"You just said that 'cause I'm BLACK right?"

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-22-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys I need to vent a bit...

Was taking the subway on my way from work. It was pretty crowded as usual. One fat woman was leaning against the post where people usually use that post to grab on to. She was leaning her whole body into it, listening to her discman while other people were struggling to hold on something.

I finally grabbed the pole (and dug in her back) because I was tired of touching the ceiling to hold on... And then it started:

-Wassup fool!
-You're leaning against the post! People need to use it!
-Motherfucker! You dove your fingers in my back!
-That's because you're a lazy moron, straighten up!
-You racist bitch! You say that 'cause I'm black right?
-No! I'm saying that because you're a lazy fat woman who ignores everyone around her!

My stop was coming so I got off while she continued to rant

While I agree that slavery was one of the WORST ideas in human history, I had NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!!

Anybody experience similar encounters?

I am not David Duke!! Aaargh!
Old 08-22-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Racist! Everyone knows that we owe every black person 40 acres and a pole.
Old 08-22-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Racism, reverse racism...
Will it ever end?
Old 08-22-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

no comment, but the OP was right
Old 08-22-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My response would have been, "No, I just said it because you're stupid."

Stupid comes in all colors.
Old 08-22-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My mother-in-law had a similar run in with a woman who happened to be black. She accidently bumped into the woman in a department store, and the woman called her a stupid ho'. She just looked down her nose at her and calmly said, "The word is "whore", W-H-O-R-E" and walked off.
Old 08-22-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My original post was a bit hurried because I was mad, sorry

That "example" is just one in about 2 or 3 that I have to face each month...

I was raised in a neighborhood along with portuguese, black, italian and one russian kid hehe.

I always embraced cultural diversity; it expanded my horizons, opened my eyes to new paths.

But this "you sayin' this 'cause I'm black" thing is seriously getting on my nerves.

Those people should stop worshiping Tupac and Biggie and first learn how to speak, spell, stop shitting out children to get more $$$ from welfare and get A JOB or go to SCHOOL!

There I said it. And call me a racist because I'm not Chris Rock I don't care.
Old 08-22-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

(opens umbrella and braces for inevitable shitstorm)
Old 08-22-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bring it on!!

I'm tired of some black people using race as a cop out!

I did NOT kill Martin Luther King and I hate Hitler!!

Why do some black people use that stupid cop-out like it's a god given right?
Old 08-22-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's okay for Chris Rock to be racist because he's black.

There. I said it.

Funk dat. If you're playing the race card at every little thing, you don't deserve any respect.

I work with a variety of different people, and as far as I can tell, nobody at work ever uses the race card. I like most of the folks I work with.
Old 08-22-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's shit like that some black people do that make people racist against them in the first place.
Old 08-22-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

you think that is bad, i live in a city with millions of white people who think we are the cause of everything bad in the world.
Old 08-22-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Darkfriend
Those people should stop worshiping Tupac and Biggie and first learn how to speak, spell, stop shitting out children to get more $$$ from welfare and get A JOB or go to SCHOOL!
I like how this part in particular really strengthens your argument.

I can understand why you're upset. That does not justify ignorant rants like this.

Ironic handle btw.
Old 08-22-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But this "you sayin' this 'cause I'm black" thing is seriously getting on my nerves.

Interesting. I think your post kinda defends the fat woman on the subway. She figured you were racist instead of irritated by her laziness because you were white and she probably looks at most/every white person and thinks of stereotytpes such as "shes racist", similar to the above quoted statement you made but only in reverse.

I honestly feel as though 90% of you feel like the quote you made (which was a stereotypical remark) whether they say it openly or not. I guess your post adds fuel to the fire.

Unlike some people, Im not gonna sit here and say I dont stereotype people, I do as well. Example: Whenever I see a white person I imediately think of certain things.

1) If its a chick she's either scared of me or likes me (maybe both).
2) If its a guy I tend to think their racial tolerance will be less than that of the female. Admittedly, I usually think I can take them in sports or in a fight (just being honest)

Universally, I think that most whites see me and assumes things as well. (esp. since I'm a big guy)
1) Im stupid (which Im not)
2) Im a gang member or criminal (wrong again)
3) Im an athlete (i do play sports recreationally)

Although I think those things, I dont allow it to make me treat them any differently. I have those thoughts, but will wait and get to know them before making judgements. It would be nice to say that most people dont stereotype others (in or out of their race) but its just not the truth.
Old 08-22-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't care what color you are. If you're being stupid, I'm going to call you on it. Unless I'm at work, then I'll just ridicule you after you've left.

