Reload this Page >

Michael Moore releases interview with Porter Goss..."I'm not qualified"

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-12-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Congressman Porter Goss, President Bush's nominee for CIA director, could be his own worst enemy when it comes to making the case that he deserves to lead the U.S. intelligence agency.

"I couldn't get a job with CIA today. I am not qualified," the Florida Republican told documentary-maker Michael Moore's production company during the filming of the anti-Bush movie "Fahrenheit 9/11."

A day after Bush picked Goss for the top U.S. spy job, Moore Wednesday released an excerpt from a March 3 interview in which the 65-year-old former House of Representatives intelligence chief recounts his lack of qualifications for employment as a modern CIA staffer.

"I don't have the language skills. I, you know, my language skills were romance languages and stuff. We're looking for Arabists today. I don't have the cultural background probably," Goss is quoted in an interview transcript.

"And I certainly don't have the technical skills, uh, as my children remind me every day: 'Dad you got to get better on your computer.' Uh, so, the things that you need to have, I don't have."

Goss, who served with the CIA clandestine services in Latin America and Europe in the 1960s, was not immediately available for comment.

The White House dismissed the Moore interview transcript as "ridiculous hearsay" and emphasized the depth of bipartisan respect for Goss on Capitol Hill.

"Porter Goss has very strong support from Republicans, and Democrats including Sen. Bob Graham (news, bio, voting record) of Florida," said White House spokesman Trent Duffy. Graham is the former head of Senate intelligence.

"No one's really questioning his qualifications. Even people who say he's too political for the job say he has qualifications for the job," Duffy added.

Goss appears in Moore's film, the most financially successful documentary in history, during a segment devoted to the USA Patriot Act, an anti-terrorism measure.

Moore told Reuters that Goss, who until Tuesday was chairman of the House of Representatives Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, granted an interview to two of his producers without first checking to see who they worked for.

"You'd think the person who was the head of the intelligence committee would ask a few more questions," said Moore.

"The reality is that Porter Goss was in charge of the oversight of the CIA during a time when the CIA didn't do its job, which in part resulted in the loss of lives of 3,000 people," he said via telephone from New York.

Goss is expected to appear at confirmation hearings before the Senate intelligence committee next month.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let the Moore bashing begin...
Old 08-12-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Michael Moore is fat.
Old 08-12-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, that's not funny. You're gonna get it!
Old 08-12-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, so he can't hack mainframes and he can't speak in islamic dialects. Does that really mean he's not qualified for information dissemination? That's a bit of a stretch.
Old 08-12-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Many CEOs lack the computer skills or other highly specialized skills that their companies look for in entry level positions, yet they lead their companies well, which is what they are paid to do (Admittedly, a few, like Ken Lay, lead their companies poorly)

This seems analogous, which makes Moore's point pointless, as usual. {Edittedfor forum harmony}

Last edited by OldDude; 08-12-04 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-12-04, 09:03 AM

Re: Michael Moore releases interview with Porter Goss..."I'm not qualified"

Originally posted by chess

Let the Moore bashing begin...

Absolutely no bashing at all, none is necessary. It is a silly, baseless, and wholly irrelevant point. Mr. Goss was talking very specifically about getting a job as a field agent. That inability has no bearing whatsoever on his ability to be the DCI. Most, if not all, of the successful DCIs of recent times could have had said the same. Meaningless.

This type of stuff is precisely why Moore can not be taken seriously, and this comes from somebody who never bashes him, mostly because I don't care and realise that he has no affect on anything.

Last edited by Pharoh; 08-12-04 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-12-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

OldDude

Many CEOs lack the computer skills or other highly specialized skills that their companies look for in entry level positions, yet they lead their companies well, which is what they are paid to do (Admittedly, a few, like Ken Lay, lead their companies poorly)

This seems analogous, which makes Moore's point pointless, as usual.
This was pretty much what I was thinking while reading the article. I've never worked for someone who fully understood, or could even begin to accomplish, what I do on a daily basis. That's not his job. The President of my company wouldn't survive half a day in my job ... he's not qualified. However, I wouldn't survive an hour in his. Yet we both perform our jobs pretty damn well.

I see nothing of substance with Moore's complaint.

das
Old 08-12-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Absolutely no bashing at all, none is necessary. It is a silly, baseless, and wholly irrelevant point. Mr. Goss was talking very specifically about getting a job as a field agent. That inability has now bearing whatsoever on his ability to be the DCI. Most, if not all, of the successful DCIs of recent times could have had said the same. Meaningless.
Absolutely!!

