Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

For People who workout, how much can you lift (bench press, deadlift, squat)?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-10-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious for those Otters who work out, how much can you lift (bench press, and deadlift, squat)?

Please add your height, weight, age and how long you've been working out as well cuz someone who weighs 125 and can bench press 225 lbs is not the same as someone who weighs 400 but can only bench 225 lbs. Plus, there's a difference between someone whose been training for 2 months vs. someone whose been training for for 20 years.

I'm 5'7" and about 155-160 now (dam those all you can eat Buffets in NC and those french fries every day for breakfast for 4 weeks ). I'm 24 going on 25 and have been working out on and off for about 4-5 years now.

Last time I maxed over a year ago when I weighed my normal weight of 150, I could bench press 225 for one rep but I'd say that I'd be able to do 245-255 lbs. I say this cuz I can easily do 185 lbs for 10 reps and could probably do 195 for 10 reps. A general rule of thumb for maxing is whatever you can do for 10 reps, multiply that by 1.3 or 1.33 (e.g. 185 * 1.3 = 240.5; 195 * 1.3 = 253.5)

I've never maxed out on deadlifts before but my last set is usually 275 lbs for 6 reps. I could probably do 275 lbs 10 times if I tried so using the 1.3 rule my max is 357.5 lbs.

My squats are my weakest cuz frankly I hate training legs (not being able to walk sucks). I used to go up to 225 for 6 reps as my last set but when I squat I like to go slightly below parallel (my but almost hits the back of my feet). Now, my last set is only 185 lbs for 6 reps. I'd say that back in the day I could probably squat somewhere in the 300-315 range for one rep but now it's more like 250 for one rep.

Oh yeah, my best friend is 5'4" and weighs 128 lbs with 4% body fat and he can max out at 300 lbs. He's a freak of nature. His little brother whose also 5'4" but weighs 140 lbs can hit 315 lbs (3 45 lb plates on each side).

If you feel like you need to workout, go to my Health Club in Otterville cuz it's open 24/7.
Old 08-10-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Sure, with your squaty little arms, that should be no problem

I can only guess on them, as I don't do "maxes".

I'm 6'3" and 240 lbs.

I bench 220 six times after having done a fair number of other reps.

I don't deadlift.

Oh and thanks for helping me out with what number comes after 24

Same thing for squats but it is 280 six times after other reps.
Old 08-10-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by kvrdave
Sure, with your squaty little arms, that should be no problem

I can only guess on them, as I don't do "maxes".

I'm 6'3" and 240 lbs.

I bench 220 six times after having done a fair number of other reps.

I don't deadlift.

Oh and thanks for helping me out with what number comes after 24

Same thing for squats but it is 280 six times after other reps.
well, since you're a candidate for treasurer, I figured that I'd help you out with your counting skills

Plus, I'm 25 in October so I'm really like 24.75.

And I actually have pretty long arms. Although I'm 5'7", I have a wingspan of about 5'10". Why I'm not 5'10" I have no clue. I'd kill to be 5'10" Maybe I should get some human growth hormone on the black market or something.

On the other hand, my friend whose 5'4" has short arms so I always tell him that's why he can lift so much. He works out in Chelsea in NYC and he's puttin' up 110 lb dumbbells on his last set and he says that ppl look at him. I tell him it's cuz: 1) Those dumbbells are bigger than he is and 2) he's an Asian male workin' out in Chelsea (lots of gay ppl there).
Old 08-10-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been working out on and off for a few yrs. Last yr I got really out of shape so this yr is basically just trying to get back where I was before.

I'm 24 - about 5'10" and 164 lbs. I'd like to get down to 155 lbs eventually (i've lost 20 lbs this yr) My bench is 215-ish - I'd like to get that up to atleast 235 or so, which is what it used to be - but I was 20 lbs heavier, this yr I can already tell i'm much more defined.

So, it's a work-in-progress. Legs are pretty weak, my knee was bothering me for awhile so I took a break.

All in all i'm pretty happy with the progress i've made this yr. It's a bit tough living at home cause I pretty much just eat whatever we have - when I move out next spring is when I can really diet and shed the rest of the weight.
Old 08-10-04, 12:15 PM

I'm 23 years old, 5'11, 150 pounds, almost no body fat.....

I can do about 150 pounds (never really exerted myself to try more)- but usually just bench 120 when I am at the gym....I don't want to bulk up - I like being just toned....

However, now that jtorres and I are going to the gym together (we will go for the first time tonight) I might consider doing more since he is there for support

I don't do squats - because i hate muscular legs - I just tone them up on the ellipse

Last edited by rentonpunk; 08-10-04 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-10-04, 12:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 5'11 190lbs

My max bench is 295. I don't do much heavy leg lifting.

I'm 25 and have been working out for 8 years.

