Old 08-13-04, 09:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Kerry saved the life of a former GOP Senator

Former GOP Sen. Hecht owes life to Democratic candidate Kerry

By Kirsten Searer
<[email protected]>
LAS VEGAS SUN

Former U.S. Sen. Chic Hecht of Nevada is a staunch Republican, but he thanks his lucky stars for Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts.

On July 12, 1988, Hecht was attending a weekly Republican luncheon when a piece of apple lodged firmly in his throat.

Hecht stumbled out of the room, thinking he might vomit but not wanting to do it in front of his colleagues. Sen. Kit Bond, R-Mo., thumped his back, but Hecht quickly passed out in the hallway.

Just then, Kerry stepped off an elevator, rushed to Hecht's side and gave him the Heimlich maneuver -- four times.

The lifesaving incident made international news, and Dr. Henry Heimlich, who invented the maneuver in 1974, called Hecht to say that had Kerry intervened just 30 seconds later Hecht might have been in a vegetative state for life.

"This man gave me my life," the 75-year-old Hecht said Thursday.

Hecht said he was amazed that Kerry acted so quickly -- some people were assuming that he was having a heart attack.

"He knew exactly what to do," he said. "But a lot of people know what to do. They just don't size up the situation immediately."

The story has a twist of irony: Hecht was up for re-election that year, and Kerry, who was serving as the chairman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, had pegged Hecht as one of the most vulnerable Republican seats.

Indeed, the Democratic nominee for Hecht's seat, then-Gov. Richard Bryan, beat Hecht, who served just one term in office.

"Only in America can this happen, where he's working against me to get me defeated and then saves my life," Hecht said.

Hecht, who prides himself on having one of the most conservative records on the books during his six years in the Senate, said he and his wife, Gail, see politics as "a secondary issue" when it comes to Kerry.

"We've had a wonderful life, and it would have all been down the tubes," said Hecht, who is about to celebrate his 45th wedding anniversary with his wife.

Every year the Hechts call Kerry's longtime personal secretary, who tracks down Kerry wherever he is.

Then they recount some of their experiences in the last year. Hecht and his wife thank Kerry for thinking so quickly in the Senate halls that day. And Kerry tells them that their phone call is one of his favorites of the year.

"He's so nice and appreciative," Hecht said.

This year Kerry was taking a day's vacation from campaigning, and he told them that he thought his campaign was finally gaining momentum.

Some of the Hechts hope so. Both of Hecht's daughters have attended Kerry events, and Gail Hecht hopes to travel to California the next time Kerry is there to voice her support, Hecht said.

Still, Hecht points out that he and Gail have given the maximum possible contribution to President Bush's campaign ($2,000 each). Hecht, a longtime businessman and banker, served as President George H.W. Bush's ambassador to the Bahamas.

Soon after the Iowa caucuses, a former Los Angeles county deputy sheriff and Republican Jim Rassmann stood with Kerry at an event to tell the story of when Kerry saved his life in the jungles of Vietnam.

Rassmann, a Green Beret, was ambushed along Bay Hap river, but Kerry, who also had been injured in the attack, grabbed Rassmann's arm and pulled him to safety, according to Kerry's website.

On Wednesday, Roll Call wrote a story about Hecht's incident. So far, Kerry hasn't asked Hecht to appear at a campaign event, but Hecht said he would if he were asked.

Hecht won't, however, say who he would vote for in November if Kerry wins the Democratic nomination.

"Only the Good Lord and myself will know how I'm going to vote," he said.

link: http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/st...516309920.html
Old 08-13-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah... saves this guy in 1988, but where was he when Bush was choking on that pretzel?

Mr. Flip... meet Mr. Flop.

Old 08-13-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
Yeah... saves this guy in 1988, but where was he when Bush was choking on that pretzel?

Mr. Flip... meet Mr. Flop.

Old 08-13-04, 09:52 PM
X
Administrator

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
He could have put out someone's eye with that expelled apple!
Old 08-13-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did he get a silver star for it?
Old 08-13-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk God

No, I believe Kerry received his Silver Star on Christmas Eve, 1968, in Cambodia. Wasn't that when the drunken South Vietnamese were firing at him in celebration of Christmas?
Old 08-13-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

K. All kidding aside, good job, Kerry.
Old 08-13-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I woulda been all like "biatch! next time chew your food"
Old 08-13-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Only in America can this happen, where he's working against me to get me defeated and then saves my life," Hecht said.
This really is true. Can you imagine what would have happened if Iyad Allawi was walking down the hall and saw Saddam Hussein choking on an apple, or vice versa? Democracy is pretty cool.
Old 08-13-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JasonF
This really is true. Can you imagine what would have happened if Iyad Allawi was walking down the hall and saw Saddam Hussein choking on an apple, or vice versa? Democracy is pretty cool.
This really is a cool story. Honestly folks, I'm prouder of this guy by the second.