Like I said, stupid comes in all colors.

I work with a lovely girl who happens to speak ebonics. I like her, but I have to admit I cringe when she says axe instead of ask, and numerous other mispronunciations. But I know she's a nice and reasonably intelligent woman so I don't bother her about it. But if you're doing something stupid and/or inconsiderate, I WILL judge you for it. Plain and simple.

You know it's funny. I didn't notice one of the vet techs at work is Chinese till someone asked me where the chinese guy was. I sort of gave the person a look and said, "Who?" "Ted." "Oh, him. He's in the back." He just looks like an emo kid to me.
Old 08-22-04, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Mopower
It's shit like that some black people do that make people racist against them in the first place.
oh yeah, thats it.
Old 08-22-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Comfort Eagle
oh yeah, thats it.

Whatever. Black people need to stop their bitching.
Old 08-22-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I live in a "lower-class" neighborhood (rent is great!) so I do see a lot of white/black whatnot young women with 2 or 3 kids.

For example, last month I went to the ATM the 1st of the month, unaware of the welfare check.

There was already a line-up of 17 year old girls with one or two kids waiting for their checks.

It's a reality where I live. The kind of reality where you drop by the convenience store to buy a pack of gum at 7:30 AM before going to work, and the guy next to you buys a King Can of Bud for his breakfast.

I see white girls, hispanic girls, black girls who crap out kids like it's a goddam weapon. And what "model" do those kids have? Yep, their immediate family. So they continue the cycle of "have babies because the government gives money"....

Not to mention that those people on welfare NEED to have satellite TV, 2 wireless phones, high speed internet...."

But I digress.
Old 08-22-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This thread is full of ignorance. You can't lump all black people together in one group and say that they all collectively should stop bitching. And one more thing:

I finally grabbed the pole (and dug in her back) because I was tired of touching the ceiling to hold on... And then it started
Ever think that if you had simply asked politely, instead of digging your fingers into her back, that she might have just moved? You'll never know since you didn't try it first. If she had been white, you'd still probably have argued with her, but it wouldn't have been over race. You're partially to blame for this argument. And if you say "No, it's her fault for hogging the pole", you should probably learn something that a lot of others on this board already know...
LIFE ISN'T FAIR....GET USED TO IT.
Old 08-22-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess the answer is simple...

Old 08-22-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched Bill Cosby at the Rainbow PUSH Conference and he spoke to many of these issues and was dead on the money. He caused quite a stir (which I think was his intention) because he didn't dance around the topic. After his speech C-SPAN ran a panel discussion of leaders in Philly who spoke to Cosby's comments. I wish more people could have seen it.

-pedagogue
Old 08-22-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: "You just said that 'cause I'm BLACK right?"

-You racist bitch! You say that 'cause I'm black right?
When this happens, just shake your head and say, "That's all you'll be with that attitude."
Old 08-22-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had bums *demand* money. Not "hey, sir, do you have any spare change," but "I'm homeless, gimmie some money."

If I've got some spare change and a poor person asks me nicely and they look like they're in a bad situation, I usually will give them something. But I don't like being told to give someone money.

So I refuse.

Their response? "Oh, you won't give me money because I'm black."

My response? "Go f*** yourself."
Old 08-22-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Seantn
This thread is full of ignorance. You can't lump all black people together in one group and say that they all collectively should stop bitching. And one more thing:

Ever think that if you had simply asked politely, instead of digging your fingers into her back, that she might have just moved? You'll never know since you didn't try it first. If she had been white, you'd still probably have argued with her, but it wouldn't have been over race. You're partially to blame for this argument. And if you say "No, it's her fault for hogging the pole", you should probably learn something that a lot of others on this board already know...
LIFE ISN'T FAIR....GET USED TO IT.

You just saved me from typing exactly the same thing. Darkfriend was rude to the woman first. Did she overreact? Of course. Is every slight that occurs to her in life because of race? Of course not, and she's foolish for jumping to that conclusion. But digging your fingers into someone's back and calling them a lazy moron is hardly civil behavior, either.
Old 08-22-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
My mother-in-law had a similar run in with a woman who happened to be black. She accidently bumped into the woman in a department store, and the woman called her a stupid ho'. She just looked down her nose at her and calmly said, "The word is "whore", W-H-O-R-E" and walked off.
Your mother-in-law rocks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.