Reload this Page >

Mike Wallace "manhandled" by NYC Taxi & Limousine inspectors

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Mike Wallace "manhandled" by NYC Taxi & Limousine inspectors

Old 08-11-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike Wallace "manhandled"

Veteran 60 Minutes correspondent Mike Wallace was handcuffed and driven to a police station Tuesday night after arguing with city inspectors over where his driver had parked.

The dispute began at about 8:30 p.m., as Wallace was leaving a Manhattan restaurant, WCBS-TV reported. Wallace, 86, saw two inspectors interviewing his driver, who they said was double-parked.

The Taxi and Limousine Commission said Wallace became "overly assertive and disrespectful" and interfered with the inspectors, according to WCBS.

At one point, Wallace lunged at one of the inspectors, according to the commission. The other inspector then handcuffed Wallace and drove him to a police station, where he was issued a summons for disorderly conduct. He was later released.

Luigi Militello, the restaurant manager, told WCBS that the inspectors "manhandled" Wallace during the dispute.

CBS said in a statement Tuesday that Wallace was at home and that more information would be released if it became available.

Richard Leibner, a spokesman for Wallace, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
Link

I'm guessing Wallace had a few too many.

Last edited by Chew; 08-11-04 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-11-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

According to news reports, it was Taxi & Limousine inspectors who slammed the 86 year old man against his car, not the NYPD. According to eye witnesses interviewed on local television, those inspectors over-reacted. Uh, did they really feel physically threatened by an octagenarian?
Old 08-11-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by marty888
According to news reports, it was Taxi & Limousine inspectors who slammed the 86 year old man against his car, not the NYPD.
Yup, my bad. It shouldn't read the NYPD and the article doesn't even say that. Could a mod correct the thread title?
Old 08-11-04, 08:56 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another misleading thread title from Chew.

This whole story should make an interesting 60 Minutes segment.
Old 08-11-04, 09:08 AM

Instead of lunging at the inspectors, he should have led them in a chorous of Edelweiss.
Old 08-11-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Another effort by the Mayor's office to make New York look bright clean & youthful for the Republican Convention.
Old 08-11-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mike Wallace is that old? Had no idea.
Old 08-11-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Red Dog
Mike Wallace is that old? Had no idea.
I knew he was ancient.

Hell, his excuse was: "I'm too old to cover Vietnam."
Old 08-12-04, 09:44 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by classicman2
I knew he was ancient.

Hell, his excuse was: "I'm too old to cover Vietnam."
It's not nice to make fun of old people
Old 08-12-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In another account I read two witnesses were highly critical of the inspectors treatment of Wallace and said he did nothing to provoke them. So it looks like the inspectors overreacted, or perhaps the witnesses weren't neutral.

The article also mentioned that the inspectors didn't recognize Wallace and treated him just as do every citizen, which could be a positive or negative depending on how the facts play out.
Old 08-12-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by wmansir

The article also mentioned that the inspectors didn't recognize Wallace and treated him just as do every citizen, which could be a positive or negative depending on how the facts play out.
That's a positive. Just because you are famous, you don't deserve special treatment.
Old 08-27-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Update:

Mike Wallace Won't Face Charges in NYC
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: August 27, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- The city's Taxi and Limousine Commission said it would not pursue a disorderly conduct charge against 86-year-old CBS newsman Mike Wallace, who was arrested earlier this month during a confrontation with inspectors outside a Manhattan restaurant.

The ``60 Minutes'' correspondent was handcuffed and taken to a police precinct on Aug. 10 after he and his driver clashed with inspectors while Wallace picked up a takeout order at a restaurant. He was issued a summons and released.

Wallace said he left the restaurant to find two inspectors interviewing his driver, who they said was double-parked. He said he asked the inspectors what was going on and they told him to get back in the car. They arrested him after he pressed them further, he said.

Allan Fromberg, a spokesman for the TLC, said an investigation had determined that the inspector who had handcuffed Wallace had not yet received his special patrolman status, which authorizes inspectors to use handcuffs and write summonses.

Both inspectors were placed on desk duty, would be issued warnings and would be required to undergo retraining in conflict resolution, Fromberg said.

Wallace said the agency's commissioner, Matthew Daus, had personally called him to tell him the results of the investigation.

``I'm grateful for Commissioner Daus, for a thorough investigation and the decision at which they arrived,'' Wallace said.

..and the lead paragraph from another article:

Mike Wallace Gets an Apology for an Arrest Called Overzealous
By MICHAEL LUO

Taxi and Limousine Commission officials said yesterday that their agents had acted "somewhat overzealously'' in arresting Mike Wallace earlier this month and that the disorderly conduct charge against him would be dropped.

Last edited by marty888; 08-27-04 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-27-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

reminds me of the part in the insider. "i've been in this industry fifty fucking years!"