I would have expected a little better from the author of the thread (not necessarily from Moore). He knows fully well what was the intent of Goss' statements at the time. He clearly was talking about the position of an agent - not the CIA director.
Old 08-12-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Michael Moore releases interview with Porter Goss..."I'm not qualified"

Originally posted by chess
The White House dismissed the Moore interview transcript as "ridiculous hearsay"
Old 08-12-04, 09:17 AM

Actually I'd be more inclined to give him the job now quite frankly. As some have pointed out what Goss was talking about seems to be more of the field agent level, not running the store. The interview shows Goss knows his own limitations and doesn't think he can do everything himself (which is unusual in politics these days). It's about the level of "analysis" I've come to expect from Moore but frankly I think this could work for Goss not against him.

Unfortunately the response from the WH is about what I've come to expect from them too

Last edited by nemein; 08-12-04 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-12-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

someone needs to shut michael up because now he is becoming a political ass....... f him.......
Old 08-12-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk God

The following clearly shows that Porter Goos is not qualified to CIA Director:

WASHINGTON Rep. Porter Goss, tapped by President Bush on Tuesday to become the next director of the Central Intelligence Agency, is one of Congress' millionaires, with a wide array of holdings in stocks and real estate.

Goss, R-Fla., reported assets worth between $6 million and $24 million last year, according to a personal financial disclosure form he filed with the House in June. The required annual report calls for the value of holdings to be described in broad ranges, not precise amounts.

Of the 44 holdings he reported owning individually or jointly, his biggest included $1 million to $5 million worth of shares each in IBM Corp., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and General Electric Co.

Goss also listed joint ownership of Retreat Farm Produce LLC, a farm in Rapidan, Va., worth $1 million to $5 million. He reported undeveloped real estate on Fishers Island, N.Y., valued at $500,000 to $1 million.

Besides those holdings, 134 others worth millions more were listed in the name of his wife, Mariel.

The value of Goss' property far exceeds the $154,700 he is earning this year as a lawmaker. Goss, a 16-year House veteran, planned to retire from Congress in January.

The CIA director's salary is $158,100.

________

Well it has about as much relevance to his qualifications to be director as does the nonsensical crap that comes from Michael Moore.
Old 08-12-04, 09:58 AM

Is there anyone in congress who is not a millionaire these days? Or is the corp "ties" you are complaining about?
Old 08-12-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you missed this part of C-man's post:
Well it has about as much relevance to his qualifications to be director as does the nonsensical crap that comes from Michael Moore.
But I wonder if Gross is from old money? A quick read of his bio shows mostly CIA/intel and public service work.
Old 08-12-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Michael Moore must be some sort of treasonous snake to accuse Goss of ... well, actually, Goss is the one who made the statements in question. But still. How dare Moore release a transcript of Goss's own words.
Old 08-12-04, 10:20 AM

But still. How dare Moore release a transcript of Goss's own words.
I think the "outcry" seems to be more of MM's typical misrepresentation of the facts. JMO Don't you agree Goss seems to be talking about what is needed as a field agent these days? Don't you see the qualifications for a field agent and the director are significantly different?
Old 08-12-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by JasonF
Michael Moore must be some sort of treasonous snake to accuse Goss of ... well, actually, Goss is the one who made the statements in question. But still. How dare Moore release a transcript of Goss's own words.
What do you expect from a fat, ugly propagandist?

Old 08-12-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by nemein
I think the "outcry" seems to be more of MM's typical misrepresentation of the facts. JMO Don't you agree Goss seems to be talking about what is needed as a field agent these days? Don't you see the qualifications for a field agent and the director are significantly different?
Give it a break.
Old 08-12-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by CRM114
What do you expect from a fat, ugly propagandist?

And stupid, don't forget stupid. Let the record show I attacked him intellectually first, then pointed out he is fat and ugly.
Old 08-12-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A direct (hypothetical) analogy...

Michael Moore says "I could never work in a film processing lab. I don't have the technical skills, and I don't understand the equipment."

Conclusion: Michael Moore is not qualified to make movies.
Old 08-12-04, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by CRM114
Give it a break.
Old 08-12-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by JasonF
I know you're not naive enough not to know what Moore's intent was.

Please!!!!

I don't know - maybe you agree that because Goss would not be qualified as a field operative makes him not qualified as Director??

Which is it?
Old 08-12-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by classicman2
Silly Goos.
Old 08-12-04, 10:31 AM

Come on, you guys. Haven't you seen Enemy of the State? Goss should have plenty of young men around that can hack into computers and manipulate satellites for him. He just needs to snap his fingers....done!
Old 08-12-04, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by wmansir
I think you missed this part of C-man's post:
DOH! You're right I did, the ________ made it look like his signature so I ignored You'd think after all these years C-man would learn how to use the "quote" feature

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.