This progressive increase in resistance stimulates your muscles to grow at a rate most people have no seen before.
Old 08-23-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Twice a day for maximum pump-age!
Old 08-23-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HST is great, 5*5 is great.

This works all muscle groups (nearly all). Fullbody, 3 times per week.

Squat
Deadlift
Bench press
Bent-over BB rows

4-5 sets, 5 reps, 1 rep away from failure, no forced reps. Will do you wonders. It doesn't get anymore hard-core than this, and if you are looking to burn cals, the above exercises will do so.
Old 08-23-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Scientific weightlifting! http://www.engr.mun.ca/~butt/index.html
Old 08-23-04, 01:50 PM

how's that scientific?
Old 08-23-04, 02:03 PM

let's play nice.
Old 08-23-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bigsoos
how's that scientific?
bigsoos- name a scientific book about weightlifting, and he's read it. By God, he has read everything, from piss-poor to Verkoshansky. It's scientific because he has sources confirming EVERYTHING. His articles are objective, in-depth and analytical, and his knowledge is superb.

You are just trying to peck a fight, well, my dear feriocious cockster, there is no fight. Casey's articles and routines are rooted in science.
Old 08-23-04, 02:16 PM

wow, hostile. I was just saying that b/c I was glancing through the site and didn't see any medical references or anything. You just need to chill out a lil man. damn.
Old 08-23-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Medical references? What are you talking about?

By the way, you replied 9 minutes after my post- which means you didn't take the time to actually browse the site and read one whole article.

Medical....references?
Old 08-23-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Parcher
HST is great, 5*5 is great.

This works all muscle groups (nearly all). Fullbody, 3 times per week.

Squat
Deadlift
Bench press
Bent-over BB rows

4-5 sets, 5 reps, 1 rep away from failure, no forced reps. Will do you wonders. It doesn't get anymore hard-core than this, and if you are looking to burn cals, the above exercises will do so.
Since we seem to flame parcher when to brings nonsense to other threads, I will agree with him on the rare occasion that he is usefull. His advice is typically slided toward heavy weight training (here) as oposed to general fitness for people with other goals.

I do agree with 5*5 workouts on occasion to mix up routines, and find them usefull. I would add military BB presses to the above though, possibly instead of the rows.
Old 08-23-04, 02:31 PM

grrrah: so how often do you do the 5*5 routine? do you mostly do the 1 bodypart a workout thing?
Old 08-23-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can add military press fine, no problem. I love that exercise. But I'd keep the rows, they hit all of the back, some of the delts and the biceps.
Old 08-23-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

grrrah: so how often do you do the 5*5 routine? do you mostly do the 1 bodypart a workout thing?
I haven't done it in a while (over a year). But before, I would change my routine every 6 weeks or so. probably do th 5*5 one out of every 3 routine switches. I know other people like to do it more often. Like it was pointed out, it was the full body workout, with the core excercises only. I would do it 3 days a week.

Lately I have been doing the typical back/bi, chest/tri, shoulders, legs workout.
Old 08-23-04, 07:22 PM

so its basically like a powerlifter's routine right? Ever check out Dorian Yates' method?
Old 08-23-04, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by Parcher
Medical references? What are you talking about?

By the way, you replied 9 minutes after my post- which means you didn't take the time to actually browse the site and read one whole article.

Medical....references?
yes, medical references... like in this article:
http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/fail.htm
when you said scientific, I was just expecting to see something referenced is all.
Old 08-24-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so its basically like a powerlifter's routine right? Ever check out Dorian Yates' method?
Dorian Yates was nuts. The one set workout where he'd do 3 warmup sets and then one real set.
Old 08-24-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: optimal weight training routine?

Originally posted by slateef
does anyone have a workout schedule that is optimal, in terms of promoting the most muscle gain?

i'm talking about what days and how often to work the arms, shoulders, chest, legs, etc...

for example....

M-W-F: biceps, triceps, chest
T-Th: chest, shoulders, back
?:legs

any muscle groups that you should always work together? or avoid working on the same day?

and specific articles or sources would be great...i don't want opinion here folks, i want hard science!

thanks in advance...
Are you doing chest 5 days a week? You should only be doing it once or twice a week typically. Also as others have said, make sure you train you primary groups first then secondary later or the following day. Chest, back, and shoulders come before arms and everything before forearms. In my opinion chest and shoulders should be split up because they recruit too many similar muscle groups. Chest and back is okay though. I used to do biceps after back and triceps after chest to kind of finish off the arm muscles since chest and back recruit triceps and biceps respectively. But now I combine arms into one day. Every pro has a slightly different split and different opinion on what the best combos are. Legs should be trained once a week IMO, and really heavy. It will probably be the only thing you can train that day because if done right you should barely be able to move after a leg workout. You can train calves every two-three days though, similar to abs. But just like upper body, quads and hamstrings before calves.

Never heard of this hst thing, I will have to look into it further.