Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What does a background check provide to an employer?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-11-04, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay....I'm going in for a job interview. They said that they will be doing a background check, so I should be sure to include all work experience on my resume if it isn't already on there...

About 3 years ago I had a job that I worked at for 3 months, and things didn't work out. The boss was a bitch, she didn't like me, and she told me that I 'wasnt working out'....It was still in my evaluation period, so I wasn't fired, I was just 'let go' (heh).....HOWEVER, I don't want this lady as a reference! She'll give me a bad one....

My question is...what kind of info shows up on a background check? Do all your previous employers show up? What other kind of info? I'm sure arrests, but I've never had that happen so it doesn't matter.
Old 08-11-04, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Depends on what type of background check it is. Usually employers will call your references (either professional, personal, and/or academic) but you provide those. So your question about that 'bitch' she'll probably not be called for your reference since you didn't provide it. HOWEVER, she may be contacted as a previous employer if your resume states that you worked at this particular company or if the backgorund check they run provides all previous employers on file.

They do criminal background checks to ensure you don't have felonys, you're not a rapist, etc...

They'd probably do a credit check as well...
Old 08-11-04, 06:21 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by MitzEclipse
HOWEVER, she may be contacted as a previous employer if your resume states that you worked at this particular company or if the backgorund check they run provides all previous employers on file.
Most of the time, it's to verify employment only. If she acts as a bad reference, she is opening herself to legal action. I have heard this from a number of HR-drones at my last two jobs.
Old 08-11-04, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by MitzEclipse

They'd probably do a credit check as well...
I've actually turned jobs down because I refused to submit to a credit check. It's none of their damn business what my credit is like.

If you've got good credit, so what. I've known some real a**holes that have perfect credit.
If you've got bad credit, most likely due to not having money, the reason you're applying for a job in the first place!
Old 08-11-04, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The employer can legally recommend or not recommend the employee. But they cannot go into specifics. Generally, most employers give a great recommendation because they don't want the employee to ever come back.
Old 08-11-04, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
The employer can legally recommend or not recommend the employee. But they cannot go into specifics. Generally, most employers give a great recommendation because they don't want the employee to ever come back.
Sure they can go into specifics. There's no legal prohibition against it. The reason they don't is because if they say something that is incorrect due to record-keeping error or whatever, they are now open to liability for damages should you not get to position for that reason.
Old 08-11-04, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A background check is usually performed by a third party company to check for criminal history and sometimes credit background. As someone who works in HR, the reasons are simple:

1. Once a crook...
2. People with really bad credit tend to be "all talk and no action". Lots of promises, but they never deliver.