I have long arms too, my wingspan is 6'4
Old 08-10-04, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 6'3" 210 lbs.

My max bench press is 320 lbs.

I don't do squats or deadlifts (too much pressure on the back).

I've been lifting steadily for about 6 years.
Old 08-10-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i'm 6'5" 220 lbs.
i haven't done any heavy lifting in about 2-3 years. my stats when i did were.
bench press-310
deadlift-550
squat-500
all for one rep. i was about 260 when i was hitting those numbers. i figured i'd rather lose some weight than be able to lift so much. i prefer the new and improved (weaker) me.
Old 08-10-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't been working out hard the past year so these are my max - now (2 years ago). Not an excuse, but I don't use a spotter except for bench. 2 years ago, I had a good buddy to push me more. Now its more like maintenance workouts.

Bench (1 rep max) - 275 (295) -
Deadlift (5 reps, haven't tried 1 rep) - 325 (375)
squat (3 reps) - 275 (305) - I can do heavier, but don't want to try

6'1" , 195lbs (210 lbs)
Old 08-10-04, 01:52 PM
Suspended

I'm 6' even, 195 lbs. Havent lifted for a couple years. But I never lifted more than 205. I was never into power lifting. Rather less weight and more reps.
Old 08-10-04, 02:01 PM

I've been trying to lose a little weight lately, so the numbers have gone down. I haven't maxed for a while, but I've been doing low reps, so I have a general idea of where I am.

Bench ~240
Deadlift ~405
Squat about ~325

I've been lifting on and off for 8 years. I'm 6' and about 195. Those numbers should go up quite a bit this winter when I stop running 5k almost every day and doing a little more power lifting.
Old 08-10-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm 5'11" and I bench 6000 pounds.
Old 08-10-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Im 6'1, 170-175.. couldnt list weights.. Ive just gotten into working out in the past month or so.. and Im using weight machines, instead of freeweights.. (because thats what our community center has available, and its a really nice place to workout)

I thought I was doing pretty well though.. I basically was using the same weight settings as most of the other guys that come n there.. with a few exceptions.. (Ive got to go light on the shoulder weights still.. those are a bitch!)

anyways.. last weekend.. my brother was down for a couple days to hang out before he goes off to college on a baseball scholarship.. and we went to workout together.. He is same height and weight as me.. But keep in mind, he was starting QB all through highschool, league batting leader in baseball, and a starting forward on the basketball team.. so he has been working out daily for the past 5 years or so..
as I mentioned.. he is still the same height/weight as me.. so it was pretty embarrassing when we got in there and I noticed he was setting the weights twice as high as me on most machines, and 3 times as high on a few.. Alot of them, he was using the very highest weight setting and when I asked about it, he complained that our gym didnt have enough weights..
but he was also benching well over 300 all the way through highschool.. it was just a bit surprising to see, because you cant tell by looking at him.
Old 08-10-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't lift, but I've been thinking about bench presses lately. (I'm starting to realize that being 6'2" and over 300lbs at the age of 24 is NOT a good thing. And, it's as attractive as being an ogre.)

Anyway, if you do declined bench presses, can that help build your chest better than just the average bench presses? Does it improve your max by much? Thanks....
Old 08-10-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by scroll2b
(I'm starting to realize that being 6'2" and over 300lbs at the age of 24 is NOT a good thing. And, it's as attractive as being an ogre.)

Old 08-10-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by scroll2b
Anyway, if you do declined bench presses, can that help build your chest better than just the average bench presses? Does it improve your max by much? Thanks....
the mistake that most ppl do when they workout chest is that they only do regular flat bench press. If you do this, you will develop man boobs. The chest is two distinct muscles, upper pec and middle pec (sorry I don't know the exact terms off the top of my head).

If you could only do one of the 3 chest presses (flat, incline, decline), I would do incline. With incline you still work the middle chest but you also work the upper chest and the front deltoids (shoulder).

Most ppl, including myself, place the least focus on decline but it's still necessary. Decline bench presses also give you the bottom cup of the pecs which prevents man boobs. You can also develop the lower pec by doing dips (but you need to go all the way down since the upper portion of the exercise focuses on triceps).

Other chest exercises are chest press (you sit in a chair and there are two handles in front of you and you press them forward), flies (cable or dumbbell), and pec dec flies.

Make sure you mix up your workouts or your body gets used to the exercises.

If you've never really lifted before, I'd recommend finding a buddy who knows how to workout to help you out or get a trainer for a few sessions.