I wonder if Swift Boat Whatever for Truth have another version where Kerry chokes the man and then punches him in the stomach...and then gives himself a medal.

I also wonder...if Kerry is such a biography whore, why hasn't this come up before?

It boggles the mind.
Old 08-13-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can we get this thread changed to "John Kerry saved the life of a former GOP Senator... for his own pleasure"?

First off, I'm very happy that Kerry saved the man's life.

Second, I'm not even a little surprised that an impartial CNN journalist just happens to choose right now to dredge up a 16 year old story praising Kerry.
Old 08-13-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice human interest story on Kerry.

I also wonder...if Kerry is such a biography whore, why hasn't this come up before?
'Cause Al Gore wasn't finished with Google in 1988.
Old 08-14-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
Can we get this thread changed to "John Kerry saved the life of a former GOP Senator... for his own pleasure"?

First off, I'm very happy that Kerry saved the man's life.

Second, I'm not even a little surprised that an impartial CNN journalist just happens to choose right now to dredge up a 16 year old story praising Kerry.
Yeah, any verified character-building stories about Kerry must be really annoying to some people.
Old 08-14-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice human interest story.

Last I checked, the US wasn't the only country to have democracy I think it has very little to do with democracy though... just in other places they don't value human life as much.
Old 08-14-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by marty888
Yeah, any verified character-building stories about Kerry must be really annoying to some people.
To whom are you referring? I'm not annoyed at all about this story. My mind is 95% made up about Kerry, character and all, so this story really doesn't have much of an impact on me. I think many conservatives are making way too large of an issue out of Kerry's Vietnam record (as are many liberals and Kerry himself). And while this is a nice story, this really doesn't impact Kerry's character too much; it's not as if there's any great personal cost or sacrifice to giving somebody else the Heimlich.

It's also pretty stale. I wonder how the writer came across this story so many years after it happened?
Old 08-14-04, 12:14 AM

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts
Kerry has since admitted that had he known Hecht was a Republican, "I probably would have let him die."
Old 08-14-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's also pretty stale. I wonder how the writer came across this story so many years after it happened?
It's from a Nevada newspaper (the guy Kerry saved was a Nevada Senator) from this past February -- i.e. right in the middle of the primaries, when America was "getting to know" the candidates.

I'm not sure why DeGalon ran across it/posted it now.
Old 08-14-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 270 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Kerry has since admitted that had he known Hecht was a Republican, "I probably would have let him die."
You just heard that Fox News, didn't you?
Old 08-14-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
You just heard that Fox News, didn't you?
Actually, the Fox News version is that Kerry said "Had I known he was a Rpeublican, I would have shot him in the back like a poor defenseless Vietnamese boy."
Old 08-14-04, 01:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
[....] it's not as if there's any great personal cost or sacrifice to giving somebody else the Heimlich.
</small>Precisely this point was addressed in the story where Hecht himelf is quoted as saying: " [....] a lot of people know what to do. They just don't size up the situation immediately."

What an an utterly damning quality to be ascribed to a presidential hopeful.
Old 08-14-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk God

I see the 'we love Kerry (regardless)' contingency is out in full force over a tiny incident that might show character; and, yet they totally ignore his bald faced lies about Cambodia & whether this is a sign of his true character or not. I understand, like the 'we love Bush (regardless)' contigency that consistency is not one of their strong suits.
Old 08-14-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What? both of them?
Old 08-14-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by benedict
What an an utterly damning quality to be ascribed to a presidential hopeful.
Quit putting words in people's mouths. Who said it was damning?

It's a good deed, and I doubt many people are denying it as one. That said, the same thing probably happens hundreds, if not thousands, of times a day in restaurants and homes across this country. I don't mind a president being the guy quick to rush in with the Heimlich, but I don't think it's a Presidential prerequisite.
Old 08-14-04, 07:59 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Quit putting words in people's mouths. Who said it was damning?
</small>No one put words in your mouth and I really can't imagine why you'd make such a ludicrous suggestion.
Old 08-14-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am going to withold judgement until I hear from former Republican Senators for the Truth. Where is their book ... "Unfit to Heimlich."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.