UN extends Iraq mission for a year

Old 08-12-04, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UN extends Iraq mission for a year

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...1514&ncid=1480

Mideast - AFP
UN extends mission in Iraq for one year

3 minutes ago

UNITED NATIONS (AFP) - The UN Security Council voted unanimously to extend the mandate of the United Nations (news - web sites) Assistance Mission for Iraq (news - web sites) by one year.

The mandate for the previous mission, created on August 14, 2003, was due to expire on Friday.

The brief resolution extends the mission for one year, "reaffirming that the United Nations should play a leading role in assisting the Iraqi people and government in the formation of institutions for representative government."

It also reaffirms the "independence, sovereignty, unity and territorial integrity of Iraq."

Currently, the UN mission in Iraq is focused on providing aid and advice to Iraqi authorities who will hold the country's national conference, scheduled to meet August 14.

The conference is aimed at launching the political process ahead of general elections in January 2005.

How is it exactly again Kerry is going to "internationalize" something that is about as international as it's going to get? Those countries who are opposed are not likely to send troops no matter who is President. So if that's the basis you are judging it on I think you are looking in the wrong direction.
Old 08-12-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What UN Iraq mission?
Old 08-12-04, 02:57 PM

They have been helping w/ getting this National Conference meeting set up that's going to happen in another week or so... wait I can see it now the conspiracy theories are going to start that it was delayed to coincide w/ the Rep Convention
Old 08-12-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, because the UN is all about the GOP.
Old 08-12-04, 05:02 PM

I guess internationalization of Iraq doesn't garner much debate anymore...
Old 08-12-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the term "UN mandate" makes it sound so much more than it is that I think we are left speechless, or rolling helplessly on the floor, laughing, or something that precludes posting.