Reload this Page >

Man fired for heckling Bush

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-21-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this should provoke a 10 page discussion. Discuss.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/08/....ap/index.html
Saturday, August 21, 2004 Posted: 6:17 PM EDT (2217 GMT)

CHARLESTON, West Virginia (AP) -- A man who heckled President Bush at a political rally was fired from his job at an advertising and design company for offending a client who provided tickets to the event.

The fired graphic designer said Saturday he won't try to get his job back.

"I'm mad less about losing the job -- I'm more mad about the reasons," said Glen Hiller, 35, of Berkeley Springs. "All I did was show up and voice my opinion."

Hiller was ushered out of Hedgesville High School on Tuesday after shouting his disagreement with Bush's comments about the war in Iraq and the search for weapons of mass destruction. The crowd had easily drowned out Hiller with its chant: "Four more years."

"He surrounds himself with people who support him," Hiller said of Bush. "Your opinion ... is viewed as right or wrong."

When he showed up for work at Octavo Designs of Frederick, Maryland, the following morning, he said he was told he'd embarrassed and offended a client who provided tickets to the event -- and that he was fired.

The client was a public relations worker who represents the Berkeley County school district, he said. "It's just bizarre that you disagree with them and it all turns evil," Hiller said.

Messages left with Octavo Designs were not immediately returned Saturday.

The father of two young girls had worked at the design firm for five months, doesn't plan to appeal the firing, and holds no grudge against his boss.

"To some degree I can see her point of view," Hiller said. "Advertising is all about having the perfect tan and driving a cool car. It's all about image."

Hiller said he now plans to pursue work as a registered nurse, a field in which he worked for 10 years before landing the design job.

Last month, Charleston City Council apologized to two protesters arrested for wearing anti-Bush T-shirts to the president's July 4 rally. The pair were taken from the event in restraints after revealing T-shirts with Bush's name crossed out on the front and the words "Love America, Hate Bush" on the back. Trespassing charges were ultimately dismissed.
Old 08-21-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If he really did embarrass the client who provided the tickets, then he should have been at least disciplined. Firing seems a bit much, unless he had some previous problems with this. He is right about working in advertising though, it is all about image, and it's all BS.
Old 08-21-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Waiting for someone to blame Bush for this..
Old 08-21-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Part of the continuous stream of madness occuring south of the border can be blamed on Bush.
Old 08-21-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure if this is about politics as much as the world of advertizing and other image-based careers where the client rules all and often makes unfair demands. Piss off a major client, and you're out the door, fair or not.

I am curious why he was ushered out of the event, though. I wonder what he said/did.

das
Old 08-21-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn liberal media... why is this a story? Everyone should just listen to what our president says and not question it. I mean, he's the president... it's not an easy job to get. You have to be elected by the citizens of your country for cripes sake. It's not like this ad agency guy was ever president of anything - the best job he could get was working in advertising. Where does he get off heckling someone who is clearly smarter and better than he is? He should be thrown out of the country or beheaded for such treason. At least he was fired for his actions. Hope they tap his phones and watch him because he might be a terrorist.
Old 08-21-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You almost had it Trigger.

If only you had used "shot" instead of "beheaded."
Old 08-21-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

crap - I almost changed "might be a terrorist" to "probably a terrorist" - didn't think about the beheaded part being off. I'll try harder.
Old 08-21-04, 08:52 PM

If he was stupid enough to go to an event with tickets supplied by a client, and bash the whole purpose of the event then he deserves what he got.
Old 08-21-04, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by eXcentris
Part of the continuous stream of madness occuring south of the border can be blamed on Bush.
What does Mexico have to do with this?

Old 08-21-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Man fired for heckling Bush

Originally posted by OldDude
Well, this should provoke a 10 page discussion. Discuss.
Not much to discuss. I don't work in advertising, but I do work for a company that will immediately terminate you upon receiving a complaint from a large client. In fact, just such a thing happened two weeks ago to one of my coworkers at an event that had nothing to do with company business.

It doesn't have to be fair, but client/provider relationships are usually at least viewed as tenuous in competitive markets, and considering the amount of money in play, people who are seen as putting that partnership in jeopardy are usually removed.
Old 08-21-04, 09:02 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

squeak, squeak, squeak...

