Reload this Page >

Tribune Company versus City of Chicago

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-12-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some interesting stories have been coming out of Chicago over the last few weeks regarding the Chicago Cubs, their owner, and the City of Chicago.

About eight weeks ago, some fans sitting in the lower level of Wrigley Field were hit by concrete from the upper deck. Apparently the stadium officials were made aware of this, but did nothing to fix the issue. A few weeks later, a few more fans sitting in a different lower level section were also hit by concrete, but this time they apparently complained to the city.

The city told the Cubs (who is owned by the Tribune) to fix the stadium or they will face closure. The Cubs hired engineers and they looked at square inch of the stadium. To prevent future concrete falling, the Cubs installed nets around the concrete. The city approved the nets and allowed the fans to watch games at Wrigley.

Fast forward about two weeks -- somebody caught wind that the Cubs did not receive the proper permits to install nets at Wrigley. The Tribune/Cubs became pissed at this since the city itself ordered the stadium to be fixed.

This week the Tribune (which also owns the Chicago Tribune) received an "annonymous" tip that the facade at City Hall was fixed a few years ago without a city permit. Citing Freedom of Information Act, they requested a copy of this permit.

To fire back, the city received an "annonymous" tip that another Tribune company property -- WGN-TV -- was fixing a satelitte receiver on it's property without a permit. A city official ordered a work stoppage until the permit was received.

Wow. This is politics and big business at it's best.

For those of you keeping track at home, the Tribune Company owns the following properties in Chicago:

Chicago Tribune
Chicago Cubs
WGN TV
WGN Radio
Old 08-12-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's awesome.
Old 08-13-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

how does this effect my upcoming visit with Mrs. Pusser?
Old 08-13-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You'll need a permit.
Old 08-13-04, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's funny how entitites like the City of Chicago have double standards (I subscribe to the Tribune and have sort of been following this).

I liked John Kass' column today, about the kid who was fined $75 because he picked a quarter off of the ground at a tollbooth to pay the toll sine nobody in the car had change (running the tollbooth would have been a $20 fine). He refused to plead guilty and his father (a lawyer) took it before the judge, the judge threw the case out.
Old 08-13-04, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't forget about the shitty water that fell on the patrons of a recent boat trip. A boat trip in the CITY OF CHICAGO...and some of those people on the boat were CHICAGO CUBS fans! Tell me that's a mere coincidence.
Old 08-13-04, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, not really relevant, but the Mayor is a White Sox fan. His first date with his current wife was a Sox game.

Old 08-13-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc.
Oh, not really relevant, but the Mayor is a White Sox fan. His first date with his current wife was a Sox game.

Excellent.
Old 08-13-04, 10:17 AM

Thought the permit issue was about repairs done to Wrigley in the past three years on the walkways and such. Meaning the Cubs and the Tribune company did not file for permits to make those repairs. Leading Cubs president Andy McPhail to say something to the effect of "we didn't know permits were needed for repairs . . ."

The city called them out on it. The Cubs produced plans of the repairs done. Then the city said "nice pictures, but we need more documentation." Etc. etc.
Old 08-13-04, 10:21 AM

And no one was actually hit by falling concrete. It came close to hitting a few people. But if it did, then there would be some real hell to pay.
Old 08-13-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you saying we should cancel our trip?
Old 08-13-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For Mr. Pusser only. The Mrs is allowed.
Old 08-13-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
Don't forget about the shitty water that fell on the patrons of a recent boat trip. A boat trip in the CITY OF CHICAGO...and some of those people on the boat were CHICAGO CUBS fans! Tell me that's a mere coincidence.
I have heard only little things about this but was what I heard true? The Dave Matthews tour bus dumped there sewage through a bridge that landed on the Architectual river boat tour?

Daley v. Tribune...this should be a lot of fun.
Old 08-13-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc.
For Mr. Pusser only. The Mrs is allowed.
I'm starting to think your intentions are less than honorable.
Old 08-13-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Big Media vs Big Government

It's a clash of the titans! Who will survive?!?
Old 08-13-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Heat

I liked John Kass' column today, about the kid who was fined $75 because he picked a quarter off of the ground at a tollbooth to pay the toll sine nobody in the car had change (running the tollbooth would have been a $20 fine). He refused to plead guilty and his father (a lawyer) took it before the judge, the judge threw the case out.
I read that story too. Poor kid never had a clue he was doing something wrong. The money on the ground should be fair game since the people have to get money into the machine to get through. I'm glad the judge threw it out.
Old 08-13-04, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by datagirl7
I read that story too. Poor kid never had a clue he was doing something wrong. The money on the ground should be fair game since the people have to get money into the machine to get through. I'm glad the judge threw it out.
I don't see how it's wrong in the first place. Money on the ground is free game, I say. If somebody didn't get cash into the hopper, then they ran the tollbooth. Simple.
Old 08-13-04, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Otto
I don't see how it's wrong in the first place. Money on the ground is free game, I say. If somebody didn't get cash into the hopper, then they ran the tollbooth. Simple.
Same thing with parking meters. At least in L.A. if you pull into a spot and the meter still has time remaining, you still have to add coins, if you don't they can give you a citation. Never made much sense to me.