Iran to Europe - Hand over nuke technology

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-11-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...11/wiran11.xml

Iran has issued an extraordinary list of demands to Britain and other European countries, telling them to provide advanced nuclear technology, conventional weapons and a security guarantee against nuclear attack by Israel.

Teheran's request, said by British officials to have "gone down very badly", sharply raises the stakes in the crisis over Iran's nuclear programme, which Britain and America believe is aimed at making an atomic bomb.

Iran's move came during crisis talks in Paris this month with senior diplomats from Britain, France and Germany.

The "EU-3" were trying to convince Iranian officials to honour an earlier deal to suspend its controversial uranium enrichment programme, which is ostensibly designed to make fuel for nuclear power stations but could also be used to make fissile material for nuclear bombs. Iranian officials refused point-blank to comply, saying they had every right under international law to pursue "peaceful" nuclear technology.

They then stunned the Europeans by presenting a letter setting out their own demands.

Iran said the EU-3 should support Iran's quest for "advanced (nuclear) technology, including those with dual use" - a reference to equipment that has both civilian and military applications.

The Europeans should "remove impediments" preventing Iran from having such technology, and stick to these commitments even if faced with "legal (or) political . . . limitations", an allusion to American pressure or even future international sanctions against Iran.

More astonishingly, Iran said the EU-3 should agree to meet Iran's requirements for conventional weapons and even "provide security assurances" against a nuclear attack on Iran.

This is a reference to Israel's nuclear arsenal, believed to include some 200 warheads and long-range missiles to deliver them.

The EU-3 are still debating over how to respond, but British officials said the Iranian letter was "extremely surprising, given the delicate state of process". Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary, will have to decide whether to adopt a more confrontational policy.

America is demanding that the board of governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), which meets next month, refer Iran to the UN Security Council for possible sanctions. US officials are also openly discussing "covert" means of disrupting the Iranian nuclear programme, while Israel has openly threatened military action.

However, there were signs yesterday that the next report of Mohammed ElBaradei, the IAEA director general, may give Iran a boost.

A key mystery for the past year has been the source of traces of highly-enriched uranium (HEU) found by IAEA inspectors at several sites in Iran. Teheran claimed this was "contamination" of equipment imported from other countries, rather than proof that it had secretly made HEU.

According to diplomats, inspectors have confirmed that in at least one case the contamination did come from Pakistan, as Iran claimed.

Other contamination issues remain unresolved, and may never be settled. Moreover there are several other open questions.

I will have to admit though, that I am pretty stunned by Iran's confidence and arrogance that it is at such an advanced stage where it can keep the cake and eat it too.

But I guess this is what happens when you keep talking and talking and talking without any real action. Iran knows the EU wouldn't to a damn thing other than talk.
Old 08-11-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, hopefully they'll talk and say "Uhh, no."
Old 08-11-04, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Should be interesting to see how Europe handles this.
Old 08-11-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every day I demand that Bill Gates gives me 100 million dollars.
Old 08-11-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Iran is feeling a little left out because of this Iraq thing. Poor guys. I really do feel sorry for them.
Old 08-11-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My answer would be, "How many megatons would you like?"
Old 08-11-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"US officials are also openly discussing "covert" means of disrupting the Iranian nuclear programme, while Israel has openly threatened military action."

Old 08-12-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...eut/index.html

TEHRAN, Iran (Reuters) -- Iran says it has carried out a successful field test of the latest version of its Shahab-3 medium-range ballistic missile, which defense experts say can reach Israel or U.S. bases in the Gulf.

Defence Minister Ali Shamkhani said last week Iran was working to improve the range and accuracy of the Shahab-3 in response to Israel's moves to boost its anti-missile capability.

The Defence Ministry, in a brief statement carried on the official news agency IRNA, said the test of the new Shahab-3 "was carried out successfully ... The pre-determined targets were hit in the testing," it said.

Iran says its missile program is purely for deterrent purposes.

Tehran also denies U.S. and Israeli accusations that it is seeking to develop nuclear warheads which could be delivered by the Shahab-3.

In Washington, the State Department said Iran's attempts to improve its missile capability were a threat to the region and U.S. interests.

"We will continue to take steps to address Iran's missile efforts, and to work closely with other like-minded countries in doing so," State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said.

Based on the North Korean Nodong-1 and modified with Russian technology, the Shahab-3 is thought to have a range of 810 miles (1,300 km), which would allow it to strike anywhere in Israel.

Shahab means meteor in Persian.

Amid media speculation that Israel may try to halt Iran's nuclear program by carrying out air strikes on some atomic facilities in Iran, Iranian officials have said Tehran would retaliate promptly and strongly to any such attack.

Tough talk
"If Israel behaves like a lunatic and attacks the Iranian nation's interests, we will come down on their heads like a mallet and break their bones," the ISNA students news agency quoted Revolutionary Guards Commander Yahya Rahim Safavi as saying on Wednesday.

Israel successfully tested its Arrow II anti-missile project in the United States last month. It was the seventh time the Arrow II had worked but the first time it had destroyed a Scud missile -- similar to the Shahab-3 -- in flight.

"The Israelis have recently tried to increase their missile capability and we will also try to upgrade our Shahab-3 missile in every respect," the ISNA students news agency quoted Shamkhani as saying last week.

He said the improvements to the Shahab-3 "will not be limited to the missile's range and will include all its specifications."

Iran deployed the Shahab-3 missiles to its Revolutionary Guards last July after preliminary field tests were successfully completed.