Oh yeah, ogres are in high demand (I mean, Shrek 2 has grossed over $435 million in the US alone).
Old 08-10-04, 02:41 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Dabaomb
Most ppl, including myself, place the least focus on decline but it's still necessary.
It was the opposite for me. I would place the least focus on the incline. Flat and decline I was always able to accomplish with no problems, but incline for some reason I always struggled with.
Old 08-10-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Dabaomb

Make sure you mix up your workouts or your body gets used to the exercises.
please explain this statement
Old 08-10-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MJKTool
It was the opposite for me. I would place the least focus on the incline. Flat and decline I was always able to accomplish with no problems, but incline for some reason I always struggled with.
incline is the barometer for chest strength. If you do incline, you could probably eliminite flat bench from your workout and still have nearly the same results. But if you eliminate incline from your workout you can't say the same thing.

ppl think I'm wierd cuz I can almost do as much on incline as I can on flat bench press.

Incline is the hardest of the 3 presses because you're placing more emphasis on your front deltoids. The more vertical you go with the press, the harder it is (this is why military/shoulder presses are the hardest). Conversely, the more decline you go the easier the lift because the stress is being taken off of your shoulders and placed onto your chest/triceps.

I also don't always do decline because if you don't have a spot and you get stuck, you can die because there's no way to get the bar off of you and it will eventually go down to your neck and crush your throat.

With flat bench you can roll the bar off of you (just watch out for your nuts). Incline is the easiest to get the bar off of you if you get stuck. I've seen ppl lift without clips and let teh weights fall off each side, but I wouldn't recommend that. I always use clips cuz if you don't have good balance the weights will gradually start to fall off.

Last edited by Dabaomb; 08-24-04 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-10-04, 02:53 PM
Suspended

Nice explanation Dabaomb
Old 08-10-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

5'10, 165, max lift is around 175 i think. I thought I was in pretty good shape til I read this thread, but tonight I'm doing chest and triceps so maybe I'll see what I can do. I'm actually one of the few that is trying to add on weight(well, muscle at least), but finding it hard to add anything but fat.
Old 08-10-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by twikoff
please explain this statement
Basically, you can't do the same thing every workout. There are very subtle ways to mix up your workout.

The most obvious way is to do different exercises.

Another way is simply mixing up the order of your workout (For example, if you do flat bench, incline, decline one workout, on your next workout, you could do incline, decline, then flat bench)

You can also use different grips on the bar. The closer your grip the greater the emphasis on your triceps. The wider your grip, the more outside chest you do.

You can also mix up using barbell and dumbbells. For inner chest you can mix up the types of flyes you do (cables, dumbbells, pec dec). With cables you can use different angles.

You can also mix up the poundage and reps that you use. For example, you could do low reps/heavy weights or high reps/light weights. You can pyramid up (e.g. set 1: 135 lbs for 10 reps, set 2: 145 lbs for 8 reps, set 3: 155 lbs for 6 reps, set 4: 165 lbs for 4 reps). You could also do reverse pyramids (work heavy to light).

Right now, I just started doing heavy weights with 5 reps per set. Parcher advised me to do this and he seems to know what he's talkin' about so I'm giving it a shot. However, this was very tiring and I needed a lot more rest time than I normally do.

Edit: I forgot to mention that when training any muscle, you also need to train the secondary muscles (for example with chest you also use triceps and front deltoids). You don't have to train them on the same day (personally I train chest and triceps on separate days because after I do chest, my triceps are slightly fatigued but not fatigued enough to get that "sore" feeling that's needed for muscle growth). Some ppl like to work the secondary muscles on the same day (e.g. train triceps the same day as chest and biceps on the same day as back). Parcher likes to do total body workouts but that's just too much for me in one day. Everyone's body is different and the more you workout, the more you'll learn what works for you.

Last edited by Dabaomb; 08-10-04 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-10-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I prefer doing dumbells over barbells, but do a pretty even mix of both. Dumbells will help other supporting and stabilizing muscles as well.

My max barbell is 275 which is lower than where I should be, but I can do 110 lb dumbells which is decent.
Old 08-10-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by grrrah
I prefer doing dumbells over barbells, but do a pretty even mix of both. Dumbells will help other supporting and stabilizing muscles as well.

My max barbell is 275 which is lower than where I should be, but I can do 110 lb dumbells which is decent.
dumbbells are definitely better for balance and if one side is weaker/stronger than the other.

I like barbell better because it's much easier to do forced reps with them.

On the other hand, dumbbells are good if you don't have a spot and you're trying to go heavy.
Old 08-10-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, guys, how often do you lift? I'm almost 22, 5'10'', ~155 lbs, and I've never really lifted to gain mass (I've done it more for the additional tone, speed and stamina). Right now I can squat/curl/bp 165, but I'm considering pushing myself a bit more to see what I can do.

I've been slacking off for the past few months (doing a ~full-body routine with free weights 1-2x a week rather than 3, as I had for the past several years). I really want to get back to doing it 3x a week (as I have lost some of my already small amount of mass), but is that advisable if I start to lift heavier weights?

If this matters, I run and do ab work on the days that I don't "play" with the weights.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.