Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Getting wisdom teeth pulled... Comfort me in this time of terror!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-12-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wisdom are coming in bad, they don't pain me at all but x-rays show they are growing in sideways, and they will eventually start pushing my other teeth all out of whack.

I'm going in for my surgury in about 2 hours. I'm terrified. I hate surgery, and in fact I've never had any type of surgery done to me. I hate needles and the idea of poking them in my gums gives me the chills. Plus I have a party I want to go to in 2 days, though from what I understand I SHOULD be fine by then.

Can someone tell me what I'm in for in these next few hours?
Old 08-12-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I dunno. I've been avoiding having my pulled for years. I think oral surgeons are a bit too eager to get them under the knife.

Don't worry about the surgery. You should be completely out. Worry about the pain in recovery.
Old 08-12-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Fear not.

I am the biggest dental wimp in history, and when I had my wisdoms removed a few years ago it was a walk in the park.

I was put out, and woke up a short while later minus four teeth, with prescription for pain killers and very little discomfort at all.

Had it done on a Saturday, and was pretty much back to normal by Sunday night.

If they put you out, it's a no brainer.
Old 08-12-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully some oblivion ... are you just getting novocaine, or are you being knocked out for the big adventure?
Old 08-12-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had mine taken out about 2 months ago. They put me to sleep (definitely the best way to go) and it was a piece of cake. My mouth had some swelling for a few days, which sucked, but it happens. After a week you'll feel 100% better.
Old 08-12-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by marty888
Hopefully some oblivion ... are you just getting novocaine, or are you being knocked out for the big adventure?
I dunno. My sister got hers pulled at the same doctor and he shot her full of novacaine.
Old 08-12-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All mine were impacted and had to be removed like that- I never felt a thing and I thought it was neat to be knocked out. I also slept more than I ever have in my life while I was taking the pain meds. No pain, lots of sleep- it was actually quite nice.
Old 08-12-04, 11:42 AM

Just remember after the surgery to be careful when you eat for a few days. Don't smoke (if you're a smoker), and don't use a straw for several days or you could get dry sockets.
Old 08-12-04, 11:43 AM

Getting a vasectomy was easier than getting my wisdom teeth pulled.

My teeth are horrible, and no amount of dental care would have helped it. Goes with being part British, I guess.
Old 08-12-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by CKMorpheus
I dunno. My sister got hers pulled at the same doctor and he shot her full of novacaine.
If they're calling it surgery and since yours are coming in sideways (so I assume they are impacted/have not broken through your gums) they should knock you out.
Old 08-12-04, 11:47 AM

My GF's wisdom teeth were coming in sideways. Everything went well. She did get dry socket afterwards though. She smoked, so that's what did it. She didn't swell that much and it didn't hurt much either. They gave her some nice drugs too.
Old 08-12-04, 11:52 AM

Several years ago I had braces and had to have my wisdom teeth removed. They were not even coming in yet; my mouth just did have enough room for them to grow in. I was put under for the surgery, but recovery sucked. Sorry. I could eat anything solid for awhile. I was on pain pills for awhile, but I wish you the best of luck.
Old 08-12-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

I had it done and even had a nice dry socket. Not the worst thing in the world. If you get one, you have to go in for about 3-5 days each day and have it repacked. It hurt, but was not awful.

The actual surgery was fine. I was having a good time that evening sucking on straws and stuff.

Actually, I felt just fine. And don't suck on straws.
Old 08-12-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pray for dry socket
Old 08-12-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't smoke, but what is dry socket?
Old 08-12-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they give you novicane, then you will still be able to hear everything going on around you -- the doctor digging in your mouth -- the crunch of the tooth.

Everything.

But don't worry, it will be fast -- my 'surgery' took all of 15 minutes tops. The tooth extraction took all of 34 seconds tops.
Old 08-12-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by CKMorpheus
I don't smoke, but what is dry socket?
Blood does not fill the hole properly, and as a result you have a hole that goes all the way down to the jaw bone that is exposed.

normally, blood will pool there and heal the area. Thus, don't making any sucky sucky.
Old 08-12-04, 12:15 PM

I hate dental work. But getting my wisdon teeth pulled was a breeze (hurt much less than those suckers being impacted, that hurt!). I'm never put asleep before dental work and it's fine. You do hear the crunching and stuff but the surgery is quick and since you'll be numb it won't bother you.

Before they give you the shot in the mouth they usually but a numbing gel on the area so the shot isn't as painful. And you could ask for a little laughing gas, you'd be awake but could careless about what's happening.

Finally, follow the instructions given (about the straws and no smoking and stuff) take your meds (Motrin 800 or Vicotin) and you'll be just fine by the weekend.
Old 08-12-04, 12:16 PM

Never consume dairy products after you come out of anestetic.
Old 08-12-04, 12:20 PM

Old 08-12-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by satellite
Never consume dairy products after you come out of anestetic.
I was planning on getting ices afterwards, so why not?
Old 08-12-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Everything is gonna be fine.

Although it took me a lot longer than a day and a half to get over the surgery. The Loritab's were good though.
Old 08-12-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I had to get all 4 pulled at once again I would ask to be put under. 10 minutes after the extractions I almost passed out in the waiting/snack room - it was the weirdness, numbness, echoes of the crunching sounds that did it for me. Thankfully it was a one shot deal and no dry socks

-Gunshy
Old 08-12-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Time to get butchered... I'll come back afterwards and let you all know the dilly yo.
Old 08-12-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.