DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The view of al Qaeda is 'anybody but Bush.'_"

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...3531-3824r.htm

Bin Laden hints major assassination
By Bill Gertz
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published August 11, 2004

U.S. intelligence officials say a high-profile political assassination, triggered by the public release of a new message from Osama bin Laden, will lead off the next major al Qaeda terrorist attack, The Washington Times has learned.

The assassination plan is among new details of al Qaeda plots disclosed by U.S. officials familiar with intelligence reports who, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the killing could be carried out against a U.S. or foreign leader either in the United States or abroad.

The officials mentioned Saudi Arabia and Yemen, two nations that are working with the United States in the battle against al Qaeda, as likely locales for the opening assassination.

The planning for the attacks to follow involves "multiple targets in multiple venues" across the United States, one official said.

The new details of al Qaeda's plans were found on a laptop computer belonging to arrested al Qaeda operative Muhammad Naeem Noor Khan of Pakistan.

"We're talking about planning at the screwdriver level," one official said. "It is very detailed."

Khan was arrested July 13 in Lahore, Pakistan, along with Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, a Tanzanian who was indicted in the 1998 U.S. Embassy bombings in Africa and was on the FBI's list of most-wanted terrorists.

U.S. and allied counterterrorism officials are pursuing leads on other terrorists based on the data from Khan's seized laptop. At least one arrest in Britain has been made so far, and others are expected, the officials said.

Additionally, U.S. intelligence officials said they think that several al Qaeda terrorists already in the United States are part of the plot, although their identities and locations are not known.

The targets, in addition to the financial institutions in New York, Washington and Newark, N.J., that have been the subject of public warnings, include such economic-related targets as oil and gas facilities with a view toward disrupting the November election.

"The goal of the next attack is twofold: to damage the U.S. economy and to undermine the U.S. election," the official said. "The view of al Qaeda is 'anybody but Bush.'_"

The officials also said the terrorist group has begun using female members for preattack surveillance and possibly as suicide bombers, thinking that women will have an easier time getting past security checkpoints at airports, borders and ports.

The al Qaeda attack plans call for bombings using trucks and cars, and hijacked aircraft, including commercial airliners and helicopters.

"There is a particular concern that chemical trucks will be used," one official said.

Regarding the new bin Laden message, the officials said there are intelligence reports, some of them sketchy, that a new tape from the al Qaeda leader will surface soon.

In the past, video and audio messages by bin Laden or his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, were broadcast days or weeks before an attack, the officials said.

"The message likely will be the signal for the attack to be launched," one official said.

A second U.S. official said one intelligence agency was aware of unconfirmed reports of a new bin Laden tape.

"There may be such a tape, but it hasn't surfaced and we haven't seen it," this official said.

Bin Laden last released a taped message in April. The CIA said that the audiotape probably was the voice of bin Laden and that the mention of the March 11 Madrid train bombings shows that the tape was current.

That tape offered a "truce" for any European state that pledged to stop attacking Muslims and end cooperation with the United States.

Contrary to what some Democratic critics of the Bush administration have said, intelligence officials said the new details of al Qaeda planning were obtained from the Khan laptop. The terrorist group was in the process of updating older attack plans, the officials said.

On Aug. 2, the Bush administration raised the terrorism threat level from "elevated" to "high" for five finance-related sites in the District, New York and New Jersey, based on the intelligence in Khan's computer, as well as other intelligence.

Frances Townsend, a White House homeland-security adviser, said Sunday that the government has received a steady "stream" of intelligence indicating that an al Qaeda attack is planned.

"What we know now that we didn't know six months ago is that they've done a good deal of planning and surveillance work to accomplish that goal," she said on CBS' "Face the Nation."
Old 08-11-04, 03:35 AM

Headline Shocker: Conservative Rag Puts Anti-Bush Camp and Al Qaeda in Same Boat. Real classy.
Old 08-11-04, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Add to that this is most funny article I have ever read.

A second U.S. official said one intelligence agency was aware of unconfirmed reports of a new bin Laden tape.

Can you get any more vague than this? Uhmmm, NOPE!
Old 08-11-04, 04:00 AM

People who post "news" from the Washington Times should have their credibility pass revoked.
Old 08-11-04, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Grimfarrow
People who post "news" from the Washington Times should have their credibility pass revoked.

riiiiigggghhhtttt......
Old 08-11-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.johnkerryisaninfidelbutim...rhimanyway.com ?
Old 08-11-04, 08:56 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
When you ride with John Kerry, you ride with Bin Laden. Booga Booga!

This is good stuff. Remember Americans, vote for whoever Bin Laden doesn't want, because they're trying to influence the election. Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.
Old 08-11-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well that makes no sense. I thought they hated us because of Bush. Yet they want him out?
Old 08-11-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, gosh darn, I'm changing my vote then. That is - if I actually had candidate worth backing in the first place.

Last edited by Red Dog; 08-11-04 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-11-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know, the worst part is some people will believe this and base their vote on it.