Iran has not said how many of the missiles have been manufactured. Military analysts say questions remain about its reliability and accuracy.

A senior Israeli defense source said Israel believed Tehran was developing a Shahab-4 missile with a range of 1,700 km (1,056 miles) capable of reaching Europe. Iran has denied this.

"This 'new and improved' Shahab-3 could well be Iran's way of producing the extended-range missile while avoiding the Mark-4 label, which would draw international concern," he said.

What does this say? To me it seems like Iran is intent on creating a missile that can't be defeated by Israeli ABM technology. Now, why would Iran want to do that? They are developing Nuclear Technology for 'peaceful' purposes, right?
Old 08-12-04, 09:22 AM

Israel successfully tested its Arrow II anti-missile project in the United States last month. It was the seventh time the Arrow II had worked but the first time it had destroyed a Scud missile -- similar to the Shahab-3 -- in flight.

I am a big proponent of the Arrow Theatre Missile Defense system, and greatly wish that the program be fully implemented. However, it should be noted that no upgrades to the Shahab-3 are truly required. The Shahab-3 travels at a velocity nearly three times that of the SCUD. The Arrow system has never been tested against anything approaching that speed. Hopefully it could be successful, but I hope more that we never find out.
Old 08-12-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Iran is still saddened by the loss of the WWF title by the Iron Shiek to Hulk Hogan
Old 08-12-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope they understand that if they attack Israel, we'll be transferring them some nuclear technology, except it will be used technology by the time it reaches ground level.
Old 08-12-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why do we allow Pakistan, India and Israel to have nuclear devices?
Old 08-12-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by CRM114
Why do we allow Pakistan, India and Israel to have nuclear devices?
We didn't let them have anything; they did it on their own. And with the exception of Pakistan, they're democratic, civilizated nations. We don't have to worry about India or Israel using their weapons for blackmail or giving them to terrorists. With Pakistan, we have fairly friendly relations with them at the moment, but I'm sure we have plans to secure the stockpile should the country's situation turn sour.

Can you not see the difference between Israel having nuclear weapons and Iran having nuclear weapons?

Last edited by BJacks; 08-12-04 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-12-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is that rhetorical or serious?

There isn't a law against having nuclear weapons. There is a law against signing the nuclear Nonproliferation treaty, then misdirecting the "peaceful use' help nuclear nations give you as a signer to weapons use. Israel never signed NPT and developed the weapons (that they may have, never officially acknowledged) entirely on their own. I'm not sure of the details on India and Pakistan. There are rumors of help from USSR and China. I think that would have been illegal as I think they didn't sign NPT.

I seriously question whether Palistan and India should have them as they don't seem very responsible with them.

Before you ask about us or others, NPT grandfathered the original five nuclear nations who are also permanent Security Council members. The five are allowed weapons programs, even though they signed NPT.
Old 08-12-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by BJacks
Can you not see the difference between Israel having nuclear weapons and Iran having nuclear weapons?
Not really. They are both governments with a huge religious influence. I don't trust any of them. We surely do have a measure of hypocrisy in this issue.

(Not that I want Iran or any other country to have nukes. Its only a matter of time however.)
Old 08-12-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CRM114
Not really. They are both governments with a huge religious influence. I don't trust any of them. We surely do have a measure of hypocrisy in this issue.
History has demonstrated that radical Islam is far more dangerous than radical Judaism.
Old 08-12-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everytime I demand nuclear devices I have to dodge a van full of guys shooting their AK's at me. It's just not fair
Old 08-12-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Israel may have a heavy religious influence, but it is not a theocracy.
Old 08-12-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think that ANY country who possesses and/or is developing nuclear weapons should be submitted to the same stringent standards/rules/regulations/inspections. This should apply to Israel too. They haven't signed the NPT and they probably have more secret weapons programs than any other country on the planet. I find it mindboggling that people would give them carte blanche to do anything they want because oh well they are democratic.

And yes, I can see the difference between Iran and Israel having nuclear weapons.
Old 08-12-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by silentbob007
Israel may have a heavy religious influence, but it is not a theocracy.
Nor is Judaism known to have a significant radical militant element that has a reputation for torturing and killing innocent civilians.

I know, I know... some of you will argue that the Israeli army fits into this category.
Old 08-12-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by eXcentris
I think that ANY country who possesses and/or is developing nuclear weapons should be submitted to the same stringent standards/rules/regulations/inspections. This should apply to Israel too. They haven't signed the NPT and they probably have more secret weapons programs than any other country on the planet. I find it mindboggling that people would give them carte blanche to do anything they want because oh well they are democratic.
That feeling may make good sense, but there is no legal basis for doing so. A nuclear nation is not allowed to help a non-nuclear nation with nuclear power unless they signed NPT. The inspections are the price of receiving assistance with peaceful nuclear power if you do sign and to make sure there is no diversion of material received for "peaceful" purposes.

In the cases of Iran, N. Korea, etc, they signed and are violating the treaty they signed, which gets people upset. India and Pakistan officially got no help because they didn't sign, but they also didn't get inspected (they probably got clandestine help).

(I don't know the rules for Canada. You are a non-nuclear nation in terms of weapons but obviously have a very capable nuclear power industry. I don't know whether you can help countries who haven't signed NPT or whether you would if you could. Do you know how it applies in your case?)
Old 08-12-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

"We are strong. We are smart. Give us the technology."

Last edited by kvrdave; 08-12-04 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-12-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Dabaomb
Iran is still saddened by the loss of the WWF title by the Iron Shiek to Hulk Hogan

I know I am.