World's smalles violin.
Remember, the customer(or client in this case, is always right) so not surprising.
Old 08-21-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by bhk
squeak, squeak, squeak...

World's smalles violin.
Remember, the customer(or client in this case, is always right) so not surprising.
while I agree with their firing, I strongly disagree with the customer always being right. That position shows absolutely no backbone whatsoever in a company and is usually rewarded with disdain and disloyalty from their workers.
Old 08-21-04, 09:11 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

That position shows absolutely no backbone whatsoever in a company and is usually rewarded with disdain and disloyalty from their workers.
Yes, much better they stick up for him, lose the client and declare bankruptcy.
The workers then will be really happy to have worked for a company that stood up to their clients on behalf of their workers.
Old 08-21-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by FinkPish
If he really did embarrass the client who provided the tickets, then he should have been at least disciplined.
Nah, firing seems well-justified.

If a business partner bought me a ticket to attend an event, then my attendance is conditioned on the assumption that I won't embarrass that partner. This is doubly true with a client, who, presumably, is bringing business to your company; doing something unsavory makes that client less likely to do business with you in the future.

If you bought the tickets yourself, you're welcome to do whatever you want when you attend, of course.

- David Stein
Old 08-21-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's refreshing how the guy understood (even if he disagrees) and isn't planning to appeal or sue or anything.
Old 08-21-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by BizRodian
It's refreshing how the guy understood (even if he disagrees) and isn't planning to appeal or sue or anything.
Agreed.

I shut my mouth and smile politely whenever I'm out with clients.
Old 08-21-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did this embrass the client? Did the guy wear a T-shirt that said "Mr. Dickweed gave me tickets to this event" or something? Who there knew how the guy got the tickets? Who there knew his rather tenuous connection to the client?

I think it's an overreaction, but the guy is handling it with class.
Old 08-21-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Jason
How did this embrass the client? Did the guy wear a T-shirt that said "Mr. Dickweed gave me tickets to this event" or something? Who there knew how the guy got the tickets? Who there knew his rather tenuous connection to the client?
If I were the client and someone I invited was behaving like that, I'd be embarressed too regardless of anyone knew of our connection. Just the fact that I'm the reason he's there would be enough to bother me.
Old 08-21-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How did this embrass the client?
"Hiller was ushered out of Hedgesville High School ..."

"The client was a public relations worker who represents the Berkeley County school district ..."

Not knowing what actually happened, it's hard to comment on whether the reaction is warranted or not, but I'm guessing this connection has something to do with it.

das
Old 08-22-04, 12:04 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I heckled das Monkey once and was BANNED for 2 weeks. Be careful folks, it could happen to you!

Old 08-22-04, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Nah, firing seems well-justified.

If a business partner bought me a ticket to attend an event, then my attendance is conditioned on the assumption that I won't embarrass that partner. This is doubly true with a client, who, presumably, is bringing business to your company; doing something unsavory makes that client less likely to do business with you in the future.

If you bought the tickets yourself, you're welcome to do whatever you want when you attend, of course.

- David Stein
Nice to see you on this side of the fence David.

We had a very pointed memo circulated at work that even discussing political views at work can be a difficult thing. We have clients coming around our area all the time. Someone evidently said something that upset one client. They wanted to make it perfectly clear that people need to know who is around when they are talking and to watch sensitive discussions in the open. They also made the same point about events attended with clients or business associates.
Old 08-22-04, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BizRodian
That is true. Though I think he disagrees with the client's political views. He is taking responsbility for his actions. He probably knew how his employer would react if they found out.
Old 08-22-04, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's an overreaction, but the guy is handling it with class.
Hmm.. people probably asked, "How did that guy get in".. Were there assigned seats? Did he tell someone next to him who he was at any point prior to being removed? Was the CLIENT there too? (very likely)-

He did shout ["after shouting his disagreement"], so he definitely called attention to himself, as the rest of the people shouted him down supposedly.

Knowing your audience is very important.

In the end, if you get tickets that are business related, you have to behave as if you are at work. This guy didn't.
Old 08-22-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by matchpenalty
In the end, if you get tickets that are business related, you have to behave as if you are at work. This guy didn't.
A rule to live by.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.