Al Qaeda is a terrorist organization people, not the League of Women Voters. They don't want either candidate to win, they don't want Democratic elections at all. To think that they "support" a presidental candidate, is to run counter to the organization's ethos.

It is this sort of shameless spinning that makes me sick of Republicans and Bush supporters. There is a clear bias here people!
Old 08-11-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Brain Stew
You know, the worst part is some people will believe this and base their vote on it.

It is this sort of shameless spinning that makes me sick of Republicans and Bush supporters. There is a clear bias here people!
Is Michael Moore's spinning OK??
Old 08-11-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Chew
Michael Moore doesn't claim to be a news source .
Old 08-11-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

oh shit! then I guess I'd better vote for Bush!
Old 08-11-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chew

Of course it is.
Old 08-11-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Michael Moore doesn't claim to be a news source .
No, but CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC claim to be.
Old 08-11-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Struz
No, but CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC claim to be.
When have they spinned this election?
Old 08-11-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Al Qaeda is a terrorist organization people, not the League of Women Voters. They don't want either candidate to win, they don't want Democratic elections at all.
Let's see:

Bush has hunted down and killed msot of their members and has vowed to never stop.

Kerry voted to gut the military and intelligence department and thinks the US should go to the UN for approval every time the US is threatened.

I can't see why Al Qaeda would favor one or the other either.
Old 08-11-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Does Kerry support going to the UN for situations like the invasion of Afghanistan?

I've said it once and I'll say it again. In the grand scheme of interventionism and national defense, no friggin difference, folks.
Old 08-11-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Struz
Let's see:

Bush has hunted down and killed msot of their members and has vowed to never stop.

Kerry voted to gut the military and intelligence department and thinks the US should go to the UN for approval every time the US is threatened.

I can't see why Al Qaeda would favor one of the other either.
My god, this is the most myopic stance someone can take.

This is a low-grade terrorist organization, not KAOS from Get Smart. They don't sit around saying, "I should wonder? Who should we get elected this November in America?" No. They live in friggin caves, and attack by crashing things or blowing up cars.

They want the American system gone. Not one guy over another. This is more fear-mongering.

And even if they do want Kerry elected, so friggin what? Just because he's elected does that mean that mean that instantly this country will be attacked. They are pretty similar on defense. Where they differ is non-essential offense (read: Iraq).

Last edited by Brain Stew; 08-11-04 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-11-04, 10:12 AM

My god, this is the most myopic stance someone can take.

This is a low-grade terrorist organization, not KAOS from Get Smart. They don't sit around saying, "I should wonder? Who should we get elected this November in America?" No. They live in friggin caves, and attack by crashing things or blowing up cars.

They want the American system gone. Not one guy over another. This is more fear-mongering.

Actually that isn't what they want, nor how they operate and live, but whatever.

Regardless, I don't think they care all that much, maybe just a little.
Old 08-11-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk God

When have they spinned this election?

Please!!!!!!!

They're constantly spinning the election - take the polls for instance.

Fox spins it one way.

NBC spins it another way.
Old 08-11-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Pharoh
Actually that isn't what they want, nor how they operate and live, but whatever.

Regardless, I don't think they care all that much, maybe just a little.
You are offer up criticism freely, but hide answers. Please explain to me what they want, or how how they operate or how they live or "whatever".
Old 08-11-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by classicman2

Please!!!!!!!

They're constantly spinning the election - take the polls for instance.

Fox spins it one way.

NBC spins it another way.
I was under the impression that it was a dead heat between the two candidates.
Old 08-11-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

And even if they do want Kerry elected, so friggin what? Just because he's elected does that mean that mean that instantly this country will be attacked. They are pretty similar on defense. Where they differ is non-essential offense (read: Iraq).

Come on. Get real. You know very well that should Kerry become Prez, the borders will be opened, the military budget will be greatly reduced, and we will have to get a permission slip from France to go to war.
Old 08-11-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well the AP is reporting a similar article, although it does say the Times article is a bit overbroad
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...istan_osama_dc

SLAMABAD (Reuters) - Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) has called for attacks on targets in the United States and Britain, Pakistani intelligence sources said on Wednesday, but it was not clear if his appeal was accompanied by more detailed orders.

The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the subject, played down a report on Wednesday in the Washington Times that a tape from bin Laden may surface soon that would act as a signal for planned attacks to be launched.

The newspaper, citing U.S. intelligence officials, said al Qaeda would target an American or foreign leader either within the United States or abroad.

Pakistani intelligence agencies have been questioning key al Qaeda figures captured in the last month in a crackdown that has yielded a wealth of information about the network's personnel and plots to strike targets inside the country and abroad.

They include Tanzanian Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, wanted for the attacks on U.S. embassies in east Africa in 1998, Qari Saifullah Akhtar, a key al Qaeda operational chief in Pakistan, and computer engineer Mohammad Naeem Noor Khan.

"Osama has given the go ahead to target important places and personalities in the U.S., U.K. and Pakistan," one Pakistani intelligence source said.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.