Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Ack! I just took a large chunk out of my tooth! (With Fine Artwork)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-11-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So, last year while mountain climbing I triped and smacked my face on a rock which took a small chip out of my tooth (and loosened it some). Probably not a good thing, but I did not go to see a dentist after this and it never really bothered me save for when something really cold touched it. Today I was raising a mug of coffee up to my mouth and, doh, looked up at the tv and caught my tooth...huge chunk fell off my tooth later on in the night.

Kind of looks like this:

Anyone here ever have such a large chip out of their tooth and, if so, does the whole thing half to come out or is there another process?
Old 08-11-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take the lump sum
Old 08-11-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

on the artwork.

I think they can cap it depending on how much came off.
Old 08-11-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say 35% of the tooth came off.
Old 08-11-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the plus side, however, I have perfected my trailor park hillbilly costume for Halloween.
Old 08-11-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

dude - that sucks. :/ I had a tiny chip break off once when I was trying to bend some metal with my teeth... it was a sliver off the front of the tooth and you can't really see it (but I can feel it with my tongue)... even that makes me uncomfortable.
Old 08-11-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
dude - that sucks. :/ I had a tiny chip break off once when I was trying to bend some metal with my teeth... it was a sliver off the front of the tooth and you can't really see it (but I can feel it with my tongue)... even that makes me uncomfortable.
I don't feel so bad having chiped it while drinking coffee and watching TV now. Thanks Trigger.

Oh, and this IS noticable...thankfully it is on a tooth farther back in the mouth and not at the forefront.
Old 08-11-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Half of one of my molars broke off about two months ago. Feels perfectly fine other than the strange holw that I can feel with my tongue. I'm avoiding my dentist because he's been pushing me to extract all four of my wisdom teeth.
Old 08-11-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ViewAskewbian
On the plus side, however, I have perfected my trailor park hillbilly costume for Halloween.
I have never been as turned on as I am right now

errr...sorry about your tooth
Old 08-11-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MonkeyG
Half of one of my molars broke off about two months ago. Feels perfectly fine other than the strange holw that I can feel with my tongue. I'm avoiding my dentist because he's been pushing me to extract all four of my wisdom teeth.
Yeah, very similar here. It is a molar and feels fine (except when I downed a cold glass of water...youch!) yet just strange to feel the space there.

Hotaru: Just call me Cletus!
Old 08-11-04, 11:49 PM

Just think of it as an extra place to store food. The chipmunks will be envious.
Old 08-11-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MonkeyG
Just think of it as an extra place to store food. The chipmunks will be envious.
That reminds me of a line from Red Dwarf where Rimmer asks Lister why he is so proud that he can store 4 course meals in the holes in his teeth.
Old 08-12-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought you meant that you chipped your tooth with fine artwork.
Old 08-12-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I chipped my front upper left tooth once after snowboarding. Hurt like a bitch, but the dentist helped to file it down a little to reduce the jaggedness.
Old 08-12-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
I thought you meant that you chipped your tooth with fine artwork.
Well I do so enjoy nibbling on a Monet every now and then.
Old 08-12-04, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-12-04, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

here's a vote for goin' to the dentist. I mean us Otters are a great community but I don't think that too many of us have dental experience.
Old 08-12-04, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't feel so bad having chiped it while drinking coffee and watching TV now. Thanks Trigger.

Oh, and this IS noticable...thankfully it is on a tooth farther back in the mouth and not at the forefront.
Well, I have unusually strong teeth... I can bite fresh jawbreakers like they are gumballs. Must've been all that milk. I was surprised my tooth chipped and was self-conscious about it for quite awhile. It's a good thing it wasn't your front tooth.

As for the dentist - I haven't been to a dentist in like 17 years or so... I haven't had any cavities or anything either. *knock wood* I heard of this dude who found a small rock in his driveway and shaped it into a tooth-shape and polished it up and made his own crown out of it or whatever. He saved a fortune. Dentist-schmentist
Old 08-12-04, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

...thankfully it is on a tooth farther back in the mouth and not at the forefront.

Oh. Nothing to get too worried about then.
Old 08-12-04, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
A cannuck with a chipped tooth? Hey, atleast you can pick up women saying you are a hockey player.
Old 08-12-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Ack! I just took a large chunk out of my tooth! (With Fine Artwork)

Anyone here ever have such a large chip out of their tooth and, if so, does the whole thing half to come out or is there another process?
Yes, I had most of a tooth just fall off one day. Dentist said it probably had a stress crack for years and just gave way. (He also said tooth next to it has a stress crack and to be careful).

I had to have a root canal first, then he made a crown for it, installed on top of the remaining tooth. The tooth does not need to come out.
Old 08-12-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I broke part of one of my front teeth off when I hit the back of my head on some ice (sledding accident). I had it replaced. Then stupidly broke it off bending metal. It had it replaced and it broke off again for no apparent reason. I now just have a chipped tooth.

Lesson: don't bend things with your teeth.

And I broke my top front tooth eating a salad. That has stayed on, thankfully.

Lesson: dont' eat salad. ???

Last edited by datagirl7; 08-12-04 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-12-04, 10:32 AM

In grade school, a kid grabbed me from behind and wrapped his arms across my chest while my arms were down by my side. He then proceeded to trip and I landed teeth first on the sidewalk. I only had my front tooth chip a little bit less than you are describing. The dentist just filled it in with white material, which lasted 15 years. Only problem was that the material they used was strong but became slightly discolored over time. A dentist replaced it about 5 years ago and you can't even tell that there was any work done. Doesn't ever hurt and looks normal. Unless you care nothing about your looks and it doesn't hurt, I would say go to the dentist for a fairly simple fix to your problem.
Old 08-12-04, 12:06 PM

One of my bottom molars cracked almost 2 years ago now. It sort of resembles Mt. St. Helens in the way the entire side just disappeared. Not sure if I swallowed it or what, but anyway, being a smeghead, I've neglected to get anything done about it. It's not causing me pain but it doesn't look too pretty.
Old 08-12-04, 12:47 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by datagirl7
I broke part of one of my front teeth off when I hit the back of my head on some ice (sledding accident). I had it replaced. Then stupidly broke it off bending metal. It had it replaced and it broke off again for no apparent reason. I now just have a chipped tooth.

Lesson: don't bend things with your teeth.

And I broke my top front tooth eating a salad. That has stayed on, thankfully.

Lesson: dont' eat salad. ???
You tried to bend metal with your teeth? Surely Im missing something?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.