Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Janet Jackson: Bush White House Used My Boob To Distract From Iraq...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-23-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

---

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX SUN AUG 22, 2004 16:28:04 ET XXXXX

JANET JACKSON: BUSH WHITE HOUSE USED MY BOOB TO DISTRACT FROM IRAQ

Janet Jackson now claims that her "Nipplegate" Super Bowl incident was used by the Bush administration to distract people from the war in Iraq!

Mike Slezak, managing editor of GENRE magazine, tells DRUDGE he has set the provocative Jackson interview for October's issue.

Developing...
Old 08-23-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in all fairness, she uses her tits to distract us from her horrible music
Old 08-23-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No. Bush (assuming he signs the bill), Congress, and the FCC used her boob to run roughshod over the 1st amendment.
Old 08-23-04, 11:20 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Save Howard Stern!
DVD Talk Hero

If it were a better boob, maybe the ploy would have worked better. I think most people didn't want to see it and were offended.
DVD Talk God

Wow. Does she have a high opinion of an average boob, or what?
Old 08-23-04, 11:21 AM

and JJ used her boob so she could be in the spotlight again.
Old 08-23-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
No. Bush (assuming he signs the bill), Congress, and the FCC used her boob to run roughshod over the 1st amendment.

I agree
Old 08-23-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It takes more than a rotting eggplant to distract this country from Iraq.
Old 08-23-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

You don't think the 200k complaints filed by citizens had anything to do with it?
Old 08-23-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Just wow.
Old 08-23-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Geofferson
and JJ used her boob so she could be in the spotlight again.
Ding! Ding! We have a winner.
Old 08-23-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by General Zod
You don't think the 200k complaints filed by citizens had anything to do with it?

Sure. Of course, there were tens of millions who didn't seem to have a problem with it. I guess the Congress simply ignored those people. Heck, one of my Senators didn't even send the right form reply letter to my letter expressing disdain for further content regulation.

This is what we have come to - NBC didn't even show a topless woman who was part of the Olympic Opening Ceremonies. They frequently mention in their telecasts that athletes in the ancient Olympics competed in the nude. However, they better not show the homage to that from the Opening Ceremonies. Little Johnny must not be exposed to breasts. They could have aired a warning prior to showing it - but no, it still could be very very offensive to show a couple of nipples.

Last edited by Red Dog; 08-23-04 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-23-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Sure. Of course, there were tens of millions who didn't seem to have a problem with it. I guess the Congress simply ignored those people. Heck, my Congressman didn't even send the right form reply letter to my letter expressing disdain for further content regulation.
I think you make an unfair assumption that everyone who didn't write a complaint letter "didn't seem to have a problem with it". I felt it was inappropriate, as I was watching the game and show with a 12 yr. old - who really didn't need exposure to that exposure . However, I didn't feel like writing a letter about it - but that doesn't mean I didn't have a problem with it.

I've said before that her flashing her boob wasn't what got me upset about it - what got me upset about it is the way it was done. That Justin reached over and tore her shirt open. This is NOT something you want impressionable young "little Johnny's" to think is OK.
Old 08-23-04, 11:49 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Nipplegate

Anyone have the attention whore pic handy?
Old 08-23-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sure. Of course, there were tens of millions who didn't seem to have a problem with it. I guess the Congress simply ignored those people. Heck, one of my Senators didn't even send the right form reply letter to my letter expressing disdain for further content regulation.

This is what we have come to - NBC didn't even show a topless woman who was part of the Olympic Opening Ceremonies. They frequently mention in their telecasts that athletes in the ancient Olympics competed in the nude. However, they better not show the homage to that from the Opening Ceremonies. Little Johnny must not be exposed to breasts. They could have aired a warning prior to showing it - but no, it still could be very very offensive to show a couple of nipples.
Playing advocate here, but does your idea of what's acceptable trump other people ideas? While it may not be a big deal to you, it seems like you're dismissing people who are concerned about content on broadcast TV.
Old 08-23-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck this Bush wrecked the First Admendment bullshit. Can someone please name one thing that the whole Janet Jackson/FCC thing did to wreck their lives or damage them in any way? People always use that excuse but then when they are asked how has it affected their lives it's "Well it hasn't but it's against the first admentment! Wa wa wa!"

Last edited by Mopower; 08-23-04 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-23-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you make an unfair assumption that everyone who didn't write a complaint letter "didn't seem to have a problem with it". I felt it was inappropriate, as I was watching the game and show with a 12 yr. old - who really didn't need exposure to that exposure . However, I didn't feel like writing a letter about it - but that doesn't mean I didn't have a problem with it.

I've said before that her flashing her boob wasn't what got me upset about it - what got me upset about it is the way it was done. That Justin reached over and tore her shirt open. This is NOT something you want impressionable young "little Johnny's" to think is OK.

I think the worst part of the FCC's actions was the OVERREACTION and the fallout that followed.
Old 08-23-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Nazgul
Playing advocate here, but does your idea of what's acceptable trump other people ideas? While it may not be a big deal to you, it seems like you're dismissing people who are concerned about content on broadcast TV.

Not at all, but I do believe in the 1st amendment and that trumps what I or others want when it comes to government regulation of content.

Now I can be a reasonable individual, and I've said I can accept a middle gound where the 7 dirty words are not used (even though that is really the most asinine regulation), and graphic sex and male and female genitalia are not depicted - note that these are objective standards - on broadcast tv/radio. A breast or nipple though? C'mon.
Old 08-23-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I think the worst part of the FCC's actions was the OVERREACTION and the fallout that followed.

Absolutely. Senator Brownback and others were licking their chops over it, and they finally had the ammunition they needed to get their morality-based legislation passed.
Old 08-23-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Grown men beating the crap out of each other over a ball (and celebrating after each play) is okay, though?

Not that I don't think 12 year olds shouldn't watch football - I just think this whole thing was a bit overblown. The issue I had with it was that there was no warning, not that a breast was shown.
Old 08-23-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Duran
The issue I had with it was that there was no warning, not that a breast was shown.

NBC didn't even want to test the application of a warning - they could have easily inserted a warning (since it was tape-delayed) saying boobies were coming in the Opening Ceremonies (heck, they do this for what events are coming in primetime) but the government has everyone running scared. Look at Clear Channel.
Old 08-23-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If only there were some way to let little Johnny know when something on TV is not OK. Some form of -- oh, let's call it "communication" -- by which a parent could convey his or her ideas about what's right and what's not to little Johnny.
Old 08-23-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JasonF
If only there were some way to let little Johnny know when something on TV is not OK. Some form of -- oh, let's call it "communication" -- by which a parent could convey his or her ideas about what's right and what's not to little Johnny.
But TV is a lazy parents greatest baby sitter.
Old 08-23-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by JasonF

Yeah - I watched the A-Team when I was 12. I never got the idea that it was okay to fire automatic weapons at will - even by solidiers of fortune helping those who have problems and have enough money to hire them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.